Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Seems like I'm Finally Getting Rid of Diamond Resorts Mystic Dunes

Nov 30, 2015

Ok, it has been many years, many $$ spent and although some may use and appreciate timeshares, my purchase was a mistake in hindsight. I have used it for many years, 100% exchanging out of my home resort since I now live in FL so I'm paying the elevated maintenance, exchange company and exchange fee year after year.

There is no way out of these in my limited analysis, if you are not in a Marriott or in a select few locations you have zero resale value. You have a hard time giving away the resort since folks start looking at the high maintenance costs… so difficult, (not impossible), to give away, almost zero chance to sell… where does that leave you??

It left me calling Diamond Resorts and requesting any information on a buy/giveback program if anything existed. To my utter shock, they responded with, yes we are doing this now as long as you are current. Of course I initiated immediately and after a few weeks I received the Quick Claim Deed, we signed through a notary, included the 250.00 transfer fee and away it went. At this point I have not received notification that everything was completed yet but I have the utmost confidence that this time I have actually rid myself of something I have not wanted for many years.

Not sure if everyone can have the same result but I thought I would put up information that would help you in looking at options to relinquish your resort. If anything changes I’ll update the post but I don’t expect anything unexpected at this time.

Gary

Gary L.
Nov 30, 2015

If you are dealing directly with Diamond Resorts then everything should go smoothly. I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 through deed backs ( quit claim ) . It went exactly as you described. The cost was minimal and it was done quickly. Just be patient and you should receive the final paperwork soon. I have encouraged others to contact their home resorts and do the same thing you did. There are still people out there giving thousands of dollars to scammers who promise to take the property out of their names and then find out that they still own their timeshares and they lost their money to the scammers. You did it the right way and I hope others follow your lead.

Don P.
Dec 21, 2015

I also went to diamond resorts just last week requesting to get out of my timeshare that I have at barefoot in the keys in Kissimmee. Too early to hear back from them yet. The lady also said it was 250 for the transfer fee . I'm so afraid they will come back later with all these extra fees. We have owned my timeshare eight years have never had any problems issues. We have never even stayed in our own. we have been to it and toured it when we were in the area with someone else but never stayed in it. Though it truly saddens me to sell and not be able to vacation on these prices. You can't rent a bug infested hotel these days for 200 bucks. I love being able to go anywhere I want to go for $200 a week even to Spain for two weeks either using points or cash. The only reason I want to sell is I'm afraid where the maintenance fees will be in five years.they were 450 when I purchased eight years ago they are now 650 but I heard diamond resorts is the worst for raising their fees and I have read nothing but horrible reviews about them. Heard people rent out their weeks to make money to pay their maintenance fees, don't know anything about that, never tried it just found out about this site yesterday so checking it out. I would almost prefer to find a way to have my maintenance fees paid for and stay in it and continue vacationing like I am. I'm just torn…

Carol A.
Dec 22, 2015

Well I'm glad you found this site before falling for any of the many scams that are targeted at timeshare owners. The deal Diamond is offering to take your unit back for a minimal fee sounds like it fits. Diamond won't come back to you with other fees provided you are up to date with your mortgage and maintenance fees.

I do wonder though where you can find units for rent at $200/week in Spain.

As for renting your unit out to cover maintenance fees, it's a complicated, risky process. There is a huge glut of units available for rental in Orlando so there is a lot of competition and undercutting and you will probably see many owners offering their units for rent for less than the maintenance fees, if they can even find a renter at all.

Lance C.
Dec 22, 2015

Like Lance stated you should be doing cartwheels to get out for that minimal processing fee. Read the forums and you will see how many people would jump at that opportunity. If you are dealing directly with the resort there is no risk. Just like Lance stated there are scammers lined up to take your money. Let us know if you decide to go through with the deal and everything goes smoothly.

Don P.
Jan 09, 2016

Hi did you sell your time share? We are trying to get rid if ours at mystic dunes in Florida. My husband would be interested in the key west one but need more info on it please. Thank you lynne

Lynne O.
Jan 09, 2016

Is ther no way we can sell it ? Would really like some money back for it.

Lynne O.
Jan 09, 2016

lynneo18 wrote:
Is ther no way we can sell it ? Would really like some money back for it.

After joining RedWeek ($15 annual fee) you can list it for sale here on RedWeek. Be realistic and competitive in your pricing. You can also try listing on Craigslist, E-Bay, My Resort Network, or Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"). Remember to never pay anyone a large, upfront fee to list or sell your unit.

Lance C.
Jan 21, 2016

Hello Gary, i am Canadian but i have a Diamond Resort in Sedona, Arizona. I want to try what you did, i am just concern about the notary. I wonder i can use a Canadian notary or not. Was it a notary from Diamond or your own ? May i ask how much this visit to the notary cost you ? Thanks Isabelle

Isabelle C.
Jan 21, 2016

A notary just confirms your signature on a document is verified. I'm sure a Canadian notary should suffice. If you are dealing directly with Diamond Resorts they should be able to answer all your questions and guide you through the entire process.

