Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

HGV Owner and new to RW, looking to sell points

Apr 11, 2016

Hi all, My wife and I are HGVClub owners now for 4-5 years. We like it a lot but this year are very busy and cannot see or anticipate any time for vacations. Instead of "saving" them and spending money we'd like others to be able to enjoy some times/places. Can you give me some insight into what the best way to do this is? We've got 14k points which will buy just about anything anywhere.

Jeff S.
Apr 11, 2016

Are you looking to sell the ownership or just a year or two's points- more commonly called renting?

If you are looking to rent then according to HGVC you can only rent out your home resort not points or a reservation made in a resort or time outside of your home week.

Tracey S.
Apr 11, 2016

Yes I guess it would be considered "renting" points. I have no home week or anything. I can go where/when I want to places available, including RCI resorts.

Jeff S.
Apr 12, 2016

You do have a home week and a home resort. It is the one that is on your deed. It is the one you can reserve during your home week period (12 months) before you hit club availability. No one is allowed to rent out RCI exchanges.

To use Redweek, you would reserve something that you think people would want and then you advertise it. When you get a renter you would call HGVC and put the renter's name on the reservation with a guest cert. It usually doesn't work to advertise points with open availability because many renters don't make up their mind until it is too late (no availability) to reserve anything prime. If they want something that isn't prime then it means they don't want to pay very much for it and you probably wouldn't be able to cover the MF's for those points.

Tracey S.
Apr 12, 2016

Tracey thank you! Just thought there'd be an easier way. If someone wanted a specific time and place it would be great to have them be able to contact you!

Jeff S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.