Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Looking to Rid Myself of Diamond Resorts

Feb 28, 2014

I have 5000 pts with DRI North American Collection (or something like that). I really am not interested in using them anymore, ever.

Given that they are difficult to sell and use if you buy them on the secondary market, I am just thinking of telling them that I will no longer be paying the maintenance fees and they can take my interest back.

Any thoughts on this?

Andres K.
Feb 28, 2014

Have you even tried to sell or give them away?

As for the idea of "telling them that [you] will no longer be paying the maintenance fees and they can take [your] interest back" at least you're giving them the option to take your interest back rather than just doing nothing.

Sometimes resorts will take interests back if you ask them to or if you give them an ultimatum.

My best advice though would be to watch out for some of these scam operations and questionable law firms that promise to get you out of your timeshare obligation if you pay them an upfront fee.

Lance C.
Feb 28, 2014

Thank you for your reply.

I have not tried selling them or giving them away. I see several listing on this site with no takers. E-bay sales often go for $1-2 (plus I would have to become current with my dues).

It just seems that I should try to hassle with Diamond directly.

Andres K.
Mar 01, 2014

andyk45 wrote:
I have 5000 pts with DRI North American Collection (or something like that). I really am not interested in using them anymore, ever.

Given that they are difficult to sell and use if you buy them on the secondary market, I am just thinking of telling them that I will no longer be paying the maintenance fees and they can take my interest back.

Any thoughts on this?

When you try to sell them, don't say you have points with the North American Collection because that means nothing as there is no North American Collection. In North America, DRI has different collections. There is the Hawaii Collection, the California Collection and the US Collection. People may feel you're a scammer if you provide wrong information. It is also important that you know exactly what you are selling and what type of timeshare you have. Are they deeded points, Club points, etc.?

Charles S.
Mar 29, 2014

Good Luck on ridding yourself of DRI! They are almost impossible to get DRI to agree to taking your points back. You usually have to prove a hardship for them to agree. (And then, it still is on a case by case basis)! I did research!

Loss Mitigation Department takes care of the rescinding of your "contract". You also cannot rent out your points for profit, even if it is just to pay your yearly fees.

That department is is very backed up on taking back contracts. They also have requirements beside the hardship proof. 1) Must be current on your maintenance fees. 2) You have NOT used the current years point allotment. 3) If there were any special assessments like the Hawaii Collection had, that also must be paid in full! 4) When they finally get to your paperwork to take back your "contract", which could be several months, they will mail you the papers to sign and you must get notarized and return mail the documents back to them in 15 days. 5) You will also be required to send them $250.00 per "contract" along with the notarized documents.

Your best bet is to get ahold of the documents needed to transfer your "contract"/points, (which I heard is hard to get the form, and takes awhile), so you can have your papers ready to go ASAP, and sell (giveaway) your points on eBay, Tug, RedWeek, etc. and offer to pay the $250.00 transfer fee for the buyer. DRI also has right of first refusal on your points.

If you have used some of your points already this year, and are paid up in fees, make that very clear in your ad, including your yearly MF. Or you can carry over any points ASAP to the next year, pay next years fee, and offer to pay the $250.00 just to make the deal more attractive. Do not expect to make any money on this!

The buyer will not get any perks you may have, like The Club, etc., and will be strictly enforced to use the points only in the "Collection" the points are associated with...it's up to the new buyer to "clean up" the now "dirty" points if they want to use the points in another Collection, which means they will have to buy Retail Points from DRI, even if they already own retail points. That means it could eventually cost the new owner many thousands of dollars to be able to use them fully throughout the world.

Check out Diamond Resorts Members group on FB and ask to join. This is a private group that is mostly currently from the EU Collection, but growing quickly. They try to help each member get the most use out of their membership, but there is a file you can access once you are accepted into the closed group, that you can put your points up for sale or message owners that may be looking for some points in a certain collection you may have!

Good Luck, and I hope you choose which method may be the best for you!

C S.
Mar 30, 2014

Thank you for the information. I have listed my points for free at a couple of places. So far no bites. I will probably roll over the points which will give me some time and dump them on e-bay.

Exactly what happens if I just refuse to pay, other than harassing phone calls from collections?

Andres K.
Mar 31, 2014

I'm not exactly sure what happens if you just refuse to pay. It is a very large company with big lawyers.

I'm sure the harassment will start. I didn't research that aspect, since I didn't want to even think about the stress.

I'm sure your credit would take a hit, but if that didn't matter to you at this time, then it is your decision to make the choice that you feel would be most comfortable with.

I did forget to mention in the requirements to relinquishment is that if you had a mortgage for your DRI collection, that must be also paid in full.

Only you can decide what to do!

Keep us updated on what you end up doing and the results.

Thank You!

C S.
Apr 01, 2014

andyk45 wrote:
Thank you for the information. I have listed my points for free at a couple of places. So far no bites. I will probably roll over the points which will give me some time and dump them on e-bay.

Exactly what happens if I just refuse to pay, other than harassing phone calls from collections?

Andyk45,

I would advise you to read your Club documents regarding Club rules. It is very clear what happens if you don't pay your maintenance fees. DRI will take away your points . Review the document.