Don P.
Feb 04, 2016

Any news on your transaction? Is it done?

Peri W.
Feb 04, 2016

Not yet Gary, first i want to book a holiday with my 2016 points. Then i will call. Somewhere in the next month or so. I will keep you post!

Isabelle C.
Oct 07, 2016

Folks,

Just wanted to provide an update. My process took a very long time, mostly because Diamond doesn't communicate anything to you, you have to always call and figure out where you are in the process. I waited and waited after I sent papers in, finally I was told it didn't have the correct number of signatures... but no one told me.

Received new paperwork, everything was sent in and again, no responses. Called about 3-4 times over the course of 3-4 months, each time I was receiving positive information letting me know it was progressing.

Finally I have received, (after another call), my completed Quit-Claim Deed and my account is closed out. My paid maintenance fees for 2016 was refunded a few months ago and now I have no account with Diamond.

If you own a Diamond resort, call them, ask them for a relinquishment, I think this only works if you owe nothing, but either way its worth a try. They offered it to me when I called in for something else so it's all possible. For the first time in years I feel like I am free of this mess and a burden has been lifted.

Good luck and god bless, Gary

Gary L.
Oct 07, 2016

Hi. I also just completed a relinquishment thru Diamond Resorts on Mystic Dunes. Note- one of the papers the title company sends you needs two witnesses in ADDITION to the notary. We called for clarification. I was also concerned the fee to get rid of the unit would go up during the process, but it was as quoted and to the title company itself. I had tried selling here-giving it away basically and it is currently cheaper to rent a unit than pay maintenance, so no interest at all after a year posting. Good luck!

Peri W.
Oct 23, 2016

Gary just want to ask if you were able to get any of your money back for the timeshare you've paid for? We want to get rid of our timeshare too but we are afraid if we will be able to get any money back?

Mechelle D.
Oct 23, 2016

Money back?? I started this thread stating I could not give my property away let alone sell it. I consider the money spent a growing pain and one that I can never recoup. To me that's fine since I just wanted out, for others it may be different, all situations are not the same.

Depending on where you own there is very limited chance of getting any money out. Maybe a Marriott location, maybe a highly sought out location with very few timeshares, but if you own in a popular place, (mine was 5 min from Disney but so were 25 other timeshares), it's difficult to impossible to get rid of the timeshare through sale. Before everyone gets on me, yes I understand that some few may have had luck but they are only the few.

If you want to get rid of it and you don't owe anything I would start with the timeshare directly, this didn't work for years for me but it did the last time and I am happy to be free and clear even though I didn't get any money back for it.

Gary

Gary L.
Oct 19, 2017

Recycle it.

Ron J.
Nov 25, 2017

Does the relinquishment mean that you received money back for your package with Diamond Resorts? We are paid in full but really do not want it anymore. It would be nice to get money back since we have only had it for 2 years. Thanks!

garyl108 wrote:
Folks,

Just wanted to provide an update. My process took a very long time, mostly because Diamond doesn't communicate anything to you, you have to always call and figure out where you are in the process. I waited and waited after I sent papers in, finally I was told it didn't have the correct number of signatures... but no one told me.

Received new paperwork, everything was sent in and again, no responses. Called about 3-4 times over the course of 3-4 months, each time I was receiving positive information letting me know it was progressing.

Finally I have received, (after another call), my completed Quit-Claim Deed and my account is closed out. My paid maintenance fees for 2016 was refunded a few months ago and now I have no account with Diamond.

If you own a Diamond resort, call them, ask them for a relinquishment, I think this only works if you owe nothing, but either way its worth a try. They offered it to me when I called in for something else so it's all possible. For the first time in years I feel like I am free of this mess and a burden has been lifted.

Good luck and god bless, Gary

Renee M.
Nov 25, 2017

reneem322 wrote:
Does the relinquishment mean that you received money back for your package with Diamond Resorts? We are paid in full but really do not want it anymore. It would be nice to get money back since we have only had it for 2 years.

No, you would not get any money back. In fact, Diamond might even charge you a fee to give it back. I know it might be a hard pill to swallow but that is the hard reality of the timeshare business.

Lance C.
Nov 26, 2017

reneem322 wrote:
Does the relinquishment mean that you received money back for your package with Diamond Resorts? We are paid in full but really do not want it anymore. It would be nice to get money back since we have only had it for 2 years. Thanks!

The current Diamond practice, *IF* they agree to take back your particular 'product' at all (there is no guarantee that DRI will do so), is to CHARGE the "grantor" a $250 processing fee, never mind RETURN any money..

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 26, 2017 05:03 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.