Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

want to buy a Marriott timeshare: advice needed

Jul 29, 2014

We would like to buy a Marriott TS and would like advice on the best way of going about it.

We are a family of 5 (kids age: 14, 11, 6). We live in Quebec, Canada. We want to use the TS to be able to travel to different areas. We enjoy the Caribbean. We would like to start to go to Europe. We like to have the flexibility to see new places. We could go back to the same place once and a while but not always. We are available to travel during Spring break (the first week of August for us) or during the Summer months. Right now we can manage in a 1 bedroom but soon will require a 2 bedroom.

Should I be looking at buying a week resale? I have read but it still isn't that clear on how it works if I want to go to another Marriott Vacation Resort. How do I chose the resort to buy into, how do I know about the point value of a week TS and how do I use this point value (is it within the Marriot vacation club or is it II)?. If I buy resale, I understood that I can not exchange into reward points. What can I do with the week if I own at a certain resort but want to travel elsewhere? Is II the only option?

Should I just buy points then?

What is the most economical way to buy (buying a week and traveling elsewhere, buying points (resale or developper?)

I read that it is a good idea to buy a week or a low amount of points and rent the remainder of what we would need (save on the initial cost along with on maintenance fees). ???

With the way we want to travel, is buying resale a good idea?

Kim S.
Jul 30, 2014

kims345 We would like to buy a Marriott TS and would like advice on the best way of going about it.

Quote:
We are a family of 5 (kids age: 14, 11, 6). We live in Quebec, Canada. We want to use the TS to be able to travel to different areas. We enjoy the Caribbean. We would like to start to go to Europe. We like to have the flexibility to see new places. We could go back to the same place once and a while but not always. We are available to travel during Spring break (the first week of August for us) or during the Summer months. Right now we can manage in a 1 bedroom but soon will require a 2 bedroom.

I would buy Marriott points (resale) since points are more flexible.

Quote:
Should I be looking at buying a week resale? I have read but it still isn't that clear on how it works if I want to go to another Marriott Vacation Resort. How do I chose the resort to buy into, how do I know about the point value of a week TS and how do I use this point value (is it within the Marriot vacation club or is it II)?. If I buy resale, I understood that I can not exchange into reward points. What can I do with the week if I own at a certain resort but want to travel elsewhere? Is II the only option?

I'm not sure which exchange company (II or RCI) that Marriott is affiliated with, but you can deposit your points and exchange them for other locations if you join the affiliated exchange company.

Quote:

That would be my recommendation.

http://www.redweek.com/timeshare-points/

Quote:
What is the most economical way to buy (buying a week and traveling elsewhere, buying points (resale or developer?)

Definitely resale.

Quote:
I read that it is a good idea to buy a week or a low amount of points and rent the remainder of what we would need (save on the initial cost along with on maintenance fees). ???

That would be entirely up to you.

Quote:
Right now we can manage in a 1 bedroom but soon will require a 2 bedroom.

With three children I would definitely buy a 2 bedroom or points affiliated with a 2 bedroom to begin with. Also, I would search all the timeshare resale sites in order to compare prices.

Hopefully Marriott owners will chime in to give you more advice concerning the Marriott system.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jul 30, 2014 10:07 AM

Aug 26, 2014

Marriott deals with II for exchanges, and there are fees involved for being a member of II as well as making an exchange, changing the date, changing a reservation to add a guest...you name it and they have a fee for it. That is why so many Marriott owners hate II. This is why Marriott introduced the Destination Program, which has mixed reviews (you have to buy points as well as buy into the program, which is very costly).

I would recommend to the OP that the best way to go is to buy a resale from someone wanting to sell their Marriott at a prime (highly requested, time of year), location, and view. Some places, this can be all year long (example Hawaii). In the Carribbean, it would be in the winter months for you. However there are certain weeks that are more prime in winter, for example President's Week, holiday weeks, Easter, Spring Vacation (this varies) etc. The view makes a difference as well; a view of the ocean or over looking the ocean is better than one that looks at a parking lot or the mountains -- think about resale yourself or renting it down the road or trading it. When you trade, you get what you have or less, unless you are lucky and go the II web site and happen to catch something by chance to exchange it with that is better....but this is very rare. II charges you if you talk to someone in person.

People who buy for resale are not entitled to points from Marriott. However you can get points other ways. For example you can get a Marriott Visa credit card and if you use it exclusively you can get a LOT of points this way. If you pay with this card while doing anything with Marriott, you get triple points...so it adds up. If this has changed, since there has been a lot of changes with Marriott recently, you may want to verify with corporate Marriott Owner Services 01-1-800-845-4226.

