Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Lack of response very annoying

Jul 08, 2014

Just venting, but why does someone place an ad, and then not respond for nearly a week when you make an offer (for full amount no less). There really should be a rating system for buyers and sellers so we don't all waste time.

David P.
Jul 09, 2014

davidp13 wrote:
Just venting, but why does someone place an ad, and then not respond for nearly a week when you make an offer?

I know this is 2014 where internet access is available almost everywhere but some people might not have 24/7 access or be in a place where 24/7 access is available. Just one possibility.

Lance C.
Jul 22, 2014

I have the opposite issue. I get a message about pricing the mandatory all inclusive fees at my resorts and I usually reply with a question because I cannot give them the resorts all inclusive fees without first knowing when they want to go since the fees change. But 8 out if 10 don't answer. Do why ask me for rates if you are not going to respond to me so I can get those rates

Jenna D.
Jul 22, 2014

I agree with you David. I made an offer a week ago and have heard nothing.

Melanie N.
Jul 23, 2014

My biggest point is this. Why on earth is there not a rating system so that both parties can have greater confidence in their dealings.

I have had good experiences renting, and would gladly give positive feedback so that other potential renters would know. It would help honest renters get more offers, and probably higher offers because some of the risk is removed.

The particular one I complained about posted the ad, never responded to my inquiry which I made the same day (I waited a week before posting here, and to this day there has never been a response), and now that ad is pulled down. I should be able to warn other users, through negative feedback, not to waste their valuable time on someone like this.

David P.
Jul 24, 2014

I agree with you, I sent an email almost 3 weeks ago & no reply from the owner. I thought perhaps she has no computer access but then again, why post an ad for rent? I sent an email earlier to another owner, hopefully she'll get back to me. Also I did not realize you can negotiate on the price posted/asked.

Ninfa M.
Jul 28, 2014

I have posted rentals on here several times in the past few years and never had any postive reponse back. Like you mentioned I've had a few to inquire about the rental, but never got back to me. I rent my unit out below my maintenance fee cost. which is ridiculous and still no renters. My membership is up for renewal for Redweek, but I'm have second thoughts on doing it again. I feel like I'm wasting my money & time. I would like to sell and be done with it. My husband & I are not traveling as much since he retired. We both have serious health conditions, Goodl luck everyone.

ninfam wrote:
I agree with you, I sent an email almost 3 weeks ago & no reply from the owner. I thought perhaps she has no computer access but then again, why post an ad for rent? I sent an email earlier to another owner, hopefully she'll get back to me. Also I did not realize you can negotiate on the price posted/asked.

Barbara M.
Jul 28, 2014

I never discussed prices with replys from my post back to a interested party. When I posted my weeks for rent the price was listed there. Like I mentioned in my previous post I have always ask less then my maintenance fees for the rental.

barbaram11 wrote:
I have posted rentals on here several times in the past few years and never had any postive reponse back. Like you mentioned I've had a few to inquire about the rental, but never got back to me. I rent my unit out below my maintenance fee cost. which is ridiculous and still no renters. My membership is up for renewal for Redweek, but I'm have second thoughts on doing it again. I feel like I'm wasting my money & time. I would like to sell and be done with it. My husband & I are not traveling as much since he retired. We both have serious health conditions, Goodl luck everyone.

ninfam wrote:

Barbara M.
Jul 29, 2014

Still no reply from the owner I emailed almost a month ago, unit is still for rent & date is coming up. My email to another owner 5 days ago still has no reply. At this point I'm giving up ... annoying that I paid for membership just to email them about their rental posting. Have a nice day!

Ninfa M.
Jul 29, 2014

ninfam wrote:
Still no reply from the owner I emailed almost a month ago, unit is still for rent & date is coming up. My email to another owner 5 days ago still has no reply. At this point I'm giving up ... annoying that I paid for membership just to email them about their rental posting. Have a nice day!

You need to 'contact Redweek' below to inform them of the 2 renters above and let them investigate.

R P.
Sep 23, 2014

I have often found that properly priced Redweek rental ads are often answered very quickly in Aruba where we do a lot of our vacationing.

Problem is many owners want to avoid making any payment to Redweek for their rented listing by deliberately not notifying Redweek to remove the listing after they rent it.

Some owners also ignore answering other later inquiring renters, refusing to tell them their unit is already rented.....believing the inquiry is actually coming from Redweek......... checking to see if they rented already. Anything to save a few dollars.......

It is upsetting to find four or five nice listings for the date you want and then get no response because the units you want are already rented out. It sure is a waste of time, but is part of what we all deal with if you want to rent.

Neil M.
Sep 24, 2014

If you don't hear back from an owner within a week, I would then continue my search elsewhere. Also, Redweek has no control if an owner doesn't wish to put the word 'rented' on their ad.

