Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Can you help me pick a timeshare to buy?

Jun 04, 2014

(I posted this in a different sub-forum, but I believe this one is more appropriate) I was researching Disney vacations when I came across DVC. While they look nice, they are pretty pricey and I doubt we want to visit Disney enough to justify the expense. That being said, I really think we may want to purchase a timeshare/club membership of some sort. We probably need a 1 BR that can sleep up to six. It's my wife & I, plus 3 kids, though sometimes it's just the wife & I. From what I've read, a vacation club with a points system (resale) would work better for us as we could use it at different destinations, etc. The beach is our destination of choice, though we also like theme parks, vegas, etc. If we need to pick a "home resort", we would probably want one on the gulf coast. We need something moderately nice at a good/fair price, but definitely doesn't have to be luxurious. We need at least enough points to cover 2 weeks. Based on all of that, can you give your recommendations? Companies, specific resorts, where to purchase? Thank you very much!

Eric W.
Jun 05, 2014

Look into renting one. There are many listings for people who will rent you one for less than they are paying for maintenance fees. Once you purchase one you are stuck with ever increasing maintenance fees and assessments even if you can't use your vacation that year. Read the posts in the forums and you will get an idea of the downside of ownership to give you a view before you sign on the dotted line.

Don P.
Jul 12, 2014

ericw279 wrote:
(I posted this in a different sub-forum, but I believe this one is more appropriate) I was researching Disney vacations when I came across DVC. While they look nice, they are pretty pricey and I doubt we want to visit Disney enough to justify the expense. That being said, I really think we may want to purchase a timeshare/club membership of some sort. We probably need a 1 BR that can sleep up to six. It's my wife & I, plus 3 kids, though sometimes it's just the wife & I. From what I've read, a vacation club with a points system (resale) would work better for us as we could use it at different destinations, etc. The beach is our destination of choice, though we also like theme parks, vegas, etc. If we need to pick a "home resort", we would probably want one on the gulf coast. We need something moderately nice at a good/fair price, but definitely doesn't have to be luxurious. We need at least enough points to cover 2 weeks. Based on all of that, can you give your recommendations? Companies, specific resorts, where to purchase? Thank you very much!

You might consider a 2 bedroom lock-out. This will give you an option of easily sleeping up to six or splitting into a one week one bedroom and a second week studio at the different time for just you and your wife.

Regards, Martin

Martin P.

Last edited by phyl21 on Jul 12, 2014 07:53 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.