Other high demand things to look for: Weeks: floating weeks, annual weeks (you can also get every other week); View: Ocean view/Ocean front; Floor: high floor; Location: a high demand year-long location (Hawaii would give you the best trading option in a 2-BR villa).

Verify from Marriott that they (the sellers) are indeed the owners and are in good standing (owe no money to Marriott). Marriott has a Sales Dept. that you can speak to; usually it is the owner's responsibility to get the paperwork in order and between Marriott and the owner, then include the buyer; all the paperwork is done electronically - very easy to do.

Talk to the owners several times on the phone to get a "feel" for them prior to making any kind of offer. Use an escrow service if you feel more comfortable and insist on a Sales Contract (I believe Marriott needs to see a copy of one anyway). I had one drawn up by an attorney when I sold one of my Marriott TS's and it went very smoothly; Marriott also insists that certain things be in your Contract. Keep in constant contact with the owners; these days with electronic devices you don't need the cost of telephone calls.

But don't get your hopes up on trading to travel elsewhere with II unless you buy Marriott in NYC (Category 9 - the highest). They may put you an a less desirable location or at the last few weeks before departure say they can't put you where you thought you were going to be and your vacation travels and airfare are ruined. So consider your home TS as a place to go, and make it a prime place, time of year, view, etc.

Also some of the Marriotts (example Ko Olina in Oahu) have a feature called a "lock-off" where you can close off the Master suite and leave a Deluxe Guest BR with a kitchenette and bathroom (sleeps 4). The Master Villa alone also sleeps 4, but you can get a cot as well. You could get 2 weeks out of this type of feature, however unless you can get over travel fatigue quickly to stay in HI one week, I don't suggest it; you really need 2 weeks to enjoy yourself.

Karen D.
Aug 29, 2014

You're always going to end up paying a premium buying directly from the developer. I recommend buying a week on the resale market (you'll save hundreds, if not thousands) and then renting it out when you don't plan to use it. That should cover the maintenance fees and secure the best value for your money.

I used Fidelity Resales and they walked me through the process to get me a better deal than buying from Marriott. Yes, you lose out on some of the extra benefits of purchasing from a developer, but its definitely worth it in savings.

Paul R.
Aug 30, 2014

As the OP pointed out in her first post, "We want to use the TS to be able to travel to different areas. We enjoy the Caribbean. We would like to start to go to Europe." If you want a prime Marriott location and like the Caribbean, then I would suggest the Marriott Surf Club in Aruba (resale), which is a beautiful and friendly island and not very expensive with great food. The Caribbean has 3 times of year with the winter months being prime. I would suggest buying for the best you can get (winter) and ocean view or front, high floor, building close to the ocean (Lighthouse if possible). This is a very congested and prime area, but easy to trade to another area because they are always sold out; I used to own at this TS. Remember, the better you own, the easier it is to trade or rent.

In the Caribbean, during late Sept./early October, everything shuts down (or partially open) for maintenance, so keep that in mind. Holidays are considered prime. Summer months are off-peak because the tropical breeze tends to die off and it is more humid.

When you trade with II, you aren't going to necessarily going to get a Marriott, esp. in Europe. It most likely will be a different hotel of the same category and it is supposed to be the same view and number of bedrooms/bathrooms that you own, but you don't always get what you ask for. Often you are better off searching on their web site for something that someone just "banked" (gave up) and snatching it. Of course in a place that is not as popular, you may not have this problem.

Karen D.
Aug 31, 2014

My advice: Buy a resale either at the Marriott Surf Club or the Marriott Ocean Club. This is absolutely your best bang for your buck. There are better buys at the Surf Club, 2-BR's starting at $4,900.00 US. You will get your money's worth in just a few trips. The Ocean Club is quieter, but starting prices are higher as there are much less units at this location. The Surf Club is better for families with children to teenagers (love the lazy river). We have been travelling to both for years and love them both. Don't be afraid to make offers! Everything is negotiable.

You can always rent your unit right here on RedWeek if you don't use it. Look at the rental prices on this site. You can easily see that you will at the least make your maintenance fees back and usually a profit. Interval International is the other option if you are looking to trade and go somewhere else. We have been using II for 14 years and you just have to know how to work it. It always helps if you are flexible on your dates and have back-up locations.

Here are several timeshare websites that have dozens upon dozens of resales for both of these locations: RedWeek obviously. MyResortNetwork.com. The Timeshare User Group (tug). Always do your research on who the seller is. Most are licensed realtors and you can check them out easily on the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

Good Luck...

