Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort

Apr 04, 2015

Hello,

We will be staying at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas and I'm sure we will be asked to attend a timeshare presentation. So my questions:

1. Has anyone attended the presentation and are there any incentives that can be negotiated? Such as discounts to attractions, lua, etc?

2. It's our first time staying there and from the reviews and pictures, we love it already. If we do decide to purchase a timeshare, any advice? We're looking for a 1 bedroom and have seen in the resale market the lowest price is at $5900 at $1000 maintenance fee biennial. Thoughts? Do I lose out on any benefits between buying from the developer vs the resale market?

Thanks.

Conrad C.
Apr 04, 2015

conradc7 wrote:
If we do decide to purchase a timeshare, any advice? We're looking for a 1 bedroom and have seen in the resale market the lowest price is at $5900 at $1000 maintenance fee biennial. Thoughts? Do I lose out on any benefits between buying from the developer vs the resale market?

My advice would be to not buy from the developer. You can save thousands of dollars buying resale. Whatever perks the developer may offer will never compensate for the extra thousands of dollars you would pay.

Secondly, can you clarify the maintenance fee of $1000 biennial? Do you mean that every year you pay $1000 for use of a biennial unit (thus making it $2000 to use for one week) or that the $1000 is spread out over two years ($500 annually)?

Other things to contemplate: Do you figure you will use this unit enough to justify the buy-in costs and maintenance fees? Do you anticipate the maintenance fees increasing relentlessly each year?

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.