Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Harbourside Atlantis Resale - value and need closing company

Sep 08, 2014

Two part post. First I find it very confusing to value our unit ( 1 Bedroom Premium, Floating) due to the range of values posted on several resale sites ie The Timeshare King, Sell My Timeshare now, etc. Feel like we were scammed from the beginning paying such a high price and now some are selling as low as $300.00.

Second and more important to me - my understanding is I can post on Redweek to sell but then I need a company to do the final closing and transfer. Again very confusing as to what company to use that is legit. I would like to see some recommendations on companies servicing the Bahamas.

I have been contacted by Ken Brodersen, Timeshare Broker Sales. Has anyone heard of Him / or Timeshare Broker Sales. I have seen some negative postings re Timeshare Broker Services?

Appreciate your input.

Susanne C.
Sep 08, 2014

susannel15 wrote:
Feel like we were scammed from the beginning paying such a high price and now some are selling as low as $300.00.

Second and more important to me - my understanding is I can post on Redweek to sell but then I need a company to do the final closing and transfer. Again very confusing as to what company to use that is legit. I have been contacted by Ken Brodersen, Timeshare Broker Sales. Has anyone heard of Him / or Timeshare Broker Sales. I have seen some negative postings re Timeshare Broker Services?

First of all, it is very common for a resale to be valued at far below what the original owner paid for the unit.

Secondly, I'm not too sure of what closing companies do closings in the Bahamas. Maybe contact the resort and ask for a reputable closing company. One closing company that comes recommended by many veteran timeshare users is Legal Timeshare Transfers. I would contact and ask if they do closings for units in the Bahamas.

As for this person who contacted you, make sure he does not ask for an upfront fee. Remember, any services for the sale of a timeshare would be paid for out of the proceeds of the sale. Also, if you do find a buyer, make sure you agree upon who pays for the closing costs and transfer fees (if the resort charges transfer fees).

Lance C.
Sep 08, 2014

NEVER pay anyone money upfront to sell you timeshare. Like Lance stated a reputable company will take their commission out of the proceeds. Don't expect to have any proceeds because most timeshares have little or no value on the resale market. Good luck and avoid the scammers promising a big price for your timeshare for a large " upfront fee ". All they want is your fee and then all you get is excuses.

Don P.
Sep 08, 2014

The range is also dependent on the float season you own. It's confusing because they use to call the weeks platinum (winter 1-17 and 50-52), gold (summer 18-34 and 47-49), and silver ( fall 35-46). They upgraded the names to platinum plus, platinum, and gold but kept all the same point values. Traditionally platinum would be the most valuable time period but because of the weather and kid friendly nature of the resort- summer resales and reservations are the hardest to get and the most valuable other than week 51 and 52. Summer weeks have some value but the transfer cost is around $2000 so even summer 1 br units don't have a lot of resale value. Winter float would be slightly worse. Unfortunately the fall weeks have $0 resale value and you may even have to pay all or part of the transfer cost plus in some cases all or part of the following year mf to find someone to take the week. Rentals during this period often go for less than the cost of mf. To give yourself the best shot you will want to reserve the best possible week in your float season. No one wants to have to pay $1600 for the following year mf and not even get a good week because they are all taken. Harborside is not an effective trader in the SVN network because of the low star options given compared to mf.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.