Kevin L.
Aug 31, 2014

kevinl220 wrote:
Here are several timeshare websites that have dozens upon dozens of resales for both of these locations: RedWeek obviously. MyResortNetwork.com. The Timeshare User Group (tug). Always do your research on who the seller is. Most are licensed realtors and you can check them out easily on the Better Business Bureau (BBB)..

I agree with everything above except checking with the BBB, which works only if you [the company] pay them to be rated unless there has been a complaint against them. RedWeek and tug are your best bet and very reputable. There are also scammers here; I was contacted by one here on RedWeek last week and reported them; so I would suggest NOT to use a Realtor (esp. if they are from Florida).

I would suggest that you ask the seller to send you a copy of their Deed/Right to Own proving that they own the TS and verify it with the TS company and are in good standing (don't owe any fees).

The Owner still needs to contact Corporate Marriott Sales Office and Owner Services to get the necessary paperwork and ask Marriott for a ROFR (Right of First Refusal - Marriott has the Right to Refuse to sell the TS before any transaction can be made - this is usually based on the price the TS is being sold for and/or if they still have inventory to sell through the developer); and there needs to be a TS Sales Contract with specific information that Marriott requires (the info. is sent to the Owner, who in turn will either put together a Contract or if they are lazy hire someone to do it). Since Marriott does all the paperwork, transfers names, etc. for less than $300 (if international - includes Caribbean), there is no need for a Realtor to save money. They keep you informed and everything is done electronically. As long as all the paperwork is in order that they require and sent in AT THE SAME TIME, things go smoothly. My sale of my TS at the Surf only took 3 weeks through Marriott and I sold here on RedWeek. Everyone was happy throughout the process and in the end.

Karen D.
Sep 01, 2014

We have owned with Marriott in Aruba (highly desirable) for many years....NO problems trading for anywhere we have wanted to go. Also easy to deposit for points and then use for flight/resort packages in Europe. We love the Marriott system.

Patricia M.
Sep 01, 2014

Also if you purchase a resale through the Marriott authorized realtor you can still deposit week for points.

Patricia M.
Sep 06, 2014

Hi, you mentioned that if one was interested in buying a Marriott TS you can also purchase a resale through the Marriott authorized realtor. How do I find these type of authorized realtors. Thanks.

Marcial C.
Sep 07, 2014

The only authorized realtor is Marriott themselves. They will broker owner resales. You can find them at marriottvacationclub.com/resales They generally have more weeks than they list online so you can call if you don't see what you are looking for. They don't negotiate on price, they are what they are. The weeks are eligible for reward point conversions but I believe the posters incorrect about the ability to enroll in the dc with an additional purchase of retail trust points.

Tracey S.
Nov 08, 2014

Looking for updated info regarding buying a Marriott TS directly from Marriott or from a private party?

kims345 wrote:
We would like to buy a Marriott TS and would like advice on the best way of going about it.

What is the most economical way to buy (buying a week and traveling elsewhere, buying points (resale or developper?)

With the way we want to travel, is buying resale a good idea?

L F.
Nov 08, 2014

As I stated back at the end of August, I would recommend buying a timeshare on the resale market, at the Marriott Surf Club, Palm Beach, Aruba. There are over a hundred for sale on RedWeek right now at this location, 2-Bedrooms, starting at $5,300 US all the way to $90,000 US, depending on the week, view, Gold season, Platinum season & Platinum Plus, etc.

There are (16) with prices under $7,000 right now. There are (2) starting at $5,300 with Garden view. There is one for $5,400 with Ocean view, another for $5,500. These are Gold season, weeks 18 to 50. These are excellent prices. And don't forget, these prices are negotiable, don't be afraid to make offers. Marriott will sell you the same 2-BR via destination points, but wants $25,000 to $30,000! This is 5 to 6 times the cost on the open market and the only difference is, when you by from Marriott, you get the destination points. When you buy via the resale market, you will not be eligible for destination points. The destination points allow you to trade into any Marriott in the world, but there is still no guarantee that you will get the location and date you want. We go to Aruba 2 to 3 times a year and we talk to many, many owners. We hear many stories from these owners about not being able to travel on points where and when they want to. Some do like the points system, but you are paying a premium for this.

By buying resale at a specific property like the Marriott Surf Club, you will have a deed and can book there during that season every year. It is suggested you book a year in advance. If you want to go somewhere else, you either have to use Interval International to trade, and there are nominal fees for this, or just book a week at the resort for a popular week and then rent it on RedWeek. Then use that money to rent where you want to go, also on RedWeek if you like. The Marriott Surf Club has excellent value and therefore I would not suggest trading it to Interval, you can get more for it by renting. We own several other timeshares that we paid anywhere from $5.00 to $450.00 for (found on RedWeek at very exclusive locations in Orlando FL), deeded, that we own in perpetuity (for ever). The maintenance fees range $500 per year to $850. We use these to trade with Interval and always get a week somewhere. Many times we have traded into the Surf Club with these.