Charles S.
May 06, 2014

It's only what's in the written contract that counts in a court of law .... not what was said in a presentation since the verbal presentation can't be proven = 'he said ... she said' and vice versa.

R P.

Last edited by phyl21 on May 06, 2014 09:39 AM

May 06, 2014

jonathanw94 wrote:
This is what we do. We will force back your contract to DR. They "will" take it back. But, we only help people that feel as if its become a financial burden ...

How can they prove it's a financial burden?

R P.

Last edited by phyl21 on May 06, 2014 09:40 AM

May 06, 2014

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be a financial burden or being misled. But we choose to only help those in need. Not someone who just doesn't want it any longer. This is not a negotiation. You "will" be exited from your ownership.

Jonathan W.

Last edited by phyl21 on May 06, 2014 09:41 AM

May 06, 2014

SCAM !!!!! NEVER pay anyone money upfront to rent or sell your timeshare. You might as well just throw your money away instead of giving it to the scammers.

Don P.
May 06, 2014

CAN ANYONE HELP !! my first time on red week. it was recommended by timeshare answers.com. my in-laws urchased 2 one bedroom units @ world golf villas in st. augustine...20 years ago..no mortgage anymore she spents 1,300 in maintanence. she doesn't want it...my wife and i don't want it....could you please help recommend a newbie to this timeshare madness ? this timeshare thing sounded great to my father-in-law 20 yrs ago..but he's dead 10 years now..and the bluegreen units have sat empty 17 out of the 20 years..my family and i used it for outside of disney world and didnt like the resort we stayed at. can we just not pay next year's maintanence and walk away ? i'm concerned how this might effect her credit. thank you in advance for your help/comments/advice.....brian quinn

Brian Q.

Last edited by brianq18 on May 06, 2014 11:51 AM

May 06, 2014

I'm a little confused here.

Does your family own Diamond Resorts points and Bluegreen points?

If DRI, is there a deed attached to the points?

Please let us know. Thank You!

C S.
May 07, 2014

brianq18 wrote:
CAN ANYONE HELP !! my first time on red week. it was recommended by timeshare answers.com. my in-laws urchased 2 one bedroom units @ world golf villas in st. augustine...20 years ago..no mortgage anymore she spents 1,300 in maintanence. she doesn't want it...my wife and i don't want it....could you please help recommend a newbie to this timeshare madness ? this timeshare thing sounded great to my father-in-law 20 yrs ago..but he's dead 10 years now..and the bluegreen units have sat empty 17 out of the 20 years..my family and i used it for outside of disney world and didnt like the resort we stayed at. can we just not pay next year's maintanence and walk away ? i'm concerned how this might effect her credit. thank you in advance for your help/comments/advice.....brian quinn

If she merely wants to rid herself of ownership you could suggest that she place an ad in Redweek's Bargain Resales to give it away and offer to pay closing cost:

http://www.redweek.com/featured/bargain-timeshare-resales

Also, depending on your mother-in-law's age .... if she isn't planning on purchasing something on credit or finding a job, then her credit rating shouldn't make a difference one way or the other.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on May 07, 2014 08:47 AM

Sep 13, 2017

I just completed a deedback with Diamond resorts ..if you do not pay your maintenance fees they will sue you and foreclose on the property. It really is worth it to just deed it back ..hopefully you got many years out of the arrangement :)

Lori G.
Sep 14, 2017

lorig366 wrote:
I just completed a deedback with Diamond resorts ..if you do not pay your maintenance fees they will sue you and foreclose on the property. It really is worth it to just deed it back..hopefully you got many years out of the arrangement :)

Neither Diamond nor any other timeshare entity will ever "sue" over unpaid maintenance fees, regardless of any incorrect perceptions (or idle threats) to the contrary. It's quite simply not worth the bother or the expense for them to do so.

There may be collection agency involvement and aggressive collection efforts. Ultimately, there will indeed be a foreclosure. But there will be NO lawsuits; any such assertion is simply inaccurate.

I have absolutely no use for Diamond (or Wyndham, or Westgate either), but I nonetheless respect that DRI implemented a "deedback" program to provide a clean, lawful exit ramp for those who are "done" with DRI (...and have no unpaid loans or unpaid maintenance fees).

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 14, 2017 06:07 AM

Sep 14, 2017

Neither Diamond nor any other timeshare entity will ever "sue" over unpaid maintenance fees, regardless of any incorrect perceptions (or idle threats) to the contrary. It's quite simply not worth the bother or the expense for them to do so.

Then you had better inform them of that fact as I just got a lawsuit notice from them for non-payment of maintenance fees 2 weeks ago lol. Of course, the Deedback was completed and after I contacted them with proof of that, they withdrew the notice to forclose.

Lori G.
Sep 14, 2017

lorig366 wrote:
I just got a lawsuit notice from them for non-payment of maintenance fees 2 weeks ago lol. Of course, the Deedback was completed and after I contacted them with proof of that, they withdrew the notice to forclose.

Not to split hairs here, but to be very clear and factually accurate in case you do not understand the distinction between the two, a foreclosure is *NOT* a "lawsuit". In any case, I'm glad that you were able to successfully complete a deedback.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 19, 2017 06:35 AM

Oct 17, 2017

sell for cheap, or use exit services. make sure they offer a guarantee.

Ron J.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.