Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

MVC Kauai Beach Club - Gift for Listening to Pitch?

Apr 19, 2014

I'm at the Kauai Beach Club on a rented week purchased through RedWeek. I've tossed around the idea of buying a MVC package before but have never pulled the trigger. They have reps in the lobby and am sure they're offering some sort of enticement to listen to their pitch. Rather than asking them directly, I thought I'd ask this group if anyone knew what the gift would be. Any advice/information you have would be appreciated.

Patrick M.
Apr 19, 2014

NEVER buy from the developer. You can get a much better deal on a resale for pennies on the dollar.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Apr 19, 2014 03:03 PM

Apr 19, 2014

Folks. I am not going to buy anything. I promise. But if they're offering a $500 resort credit of something, I'll sit through the pitch. My one and only question is if anyone knows what carrot they tangle. Thank you.

Patrick M.
Apr 20, 2014

BUY A CUP OF COFFEE AND STAND NEAR THEIR DESK LOOKING AROUND LIKE YOU HAVE NO INTEREST AND ONE OF THOSE SALESMAN WILL BE ON YOU IN SECONDS. AT THAT POINT YOU WILL HEAR THE OFFER TO SIT WITH THEM. Other poster was trying to give you some good advice but guess you don't care about that. If people would stop looking for freebies there would be less people on these forums whining that some mean sales person rip them off!

Phil L.
Apr 20, 2014

Usually when you check in they direct you to a different desk to pick up your "welcome packet" There they tell you about the presentation and the gift. It is different at different resorts. It may also depend if you are a current owner. It also depends on how busy they are. I was a Marriott Ocean Watch and the gift was $150 to be used at the resort/ hotel next door/ spa or a fairly large list of participating restaurants. They also said because they were busy you had to sign up when you checked in. They never called and offered again or up-ed the offer. They also offered Marriott reward points but I don't remember how many.

You aren't going to get $500. It usually is between $100 and $300 and the higher end only when they are very slow.

Tracey S.
Apr 22, 2014

I agree with the other comment. Do Not Buy at these presentations. There are lots of people out there selling their timeshares online and you will get a much better price. We purchased at the Manhattan Club in NYC many years ago and they are way overpriced and I would sell mine for a tenth of what they are now. And the HOA fees will go up and up - guaranteed!!

Judy F.
Apr 22, 2014

judyf162 wrote:
I agree with the other comment. Do Not Buy at these presentations. There are lots of people out there selling their timeshares online and you will get a much better price. We purchased at the Manhattan Club in NYC many years ago and they are way overpriced and I would sell mine for a tenth of what they are now. And the HOA fees will go up and up - guaranteed!!

I believe there's a class action lawsuit by owners against the Manhattan Club .... from a Redweek member discussing such in March 2014:

The 3rd lawsuit (Bisk vs The Manhattan Club Timeshare Association) is in progress as of this moment. All exhibits are publicly available as are the hilarious transcripts of the motion hearings in front of the judge. (Read as the Manhattan Club Timeshare Association attorney tells the judge there is absolutely no problem.) This case is before a New York State Judge. New York Supreme Court CASE# 652662-2013 Here's the link to get to the case file: http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/iscroll/SQLData.jsp?IndexNo=652662-2013 Facts presented include: There are 18,480 flex units sold, 286 units, 52 weeks = 69 units short each week, IF all units available went to owners. - The Manhattan Club Timeshare Association (a NY non-profit) board is controlled by the SPONSOR ( the Eichers) which hires a for profit company URBAN (owned by the Eichers) to run the Manhattan Club and reservation system for a fee of 20% of Owners Maintenance Fees plus general public Rental. See anything wrong here? IMHO - The owners of the real estate and payers of the real estate taxes need the ability to assure operation is in their rather than URBAN (Eichers) fiduciary interest. It is not a stretch to believe that a contract as brutal as a time share contract must have a balancing fairness provision to assure that the buyer can actually be delivered what it is that they

johnd2026 1 month ago Mar 07, 2014

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 22, 2014 10:49 AM

Apr 22, 2014

Thank you so much for the information regarding the lawsuit with The Manhattan Club. Will definitely look into this. Seeing that its a class action suit, surprised I didn't know about it.

Judy F.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.