R P.
Sep 30, 2014

I am an owner at Oyster Bay Beach resort in St. Maartens and am currently trying to decide whether or not to use Redweek to list my week to rent out. I'm reading all these forums trying determine if this website really works. I have never rented it out before and own week 52 which I'm told is a very good week. It sounds as though you have rented through using Redweek in the past. Would you recommend it to someone wanting to rent their unit???

Gail H.
Oct 01, 2014

I would recommend listing here, although maybe not exclusively.

The key is communicating quickly and honestly, and I would also recommend using the Escrow service for security. I have rented with, and without escrow, and for the relatively small fee I think it is worth the piece of mind.

Good luck.

gailh218 wrote:
I am an owner at Oyster Bay Beach resort in St. Maartens and am currently trying to decide whether or not to use Redweek to list my week to rent out. I'm reading all these forums trying determine if this website really works. I have never rented it out before and own week 52 which I'm told is a very good week. It sounds as though you have rented through using Redweek in the past. Would you recommend it to someone wanting to rent their unit???

David P.
Oct 01, 2014

gailh218 wrote:

Redweek is the number 1 internet ad site for timeshare sales and rentals, however be aware that just because you own week 52 in St. Maarten that doesn't necessarily mean that you're guaranteed a renter.... it's all about supply and demand of a particular resort and the timeframe owned.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Oct 01, 2014 08:40 AM

Oct 01, 2014

I have often rented from or through Redweek, dealing directly with the actual owners. Sometimes we negotiate a better price and have let Redweek handle the exchange. Other times I have felt comfortable enough with the owner and been able to complete a confirmation with his timeshare customer service dept. to verify his ownership prior to any payment. I then send a small deposit to owner to verify my sincerity to rent. He then places my name as a confirmed guest at the timeshare for the week, which I also verify with a return call to customer service and get a printed email of my reservation. I then send balance of payment to owner. So far, absolutely no problem as the timeshare would notify me for my OK if they are notified by owner the timeshare is going to be sold or if owner tries to to remove my name at a later date. The timeshare conducts their own verification to make sure the owner is who he says he is and the owner gives their customer service dept. my name so I am able to verify ownership and can call back at anytime prior to my rental week.

Another site I have used for renting only (NOT GOOD FOR BUYING OR SELLING a Unit) is http://www.timesharesonly.com/ the site where timeshares for sale and rent are listed.

They are also called Vacations Only for the timeshare rental part of their company. They charge the owner I believe about 24% advertising rental fee. They collect the money from the renter and forward it on to the owner after contracts are signed by both sides. This could be great site to rent from if the owner is charging a low enough price with their fee included, if it is still lower than any other competing listing for the same timeshare date you want to rent. Worth at least checking into due to the large inventory. I found a unit at Divi Phoenix for Week 3 last week that was $500 less than the only other unit available on Redweek.

I don't think I would list my site with timeshares only to rent out, due to their much higher cost and fees to owner, especially if you feel you could trust the renter to pay you directly.

Lots of negatives with timeshares only regarding their sales listings and much higher prices and the listing tactics they use to get people to list their timeshares for sale, requiring they pay a $500 to $600 fee up front just to list. Many are given impression their timeshare week will immediately sell and that they can easily get a very high sale price so they list and according to complaints on many websites I researched, claim they never get a response from a potential buyer, even after dropping the price for years.

All in all, Redweek seems to be the best fit for us. Never a problem, except for those that don't tell Redweek they rented their unit so they can avoid Redweeks low rental fee.

Neil M.

Last edited by neilm66 on Oct 01, 2014 11:22 AM

Oct 06, 2014

Did you ever get a response about your rental? Did you contact Redweek?

Pamela T.
Oct 06, 2014

I have posted units for sell and rent at Redweek, I have never received one inquiry in the past year. Maybe Redweek is not forwarding the emails.? My membership will be up in a few days and I definitely will not renew it. my email is hbdiver@hotmail.com I wonder what if any replies that will bring. I also think half the forum comments are from Redweek staff.

Harold B.

Last edited by haroldb111 on Oct 06, 2014 09:08 AM

Oct 06, 2014

haroldb111 wrote:
I have posted units for sell and rent at Redweek, I have never received one inquiry in the past year. Maybe Redweek is not forwarding the emails.? My membership will be up in a few days and I definitely will not renew it. my email is hbdiver@hotmail.com I wonder what if any replies that will bring. I also think half the forum comments are from Redweek staff.

RedWeek does not forward e-mails. It is merely an advertising site. You pay to advertise, potential buyers or renters look at your ad and then, if they are interested, they contact you. RedWeek does not get involved in the sale or rental process nor does it hustle up buyers. It is merely an advertising site.

Also, please bear in mind the state of the timeshare industry right now. Many units listed for sale cannot even be given away right now. Also, many units listed for rent do not garner any rentals. Are you pricing your unit right?

And BTW, I am not part of the RedWeek staff.

Lance C.

Last edited by lancec13 on Oct 07, 2014 10:51 AM

Oct 07, 2014

I agree they do nothing. Thanks for the response.

Harold B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.