We just purchased a 2-BR resale at the Marriott Surf Club back in August 2014 and paid a total of $5,200 ($4,750 for the week, deeded until 2061, $450 for closing costs). I used Concierge Realty located in Orlando FL. They are very reputable, professional and you will see them all over RedWeek. They were very helpful and the process took less than two months. During the process we asked them to ask the owner we were buying from to book the vacation weeks we were looking for next July/August 2015 since we didn't want to wait until the process was over as we were told to book early. They booked the exact dates we wanted, including splitting the 2-BR into two back-to-back weeks, Jul 30th to Aug 13 (lock off the first week, 1-BR the 2nd week). It will be just my wife and I, so we will get two weeks in Aruba next summer.

I am now in the process of negotiating another 2-BR week at the Surf Club. If we don't use it, we will rent it on RedWeek. Depending on the time of year, they rent for between $2,000 and $3,000 for a 2-BR for the week. The maintenance fees are approximately $1,600. Do the math. The pay-back is about 5 to 7 years if all I do is rent it every year.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck...

Kevin

Kevin L.
Feb 19, 2015

We have had our Marriott Barony Beach oceanfront ( Hilton head sc) floating weeks April,May,September, October listed with Marriott for resale. Having said that, we have used points to stay in London, Paris, Costa Rica, Arizona and also have easily traded for 2 Bedroom Villas in St Kitts 4 times. If you choose Marriott you will be happy. I have no info on companies other than Marriott with regard to resales. We have also had a different fractional ownership timeshare on the market with a local realtor but will most likely post that one on Redweek- this is an excellent website and very glad we found it.

Leslie B.
May 10, 2015

For credibility, I own dozens of timeshares, mostly Marriotts. The first two were bought front Marriott (big mistake). We then bought dozens of weeks during the depth of the recession at fire sale prices. All my weeks are in Maui or ski resorts.

Don't buy anything. Rent weeks on redweek.com or other similar sites when you what to vacation. You'll save money and time.

Figure the cost of purchasing and the yearly maintenance fee. Then look at the cost of renting. You will see that most often you can rent for not much more than the maintenance fees. So why own?

If you are looking a premium resorts the spread between the maintenance fee and the rental can be substantial. However, in these resorts you will find that the cost of purchase is high. How many years will it take for you to save enough for a purchase to make sense.

Here is the math. What is the difference between the yearly maintenance fee and the rental cost? Let's call this difference the "Owning Advantage". If the maintenance fee is $1500 and renting costs $2,000, the "Owning Advantage" is $500 a year.

How much does it cost to purchase the week? Let's say it costs $15,000. With these numbers it will take 30 years of using the timeshare for you to BREAK EVEN.

Take into consideration that most people never figure out all the ins and outs of trading their week for the week they want someplace else. If you are willing to trade down (getting something less desirable than what you are giving up), it isn't to difficult. If you are trying to get a fair trade, that is a real challenge and you'll have to pay a bunch of fees. If you think you are going to trade up...use your luck winning the lottery.

John B.
May 27, 2015

John, you are right on the mark. I too am a Marriott owner (2 weeks bought through Marriott) and all I can say is I wish I had done more research. I'm finding that this whole points system may have some benefits but it seems to me that it's also splitting the available inventory between the points people and the II people with the result being the average person now has less chance to trade into a good property because all your "eggs" are usually in one basket. Add in the fact that the number of Redweek rentals seems to be going up makes trying to trade even more problematic. It sure looks to me that renting is the way to go.

Greg T.
Sep 09, 2015

I agree!!!!

Sandra H.
Sep 09, 2015

For what you want to accomplish "rent, don't buy".

Owning, using, trading and renting a timeshare unit isn't easy and can be very time consuming. Do yourself a favor, rent timeshare weeks directly from reliably, responsible owners. Don't bother owning.

What you can save buying a timeshare vs. owning is going to be chewed up in the learning curve of figuring out how to buy, schedule, use, trade and rent your timeshare unit and the putting what you learned to work. For what?

If you pencil out the savings from owning vs. renting, for your situation there isn't much benefit to owning.

I own dozens of timeshares and cover my maintenance fees for our usage by renting out 60% of my units. It's work. I am retired and have the time.

John B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.