Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying Marriott Vacation Club via Redweek resale

May 26, 2016

If the owner is selling out of their timeshare deed but has not converted to the point system, will I be charged an extra cost to transition to the point system? is it mandatory that Marriott timeshare owners concert to the point system?

Suzanne W.
May 27, 2016

suzannew144 wrote:
If the owner is selling out of their timeshare deed but has not converted to the point system, will I be charged an extra cost to transition to the point system? is it mandatory that Marriott timeshare owners concert to the point system?

No it is not mandatory to convert to points.

Lance C.
May 27, 2016

Not only is it not mandatory, it isn't an option to enroll in the points system if you buy (bought) resales, not brokered though Marriott, after June 2010. There have been a few limited opportunities to enroll post 2010 resales but have required an additional 2000 + points retail purchase which would cost $20,000+. Even the Marriott brokered resales require an additional points purchase.

Tracey S.
Mar 15, 2022

Is there any advantage or difference in buying directly from the Marriott Vacation Club rather than from Redweek?

Jasper E.
Mar 15, 2022

This article may answer some of your questions about buying a MVC resale: MVC Resales

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Apr 05, 2022

Is this something that people do. Purchase multiple timeshare properties off the resale market and lease them out for profit. It seems like a risky venture, but I would think savvy people could make a small profit off this. Let me know if you or someone you know actually do this, and if so, how successful are they at it.

Ron M.
Apr 06, 2022

Does any one know the ballpark costs associated with buying a time share in Maui. I made an offer and was told the closing costs to be approximately 2,000. I’m a redweek member and owner at the Maui Marriott. But this offer was listed by Sell My Time Share Now. Any help is appreciated David

Dave G.
Apr 06, 2022

ronm615 wrote:
Is this something that people do. Purchase multiple timeshare properties off the resale market and lease them out for profit. It seems like a risky venture, but I would think savvy people could make a small profit off this. Let me know if you or someone you know actually do this, and if so, how successful are they at it.

It doesn't matter whether a person purchased off the resale market or from the developer. What matters is what the maintenance fees are compared to what an owner could easily fetch for a rental. Like you said, it is a risky venture. From my personal observation, it seems like >95% of the units out there have their maintenance fees exceed what could be fetched for a rental, thus making these properties a huge liability, especially if someone wants to undertake the venture of renting these out for profit and business.

If you are fortunate enough to find and own a unit that could be rented out for more than the maintenance fees, you also have to consider your time and effort including advertising, dealing with wafflers, collecting money, and dealing with disputes.

Lance C.

Last edited by lancec13 on Apr 06, 2022 11:19 AM

Nov 04, 2022

How to find out if my parents Marriott timeshare has value to sell it. Tks.

Kathleen G.
Nov 05, 2022

You can visit the resort page on our website to view what other owners are asking for similar-size units and see how many have sold within the past 30 days (those postings with a "Sold" sign). You can also visit this page to view the resale history for the resort:

What's My Timeshare Worth

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.