Jun 16, 2016

We are in our 60 and looking to buy a timeshare, can someone please advise which timeshare is a good one, who to purchase from etc. We want to retire and enjoy some vacations in different areas.

Pat F.
Jun 16, 2016

I would advise you to rent one through this site or another. You can rent one for less than they yearly maintenance fees without committing yourself to a lifetime of increasing fees and assessments .The timeshare industry has changed over the years and I would advise anyone not to purchase one . They have converted to points and they rip you off with annual fees and no availability when you want to book a week. I'm sure you will be getting a lot of feed back shortly. Listen to the people who know from experience.

Don P.
Jun 16, 2016

I second this motion , if I had to do it all over again and I got lucky.

Dave
Jul 14, 2016

I also second the motion........My wife and I have been in the Hyatt system with two properties. Back when they used to be worth it. They used to have a resale program, they used to handle their own exchanges, they used to take care of the owners. Interval now handles all exchanges, in or out of Hyatt. When we bought our first one maintenance fees were 300.00, now a shade under 1,600.00 a yr for one. Now the new way to squeeze owners , they are going to a "PURE POINTS" system. Both of our weeks are deeded for the week in the same unit yr. after yr. With the new points system, they trying to influence existing deeded owners to buy in for 12,500.00 with the same promise of being to exchange in anywhere(BULL) if we DON'T we are told that eventually we won't be able to trade out, and all we can do is enjoy our week at our home resort. My advise keep your membership with Redweek, TUG, or whom ever, save the maintenance fees, and enjoy a longer vacation. By the way my wife and I both are in our 60's GOOD LUCK

donp196 wrote:
I would advise you to rent one through this site or another. You can rent one for less than they yearly maintenance fees without committing yourself to a lifetime of increasing fees and assessments .The timeshare industry has changed over the years and I would advise anyone not to purchase one . They have converted to points and they rip you off with annual fees and no availability when you want to book a week. I'm sure you will be getting a lot of feed back shortly. Listen to the people who know from experience.

William P.

Last edited by williamp511 on Jul 14, 2016 05:54 PM

Jul 16, 2016

You also need to educate yourselves in the "language of timeshares." TUG(Timeshare Users Group, www.tug2.net) has excellent tutorials as well as listings to rent. