Jun 01, 2015

Is this company a rip-off? They contacted me a few weeks ago and told me they could rent my unused weeks (4) for $1100 per week. Like a dummy, I paid the $989 advertising fee over the phone. Today I have had some free time at work and have been reading all the negatives about this company. Basically, it seems to be a total scam. I feel SO stupid for letting them charge my credit card before I did any research. Please help. Thanks

Lisa M.
Jun 01, 2015

Sorry to tell you but your money is gone. Unfortunately they stated that they only advertise your property so you probably won't be able to dispute the charge because they will claim they lived up to their agreement. Write it off as experience.

Don P.
Jun 02, 2015

You can try reporting this to the attorney-general of the state where this scam artist is located. Complaints can be easily filed online.

I hate to break bad news to you but you are now on a "sucker list" and will continue to get such calls. Remember, anyone who asks you for a large, upfront fee to sell or rent out your property is a scam artist. And watch out for the other scam of people calling claiming they can recover the money you lost - if you pay them an upfront fee.

Lance C.
Jun 02, 2015

I am happy to say that after multiple phone calls today to Summit, they refunded my $989. Of course, they tried and tried to tell me that they are a legitimate company that has been in business since 2007, and that they would in fact rent my "bonus weeks", but my gut tells me I did the right thing by requesting a refund. I find it hard to believe that I am alone in being scammed by this so-called company. Shame on me for not doing my research before I paid for this!! Just hope other people don't make the same mistake.

Lisa M.
Jun 02, 2015

"Just hope other people don't make the same mistake."

Unfortunately countless others have made this same mistake. There are many companies like Summit Marketing out there feasting on unsuspecting timeshare owners. I've read some online articles where these upfront fee scam companies have fleeced millions of dollars from timeshare owners. And they all have the same M.O.: they call owners claiming they can find (or have already found) a buyer who will pay dollars galore but the owner just has to pony up a "few" dollars to facilitate the transaction.

And remember, it does not matter what the company's name is. many of these companies have multiple names but call the same victim under different names claiming they are better than the others and can do what the others couldn't. The cardinal rule for timeshares is to never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare. The upfront fee might have many euphemisms such as market analysis fee, pre-paid closing costs, transfer tax, etc.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.