Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

First Time Renting Timeshare

Jun 08, 2014

I rented a timeshare with an individual and was furnish confirmation number. I contacted the rental place and able to confirm the entire transaction, I'm also able to confirm the rental is under my name. How long do they have to cancel the rental and leave me with nothing? I really don't think that will happen but really like to know if someone can use a legitimate timeshare they have, rent it out to someone, put their name as a guest and furnish confirmation number, but change their mind at the last minutes and get their points back to reuse.

I hope I'm not being too confusing...

Isabella T.
Jun 09, 2014

I doubt seriously that the above scenario will happen, never heard of it happening especially if you use a legitimate website such as Redweek. I assume a rental contract is in place.

R P.
Jul 01, 2014

Once you are confirmed then there is for the most part no problems. All the renter is doing is adding you as a guest to the reservation or purchasing a guest certificate in your name so you will be able to check in. The renter has the week confirmed sometimes up to 2 years in advance and simply cannot make the week for one reason or another. They need to cover their Maintenance Fees.

Don't worry I have rented two weeks here on Redweek without any problem and also purchased resale.

Daniel O.
Jul 04, 2014

I suggested rental contract but they never do rental contract or escrow because their rent is pretty cheap, which I can confirm the rental price is really reasonable. I just worried about giving someone I don't know all the rent money up front...

Isabella T.
Jul 04, 2014

Use paypal so if there is a problem you can dispute the charge. If they refuse to use paypal that is a big red flag.

Don P.
Jul 14, 2014

What is the cancellation policy on a timeshare rental?

Maddalena P.
Jul 14, 2014

The policy is what the two parties agree to in their contract.

Don P.
Jul 14, 2014

Can you purchase Travel Insurance for Disney Timeshare rental on your own? I'll be traveling in December and want to make sure I will be covered if there's inclement weather.

Maddalena P.
Jul 15, 2014

December is one of the best times to travel to the Disney area. I live about an hour from Disney. You should be able to find travel insurance by googling it but be careful and read all the fine print. Most policies have so many restrictions that they are actually useless.

Don P.
Jul 15, 2014

CSA and vacationguard both offer vacation rental insurance. There may be others. Search vacation rental insurance and just make sure it is a policy for the person getting not offering the rental. Read the restriction and exclusions.

Tracey S.
Jul 18, 2014

I am trying to decide if I should become a member of this site to advertise ($40 cost ) and if it is real I would rent it with them. My week of New Years Eve at Grand Pacific Palisades 2/2 with ocean view. I have to pay maintenance fees, yes going up and can not exchange the week can not go out of town because of finances. My concern is that if I just take partial payment they/renter can back out at the last minute. I can give a certificate from the resort that says I have given the week to my guest. Is that sufficient or does some one have a rental/agreement for the week? I can use?Thank you in advance unicor09@yahoo.com

Andres G.
Jul 19, 2014

R P.
Jul 27, 2014

Hi - I am interested in renting a timeshare through redweek. The seller and I have agreed to the pricing. But the seller wants me to send her a check, and once that's cleared then only she will do the bookings. I am not comfortable with this arrangement, as what if the seller encahes the check and doesn't do the booking? How is this usually handled? Is there anyway where this can be done simultaneously, so that both the seller and I are comfortable with the arrangements? Pls let me know! Thx so much!

Prachi S.
Sep 29, 2014

Hi, I don't have an answer, but have similar problem... Is the person you talking about Linda Moore? Please let me know. Thank you.

Lana I.
Sep 29, 2014

The seller I dealt with only ask for $25 down, and I pay for the remaining balance once I was able to confirm my reservation with the resort. You can ask the seller if she will accept a non-refundable down payment of $25 to $50, and will pay her the remaining amount once you can verify the reservation to your satisfaction. The seller can purchase points protection plan for the reservation, so they can cancel without losing their points if something comes up, it's quite inexpensive, your down payment should cover the insurance, it really is no skin off her nose.

Isabella T.
Sep 30, 2014

There should always be a rental agreement in place stipulating the terms of the rental and signed by both the owner and the renter before any funds change hands .... 'search forums' for sample rental agreements.

R P.
Oct 29, 2018

Where can I find insurance when I rent out my timeshare week to a third party?

David N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.