Timeshare Companies

AVOID HILTON GRAND VACATIONS

Jul 07, 2015

I was cold called by Hilton Grand Vacations last year and talked into doing a tour for their timeshares….a lure of 10,000 Hilton Honors points and $100 voucher and 2 nights in select Hilton Grand Vacation property locations. My kids have always wanted to go to New York City, so that's what I chose. They charged me $337 for a 2 night stay at the Hilton Garden Inn.

I had to change the reservation once because my daughter made varsity cheerleader and had to go to camp over the exact days that I had chosen to do our trip. I called them months in advance to do this and the first red flag went up….they said I could change the date once but after that it would be a $29 fee. The date was changed from June 1-3 to the end of June.

We got to New York and checked in. The hotel is wonderful. The staff is friendly and accommodating. No one from Hilton Grand Vacations contacted me so I showed up at the time they had insisted...1 PM on the 2nd day we were there. I made my way several blocks over to the place where they do the presentation. My husband was not with me. We had separated several months earlier, and, honestly, I didn't feel that mattered. I am the primary breadwinner of the family. I can afford a timeshare if I choose to do that. I wanted to hear about what they had to offer. I am currently in the process of learning about them and had attended a Wyndham presentation that winter while on vacation, by myself!

The greeter at the door refused to let me in the presentation because my husband was not there. He puts me on the phone with “Customer Service” and I talked to a woman who says I had an agreement to bring him (I'm assuming verbal, since I never signed anything), and that since he didn't come I was going to be charged the full rate for the hotel. Or I could check out today (having stayed one night and having paid $337) and they wouldn't charge me anymore. So, I asked what the rate would be. She said that would be handled by another department. She got my number and said they would call me. In the meantime, I leave and walk back to the hotel and check to see what price I could get on the hotel on Priceline...anywhere from $149 to $299. So I had paid full price for the hotel already. I called Hilton Grand Vacations back and they said that's the hotel price. They would come up with a different price. In other words, and I verified this with the hotel staff, they could come up with ANY price they wanted and charge me. I talked to the Hilton Grand Vacations staff member in the lobby of the hotel and he was appalled at their behavior and called on our behalf. They refused to help in any way! The hotel manager was also stunned and allowed us a late check out.

So, after dealing with Hilton Grand Vacations rude and inconsiderate “customer service”agents all day I had paid $337 for one night stay and no time with my kids. We caught the Subway back to Laguardia Airport where we tried to change our airline tickets. The last flight out was full and we slept on the floor in the Food Court until 6am when we got a flight out.

I highly recommend you avoid this company at all costs. They have no empathy or customer service….no flexiblity in times of stress or strife, and only care about the bottom line….money!

Mary H.
Jul 16, 2015

sorry for your issues, but in the offer is does state that if married both are required to attend.. (separated is still married in the eyes of the law)

Your best bet was to go on priceline or hotwire or airbnb and book a room separate. You would have had a better time with the kids for a lot less..

HGVC is a good company, when compared to waste er Westgate Resorts they are angels.

Check out TUG2.net for info on HGVC and resales.

Carl N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.