Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

owners with agents renting timeshares

Jan 15, 2015

Is it common for owners to use agents to rent their timeshares? I have been talking with Peter Chorchorlak that is representing on owner fo his timeshare rental. He is reequesting payment through Pay Pal. Any insight on this?

Teena L.
Jan 15, 2015

Some owners do use agents but remember, agents charge a commission of about 15%. Now that you know about RedWeek, a better suggestion would be to advertise here and try to rent it out yourself. There is a $15 annual membership fee plus about $40 to advertise.

And always remember never pay anyone an upfront fee to rent out, sell, market, or "cancel" your timeshare. Any legitimate broker will take his commission out of the proceeds of the sale or rental.

Lance C.
Jan 16, 2015

In order to broker rental deals, a person has to be a licensed real estate agent registered to do business at the location of the TS. Anyone can rent out what they personally own but not anyone can broker either sales or rentals of others' properties. Some potential renters are more comfortable dealing with brokers who do rentals full time rather than a potentially clueless owner who doesn't know what they are doing. Sometimes brokers can get better prices. If you advertise at a price point and can deal with the terms that the broker is offering it really shouldn't matter to you that they are turning around and making more off your unit. On the other hand if the broker is not a licensed then I would tread very carefully.

Tracey S.
Mar 27, 2015

There are several who do this but very few who specialize in amount msnagement, which handles everything for you. No more trying to get reservations or benefits or questionable pay. I think it's a smarter way personally as they are experts in these complex systems.

Angela R.
Mar 27, 2015

This is so true. How many times I have companies calling wanting to sell my timeshare. One time I advised the person if he can sell my timeshare for what he said, then he could take his commission from the sale; that fact, I would give him more than the commission - guess what - I still have my timeshare.

Lorraine H.

Last edited by phyl21 on Mar 27, 2015 04:58 PM

Mar 29, 2015

Tracy , That is not a true statement about rentals. As a Travel Consultant we pickup units all the time and book our clients in them after verifying that the unit is up to date on fees and put in our guests name and I am not a Real Estate Dealer.

tracey75 wrote:
In order to broker rental deals, a person has to be a licensed real estate agent registered to do business at the location of the TS. Anyone can rent out what they personally own but not anyone can broker either sales or rentals of others' properties. Some potential renters are more comfortable dealing with brokers who do rentals full time rather than a potentially clueless owner who doesn't know what they are doing. Sometimes brokers can get better prices. If you advertise at a price point and can deal with the terms that the broker is offering it really shouldn't matter to you that they are turning around and making more off your unit. On the other hand if the broker is not a licensed then I would tread very carefully.

Deborah S.
Mar 29, 2015

Only a handful of states require a timeshare license when selling timeshares? Let alone renting them. I only know of 3 that require such a license and it's not a real estate license either. This is something people day to make you think that to justify why you need their services, as we all know timeshares have very little value. Fairly common misconception, I've handled thousands of contacts when working for various developers and not once had to have such lancing. So if I can help a client with their paperwork free of charge I'm not sure why they would want to pay a real estate agent, which more than likely isn't as knowledgeable.

And depends on service. Advertising Vacations and account management are 2 completely different services.

Angela R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.