First time buyer in need of help

Misty P.
Mar 23, 2014

mistyp35 wrote:
First time buyer in need of help

What kind of help do you need?

R P.
Mar 24, 2014

Check out the sticky threads on Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG") that give great advice to potential buyers:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

or this series of articles:

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/tug_timeshare_advice.shtml#Buying__Selling_Timeshares

Lance C.
Mar 27, 2014

Before you buy be sure the time share is re sell able, also be sure the tax and maintenance has a history of stability and reasonable price compared to what you could rent the time share for. Check reviews from owners, do not buy fixed weeks, only buy red weeks that float and be sure you get 52 weeks of float not just the cast of weeks. Inland time shares are a dime a dozen, but ocean front ( not ocean view ) time shares at 4 or 5 star resorts are great to use and easy to rent or trade. Remember no mater what you buy Location Location Location is #1. Best Randy

Diane R.
Mar 27, 2014

chasehome wrote:
...do not buy fixed weeks, only buy red weeks that float and be sure you get 52 weeks of float not just the cast of weeks.

Why would you sternly advise against buying fixed weeks? I know floating and fixed weeks both have their advantages and drawbacks. But if one wants to vacation at the same time each year, fixed weeks can be great.

Have you read the numerous complaints from owners at The Manhattan Club where it is predominantly floating weeks? Many are so disgruntled because they can never get a week or interval.

If someone is going to buy, then he should do his homework and analyze his situation, finances, and future traveling needs and desires before making a commitment.

Lance C.
May 27, 2014

I would agree with this last poster. "Sometimes" a fixed week can be a good thing. For example, a fixed July summer week at beach resort with an ocean front is going to be very high in demand. WIth most timeshares there are just a few weeks that are in high demand and then the rest are almost worthless. So do your research. Those resorts that are only floating you want to make sure you get the platinum weeks...purchasing anything less to save money now usually makes it difficult to get rid of when you finally one to.

Ruth W.
May 28, 2014

I was under the impression that the buyer wanted to be able to rent as well as use. I always book a year in advance and have had no problems with my choice of weeks. What you said is very valid, do your homework. Best Randy

Diane R.
May 28, 2014

If you own the week then you can most certainly rent it out. What you can't rent out are exchanges that you've traded for via an exchange company.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.