Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Dues/maintainence fees/free timshare?

Apr 21, 2016

Quick question. What's the average dues/maintenance fees for a timeshare? Can these be paid monthly or are they annual? I've been reading in the forums that ppl give away timeshares due to the costs of these. But I haven't seen any free timeshares. Where are these people? :)

Sarah G.
Apr 21, 2016

sarahg265 wrote:
What's the average dues/maintenance fees for a timeshare? Can these be paid monthly or are they annual? I've been reading in the forums that ppl give away timeshares due to the costs of these. But I haven't seen any free timeshares. Where are these people? :)

Maintenance fees can range depending on location, size of unit, name brand, etc. Some in the Vegas area are as low as $500 per year (or week depending on how you want to look at it). Some 3-bedroom units in Maui are around $3000 per year. However, average I would say are about $800-$1000. If you look at the For Sale ads here on RedWeek or other timeshare sites such as E-Bay, Timeshare Users Group (TUG), or My Resort Network, ads should disclose the maintenance fees. And in general, the dues are paid annually and due in January. There are a few exceptions to that rule but I would count on having to pay in January for that year's usage.

As for free timeshares, check out E-Bay. Well, they might not be exactly free as many of the listings start at $1. RedWeek has a Bargain Basement section where owners are listing for $1 or less. The same can be said about TUG's Bargain Deals section. Also, if you see an ad that you like and the owner is listing it for low dough, you might be able to haggle and ask for it for "free" if you perhaps offer to pay the closing costs. When an owner is listing it for minimal money, chances are that he is just trying to dump it in order to escape paying the maintenance fees and may be willing to give it away.

Lance C.
Apr 21, 2016

Why purchase a timeshare when you can rent one for less that the owner pays in maintenance fees. You can look for rentals on this site and others.

If you decide to purchase you will commit yourself to a lifetime of ever increasing maintenance fees and assessments . Look through the forums and you will see how many people want to give away their timeshares just to get out from under the fees. You will also find that there are high fees for exchanging your unit for another at a different timeshare if you can find one that suits you.

My advice would be to rent one and not get involved in the world of corporate greed that has destroyed timeshare ownership .

Don P.
Apr 21, 2016

To be honest I'm Leaning towards just renting. I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for. Since Jan is off peak for Orlando I'm not seeing a lot of those weeks 1-4 for rent. Plus I need it to sleep 6. I think the only timeshare I would be interested in owning is an Orlando fixed week 1-4. But I'm not seeing very many of those out there.

Sarah G.
Apr 21, 2016

sarahg265 wrote:
I think the only timeshare I would be interested in owning is an Orlando fixed week 1-4. But I'm not seeing very many of those out there.

Which websites have you been checking out?

Lance C.
Apr 22, 2016

I've looked both here and tug scince I purchased memberships to both. But I'm also new to the searching process as well. If anyone has any info regarding those dates feel free to message me tho!

Sarah G.

Last edited by sarahg265 on Apr 22, 2016 09:52 AM

Apr 23, 2016

I messaged you about Jan. & Orange Lake.

EBay is another good place to look for a specific week. Orange Lake timeshares for sale section.

I found a specific week every year can be very hard to do, year, after year.

My week at Orange lake cost $950 annually , Plus annual membership $126 and I went to points so making a reservation outside of my "home stay" cost $59 plus $35 point guard (get pts back if plans change) so $94 total to make the reservation.

These are yearly cost no matter what I would have just rented myself if I found these sights first. Good luck Dave

Dave

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.