Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Has anyone used Redweek's Full Service Timeshare Resale to sell their timeshare?????

Dec 27, 2013

I am just now looking into how to sell my timeshare. Has anyone sold their timeshare using redweek's Full Service Timeshare Resale? What was your experience? What was your total out of pocket expense? Anything I should be aware of?

Sandra L.

Last edited by sandral252 on Dec 27, 2013 08:30 AM

Dec 27, 2013

sandral252 wrote:
Anything I should be aware of?

It's possible that their commission (about $1500) will be more than what the timeshare is worth.

Lance C.
Dec 27, 2013

Can you break that down for me? What wold make up the $1500 commission? Can you tell me a better way to sell my timeshare? Thanks!

Sandra L.
Dec 27, 2013

Here is RedWeek's breakdown:

http://www.redweek.com/full-service-timeshare-resales/

One thousand five hundred might be a high estimate but RedWeek's charge still might be more than what your timeshare is worth. Most (probably over 90%) timeshares are worth around zero dollars on the resale market. You might even have to offer to just give your unit away.

If you want to sell, list it on reputable listing sites such as here on RedWeek, Bidshares, Craigslist, My Resort Network, Timeshare Users Group (aka"TUG"), or E-bay.

Make sure your unit is priced realistically. Keep watch in your e-mail for replies and inquiries to your ad.

Make sure above all that you never ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare.

Lance C.
Dec 28, 2013

Thanks. I just found out from Pueblo Bonito (where I have my timeshare) that they charge a $500 transfer fee and do all the paperwork. Don't need to go through a 3rd party once I find a buyer.

Sandra L.
Jan 06, 2014

So once you find a buyer, you pay Pueblo Bonito the $500 transfer fee and they handle the entire transaction, and the buyer pays you directly? I'm interested as I also have a timeshare at Pueblo Bonito and interested in selling.

Tony C.
Jan 07, 2014

Just make sure you don't pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell it. Also, most timeshares in Mexico are worth about zero dollars so be realistic when expecting to sell.

Lance C.
Jan 08, 2014

Yes, they were actually very helpful when I sent them an email inquiring about it. I was thinking of just giving my timeshare away, or selling it for $1. They will take it back for a $500 fee and will handle all the paperwork. Or, if I sell it, I just need to send them the notarized paperwork and the will take care of everything for a $500 fee. You might want to send them an email and ask them, so you have it all in writing.

Sandra L.
Jan 08, 2014

Gee... what could possibly go wrong. How about you're out $ 500 and still owe the next years maintaenace fees. NEVER pay anyone money upfront to sell, rent or donate your timeshare

Don P.
Feb 16, 2014

When buying via resale, what does the buyer pay? Is it the fees, is the seller responsible? Do I keep all those credits for as long as I want to own, and do they populate into my account yearly. I currently have Worldmark credits, and am thinking of raising my credits to increase my vacation options. Thanks for you input.

Tim B.
Feb 16, 2014

timb131 wrote:
When buying via resale, what does the buyer pay? Is it the fees, is the seller responsible? Do I keep all those credits for as long as I want to own, and do they populate into my account yearly. I currently have Worldmark credits, and am thinking of raising my credits to increase my vacation options. Thanks for you input.
When buying resale, the buyer pays whatever they buyer and seller agree upon. Once upon a time buyers paid all closing costs and transfer fees. Now depending on what is being sold and for how much it can be paid by either. You just have to decide what your "all in" amount is that you are willing to pay. It doesn't really matter if Seller A has a list price of $1000 with the buyer paying a $299 transfer fee and a $300 closing cost plus $600 for this year's MF but is including the transfer of the credits and Seller B has price of $2199 but is paying all the fees and also including the credits.

Tracey S.
Feb 17, 2014

sandral252 wrote:
They will take it back for a $500 fee and will handle all the paperwork.

This is your best and easiest option for ridding yourself of your timeshare ..... most resorts don't take deed backs .... you're lucky that this resort does even with the $500 fee.

