Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

RedWeek Owner Selling Their II Exchange

Apr 16, 2015

Hello, I've found what seems to be a reputable listing on RW. They sent me their confirmation and it is from II. I called Marriott Owner's Club and they said they do own the week at the resort in question, but they exchanged their week into II.

Based on advice here and elsewhere, it sounds like I shouldn't move forward with this transaction. Is there anyway for the owner to put it back into Marriott and out of II?

Joe B.
Apr 16, 2015

If the party you are in touch with doesn't own the unit at Marriott they can't rent it to you. Exchanges are for personal use only not to be rented. Call II and verify that information before you send anyone money.

Don P.
Apr 16, 2015

You can contact Redweek directly and let them know.

Tracey S.
Apr 16, 2015

This aspect of Interval exchanges is unduly restrictive. I talked to Interval some time back about this and it was confirmed that I could not rent out a week received thru an Interval exchange.

I do not see any good reason for this and this causes me to be more careful about depositing weeks with Interval. Interval does call frequently to get deposits of prime weeks, I just decline and rent out the weeks for cash when I am concerned by this restriction.

I can only speculate about the reason for this but It may be that Interval has agreed to this to lessen competition for weeks rented out by the resorts.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Apr 16, 2015 09:16 PM

Apr 17, 2015

I know I also wouldn't want someone or many someones targeting all the high value weeks to pull them out of the exchange pool or even the getaway pool to rent them for a profit.

I don't see the harm of renting a week out that you can't use for your costs but as soon as you allow that you open the way for those who would use it as a business.

Tracey S.
Apr 18, 2015

Like Tracey said people like " scalpers " would get all the good weeks and locations and sell them for profit and that would deny owners of decent exchanges.

Don P.
Apr 18, 2015

Good points. However, If a scalper (probably, an owner) did this, I suspect he would have deposited an equivalent week - which doesn't sound so bad. Also, I think developers are able to exchange for weeks to meet their needs from deposited inventory - this may also deplete good inventory.

We have a family reunion at Newport Coast every other year and need 4 units. I tried depositing with Interval in the off year, expecting to get the week I needed the next year. I can tell you, this doesn't work :) . This is why I now rent weeks out, save the cash, and rent the next year. I guess we all learn what works best for us.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Apr 18, 2015 09:22 AM

Apr 21, 2015

YOU ARE VERY WRONG ANYONE CAN RENT THEIR TIME SHARE WEEK AFTER THEY EXCHANGE THOUGH INTERVAL EXCHANGE. THEIR IS A FEE $59 TO PUT THE GUESTS NAME ON ANY EXCHANGE WEEK CONFIRMATION. WE DO IT FROM ORLANDO TO ARUBA. HAVE RENTED OUR VILLAS TO MANY HAPPY TRAVELERS.

Dan C.
Apr 21, 2015

No Dana, you are wrong. You can put a reservation in the name of a guest for a $59 fee or free if you are a platinum member of II but you can't rent it out.

This is from the Disclosure Guide when you click on the legal information when logged onto II: "The Member is responsible for the acts and omissions of the individuals occupying the Host Accommodations, including any loss or damage to the Host Resort or the Host Accommodations. ...

Members are expressly prohibited from selling or exchanging a Guest Certificate for cash, barter, or other consideration. In the event that any of the above terms are breached, II reserves the right to revoke the Guest Certificate and cancel the underlying Confirmation."

Interval can and will cancel an exchange without refund, and can suspend your account if they suspect you are renting an exchange. They do check listings on places like Redweek to see if exchanges are being advertised.

If you have done it in the past successfully count yourself lucky. If you can't use an exchange you can gift it to a family or friend. If they compensate you in some way, II will likely never know but if you advertise exchanges on public forums, or Redweek or craigslist to a stranger, you are risking your account and the exchange so that both you and your renter can end up out of luck without compensation of any kind.

II could be reading this right now and could look into your account and either suspend it completely or stop allowing you to purchase guest certificates based on your posts.

Tracey S.

Last edited by tracey75 on Apr 21, 2015 01:21 PM

Apr 22, 2015

Tracey is absolutely correct with her information. I didn't know of the restriction and tried to rent out an exchange week from Interval a few years ago because our plans had to change. Someone from Interval called, advised me of the restriction and even helped me with an acceptable alternative.

Reference - The prohibition against rental is detailed in the Interval Terms and Conditions section of their annual World Traveler Collection publication. It can be found near the back of the publication on page 333, item 12 under GENERAL EXCHANGE PROCEDURES AND PRIORITIES as follows: "Club Program Members and Individual Members are expressly prohibited from exchanging or renting the Host Accommodations, including, but not limited to, offering the Host Accommodations for sale or rent to third parties through the use of a Guest Certificate or otherwise."

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Apr 23, 2015 09:31 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.