Mar 03, 2014

We have a Marriott Maui timeshare platimun 2 bedroom time share...has anyone ever sold a Marriott and how do you go about it.

Carolyn T.
Mar 03, 2014

This is not a posting to sell the timeshare...just seeking information from anyone who has dealt with Marriott and can give info on how best to proceed.

Carolyn T.
Mar 03, 2014

carolynt124 wrote:
This is not a posting to sell the timeshare...just seeking information from anyone who has dealt with Marriott and can give info on how best to proceed.

I've never dealt with Marriott but I can tell you what not to do. The cardinal rule for selling a timeshare is to never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to do so.

A Marriott in Maui probably has some good value. You can list it for sale here on RedWeek or other reputable resale sites such as My Resort Network, Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"), E-bay, or Bidshares. Check what similar units at that resort are listing and selling for. Then price yours competitively.

Since yours probably has some value, you might also consider using a reputable broker. One good site is ltrba.com. If you consult with them, they will tell you what they realistically can and can not do. Just remember they charge a minimum $1000 or 15% commission.

If you think you can do it yourself, answer the inquirers to your ads courteously and professionally. Once you do find a buyer and an agreed-upon price, I would use a professional closing company such as JRA or Timeshare Transfer. They'll handle the escrow and disburse the funds properly.

Lance C.
Mar 04, 2014

I've read that some Marriott's are enforcing their ROFR rights (Right of First Refusal) regarding resales .... contact your Marriott resort to see if yours is one of those.

To figure out what your Marriott timeshare might be worth on the resale market go to Ebay's completed timeshare auctions and enter your resort, location, bedrooms and category of time owned.

carolynt124 wrote:

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Mar 04, 2014 08:14 AM

Mar 04, 2014

Via a quick scan of Marriott Maui's, platinum, 2 bed completed auctions on Ebay (these are 2 bedrooms, platinum):

$6700 $8100 $8101 $8600

As Lance stated above never pay any resale entity an upfront fee to sell your timeshare .... there is a listing fee on Redweek and Ebay but that is legit.

You can also look here at Redweek for your resort to see the 2 bedroom, platinum category, Marriotts on Maui that's been sold and what they sold for.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Mar 04, 2014 08:12 AM

Mar 04, 2014

Marriott also has a resale division where they will offer to buy your week outright (to deposit into the Vacation Destination Club trust) or can broker a resale if someone specifically wants weeks (as they no longer sell points). Their commission is fairly high but you can find out how many weeks they have of your type to get an idea of how long it would take. Even if you decide not to go with Marriott it is good to get a quote from them. https://www.marriottvacationclub.com/resales/index.shtml

Ocean Front and Ocean Views go at a premium but even island/mountain view 2 br's usually sell for a good price. Make sure when you check ebay that you are comparing the same views. I think all Hawaiian Marriotts are categorized as Platinum.

Tracey S.
Mar 17, 2014

Don't know if this will answer your question but I hope it provides you with some helpful information. I have purchased two Marriott Maui Ocean Club timeshares as resales. Both are 1 bedroom, 2 bath units, every other year usage (wanted every other year as I go elsewhere on the non-use year). Bought the first one from a timeshare resale company, Preferred Timeshare Resales Paid $3,000 plus closing costs. Bought the second one (same use year, also 1 bedroom) on Ebay. Paid under $1,800. In my opinion both prices were bargains so price your timeshare wisely or it may not sell. I was very satisfied with the service provided by Preferred Timeshare Resales.

Robert B.
Apr 11, 2014

Sat in on a sales presentation today at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club on Oahu. The sales guy told me that if I bought a resale from a third party, I would only be able to reserve a unit 60 days in advance (while retail customers can reserve/book 12 months in advance). Do you know if this is true? Or just a sales guy's scare tactic? Thanks.

Morris K.
Apr 11, 2014

Sounds like a scare tactic. Have had my Maui Ocean club resale unit and have not run into any problems booking it tweleve months in advance.

Robert B.
Apr 12, 2014

morrisk2 wrote:
Sat in on a sales presentation today at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club on Oahu. The sales guy told me that if I bought a resale from a third party, I would only be able to reserve a unit 60 days in advance (while retail customers can reserve/book 12 months in advance). Do you know if this is true? Or just a sales guy's scare tactic? Thanks.

If you're talking about a buying a week from a third party, then that is incorrect. If you're talking about buying points from a third party AND you don't pay the additional Marriott fees, then yes there are limitations.

Charles S.
May 01, 2014

Contact Marriott to see if they are buying back your timeshare

Tom T.
Aug 31, 2014

To sell your Marriott TS, as a seller you need to contact the Sales Office and Owner Services to notify them first and they will email you the necessary paperwork and let you know what things they need from you, including the ROFR from 99.9% of their TS's (as a seller, do your research of prices of ROFR before you come up with a price to sell your TS). They also need a valid TS Sales Contract, which you can have drawn up yourself, but they specify certain things it must include. It's all pretty easy to do yourself. Marriott takes care of handling the transaction and in total for an international transfer is only cost $300.00; everything is done electronically and both parties are kept informed.

The key is building up the trust in the seller/buyer relationship PRIOR to going to Marriott so things run smoothly. I was warned by Marriott Owner Services that the biggest mistake most people make is not having their paperwork in order and sending it in all at the same time. I put together a checklist, and used this and emailed or faxed everything to the buyer. He was a CEO and said he never saw anyone so efficient in his life! Everything ran so smoothly. Marriott was the one that took longer, only because it was international and we had to wait for papers from outside the US to be mailed back to Marriott in the US, then back to us. In total, it only took 3 weeks...very smooth transaction and no Realtor was needed because Marriott takes care of all the paperwork and transfer of names. Everyone was very happy in throughout the process and in the end.

Karen D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.