R P.
Feb 18, 2014

Yes, and I'm going to do it before they change their policy.

Sandra L.
Mar 05, 2014

We are long time owners of 3 weeks with Marriott. One week at OceanWatch (Myrtle Beach) one Platinum and one Gold at Ocean Pointe (PalmBeach Shores, FL). Have had amazing family vacations all over the globe via exchange. We have rented our weeks for the last several years through REDWEEK with awesome results.

With two in college, we think it is time to sell one unit, probably the GOLD at OceanPointe. Question is - How do you price the units? The selling process at the locations has changed over the years and would think a savvy buyer would buy RESALE vs NEW with Marriott.

Are there other costs involved with SALE via REDWEEK other than the posting fee of $125?

What is the typical turn around time to sell?

Is it better to keep the units; rent via REDWEEK to cover costs?

Any advise would be brilliant.

Thanks,

Deborah C.
Mar 06, 2014

These are the current fees listed for the full service resale option: What it costs: $125 resale posting Active membership: $14.99 for 12 months On successful sale: $399.00 or 3% of resale price (whichever is greater)

If you go to Sell or Rent your Timeshare and click on FAQ "Does Redweek offer a full service resale option?" you can get all the details.

Tracey S.
Mar 06, 2014

deborah417 wrote:
With two in college, we think it is time to sell one unit, probably the GOLD at OceanPointe. Question is - How do you price the units? The selling process at the locations has changed over the years and would think a savvy buyer would buy RESALE vs NEW with Marriott.

What is the typical turn around time to sell?

Is it better to keep the units; rent via REDWEEK to cover costs?

Any advise would be brilliant.

Thanks,

Research via Redweek, other timeshare listing sites or closed auctions on Ebay what similar units at your resort sold for ... the listing price means nothing .... the price it was sold for is the key.

Yes, a savvy timeshare educated buyer would buy on the resale market but not all people are timeshare educated.

You might contact Marriott to see if they will buy back your deed.

There is no typical turn around to sell and it may not sell at all .... depends on what someone is looking for.

It's your choice to keep the timeshare and try to rent it via Redweek or to sell .... just remember that just because you list it for rent that someone WILL rent it.

R P.
Jan 12, 2017

So has anyone actually ever sold their timeshare on redweek and netted any positive amount of money? Anyone at all?

Bruce M.
Jan 12, 2017

brucem385 wrote:
So has anyone actually ever sold their timeshare on redweek and netted any positive amount of money? Anyone at all?

The owner sets the selling price, so you can't necessarily credit or blame any particular site for the success of an ad. The advantage on RedWeek is that only paid members can respond to ads, effectively weeding out the scammers and spammers and tire kickers.

To directly answer your question, yes --- I sold TWO weeks on RedWeek in the past two years. Netted little or no profit, but that's not RedWeek's fault --- the market "is what it is". The "full service" option did not even exist on RedWeek at that time, but I would not have used it anyhow. If a week being offered for sale if of interest to someone, then someone will buy it. If it's a low demand, off season studio week in East Timbuktu for which the seller is seeking entirely too much money well, "you can't shine a sneaker".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 12, 2017 02:03 PM

Jan 12, 2017

hi thanks very much for the reply. I'm not blaming redweek I was just trying to determine if anyone was able to sell their timeshare and to determine if I want to just pay my timeshare place to take it back or if I want to just try to rent it out every other year to break even on my maintenance fees.

What would be really great is if there was someway of seeing what a listing sold for much like when a house sells or like when something sells on ebay. Redweek should consider adding that feature as it might help people to price their timeshares for sale appropriately instead of just relying on what the list price of similar timeshares are because as we all know lists prices don't tell anyone how much things are really selling for. :) Cheers!

Bruce M.
Jan 12, 2017

Bruce -

We do have a page that will give you the historical rental and resale data for your resort: What Is My Timeshare Worth

This data is based on what the owner has reported when deactivating their posting.

If you have further questions, please Contact Us .

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.