Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Four Seasons Aviara In House Broker Shut Out

Apr 01, 2014

According to "Luxury Residence Club Resales", FS's in house broker, if you buy a resale from any broker but themselves, "Ownerships purchased from private individuals or other brokers are not eligible for the Four Seasons Exchange Program (Club Exchange) or Four Seasons Accommodations Credits (FSAC) programs." In other words, you can't exchange your Aviara week for a Scottsdale Week or use your week to get into another Four Seasons property (eg Punta Mita) unless you buy your resale unit from this particular broker, who charges a $2000 commission regardless of selling price.

This sounds to me like FS has stripped owners of a key owner benefit unless they use the (expensive) in house broker. I am not a lawyer but that sounds to me like an antitrust violation, as well as an illegal taking.

Any lawyers care to comment?

And yes, I have a week I am thinking of sellling. I bought it specifically to get into Punta Mita on the cheap. FS runs a lottery each year for exchange into Punta Mita and it seems like the odds are about 50%.

Russ G.
Apr 25, 2014

I'm interesting in buy FS Aviara, and just sent an email to them. I didn't know about the fee of $2000!

Do you know how come many resale week start from $1000, surprisingly low. Is it because the maintenance fee is so high? People who isn't using the week have to rent out to cover the maintenance fee? I wonder about the success rate of renting out the week when the owner is not using it.

Thank you

Chadapim U.
Apr 25, 2014

FS Aviara has two bedroom villas that can be split into a one bedroom studio and a one bedroom/livingroom unit. I doubt you can rent a full two bedroom two and a half bath, kitchen, dr, living room for a week for $1000. That would buy you about one day at the normal rate.

Also the season has big influence. High season (mid summer) is usually sold out. There is some kind of horse race in the middle of summer and that is the peak period.

Russ G.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.