Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

How do I post an ad for a week without a fixed location (but not points)

Dec 01, 2014

My RCI membership came with three week stays to any H10 resort. This isn't a point system, but it's also not tied to any specific timeshare or resort; the buyer could, for example, use one week at a Cancun resort, another in the Dominican Republic, another in Spain. I'm not sure how to post these for sale within the points/timeshare options on this site.

Jonathan S.
Dec 01, 2014

Jonathan -

I saw you also sent your question to Customer Service, so hopefully you received our response. RCI does not allow members to rent out weeks obtained through their system, other than your home resort week. You may be able to gift these weeks to a friend or family member, but RCI does not allow you to sell them.

If you have further questions, please Contact Us

Thanks, Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Dec 01, 2014

My guess is that you said the weeks came with your RCI membership, you mean that along with an RCI membership, you received bonus weeks from your resort. If they truly are RCI bonus weeks that you book through RCI and receive an RCI confirmation when booked then no, they can't be rented out. There are a lot of people who have owned timeshares for years and still think they bought a timeshare from RCI, so it is easy for a newbie not to know if a bonus week is an RCI bonus week or a bonus week directly booked through the resort.

If they are bonus weeks from your resort system, then your choices would be to reserve a specific high demand week at a high demand resort and then advertise that week or pick the most popular resort and do an ad indicating a floating week but that other resorts in the system would be available. In general the problem with the first method is you have something booked and depending on the cancellation policy, you may be out completely if you don't rent it. The problem with the second method is renters are usually much later in making plans and deciding when and where to go and by the time they do all of the prime weeks and locations will be gone.

The final problem you will have is your resort is an AI, I believe. AI resorts are often hard to rent because if the AI fee isn't significantly less than what it could be rented for else where, it won't rent. It is also difficult because this is a site for timeshare rentals and the majority of people who come here want timeshares because they don't want a hotel or a hotel AI experience. Most people who are looking for AI type resorts are looking to book directly with the resort or on travel discount sites like expedia or orbitz, etc.

When you bought the salesperson might have made it seem like it would be easy to rent to recover some of your costs but that often isn't the case.

The info that I gave was assuming you wanted to rent out the bonus weeks. If you are trying to sell your whole ownership/membership that would probably be an even more difficult task. Most of the time any bonus weeks that you received as a person who bought directly from the resort would not transfer to a new owner. The new owner would only have the original week/weeks/or points. Resale AI weeks really almost always have $0 resale value unless it specifically states in your original contract that the resale owner would be entitled to the same perks as the original owner. I don't know of any that do but if they do expect resale value to be 10% of what you paid minus any transfer fees that the resort charges.

Tracey S.

Last edited by tracey75 on Dec 01, 2014 04:08 PM

Dec 08, 2014

Thanks, Tracey and Phyllis. That's very helpful!

Jonathan S.
Dec 08, 2014

I have the same question. We have a Mayan Palace resort I will sell or rent, but its location varies. We have three weeks we can use at any Mayan Palace resort. Thanks!

Darcy P.
Dec 08, 2014

Hi Tracey. I'd like to give your second option (the floating week) a try. How do I post an ad like that? The Red Week site seems to want to search for the resorts, but the resorts I would be renting (the H10 company--http://www.h10premium.com/hotels-around-the-world.php) aren't coming up. And I can't find a way to manually enter the resort information. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Jonathan S.
Dec 09, 2014

http://www.redweek.com/contact_us

Contact Redweek and ask them to add the timeshare to their directory. Until they do that, I'm not sure there is anything you can do.

Tracey S.
Dec 09, 2014

You can reserve a week at a "high demand" resort and advertise that in your posting. Then you could list the other resorts that are a possible alternative but state that you would have to check availability at the other resort before a reservation could be made.

Contact Us

Susan S
RedWeek.com

Last edited by susans2013 on Dec 09, 2014 07:57 PM

Dec 11, 2014

Thank you!

Jonathan S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.