Nov 19, 2014

Timeshares advertised for a $1. Are they real? Who pays closing costs?

Julie S.
Nov 20, 2014

Yes they are real. Peoples lives change and they want to get rid of their timeshares and stop paying maintenance fees. The resale market is dead right now and a lot of people are willing to give them away to get out of their annual fees. Before you buy a timeshare do your homework. You are entering into a contract for life unless you can find someone else to buy it from you. You will also find out that if you decide to use your timeshare to trade for other locations your choices are limited and expensive. There are numerous fees attached to the trade.

If you look around you can find rentals for sometimes less than the annual maintenance fees without the lifetime obligation to pay them. Browse through the forum and read the stories others have posted before you take the leap.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Nov 20, 2014 07:57 AM

Nov 20, 2014

It all depends on what the ad says and/or what you negotiate with the seller. Be careful sometimes $1 timeshares aren't worth a $1 and if you "buy" and figure it out too late you may be paying all closing costs and 1-2 years of MF's and/or including banked weeks in order to get someone to take it off your hands.

On the other hand a $1 timeshare might be one that didn't work for the previous owner but might be just what you are looking for. Just make sure you know what you are getting.

Tracey S.
Dec 08, 2014

I'm trying to pay maintenance fees this year but it will be the last. I'm close to retirement and they do not fit with my budget.

Be very careful purchasing timeshares. I know a lot of people who enjoy them and use them as my husband did, but it can be a trap and financial burden if you don't have funds to pay maintenance fees. My annual fees are $880.00 on basically 1 week vacation. This is not worth it for me, but for a family, these fees are cheaper than paying for the complete week.

Rose K.

Last edited by phyl21 on Dec 08, 2014 08:04 PM

Dec 30, 2014

If you haven't taken a look before, you can find the whole list here. You have the option of sorting by location as well.

http://www.redweek.com/featured/bargain-timeshare-resales

James L.

Last edited by jamesl762 on Dec 30, 2014 12:09 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.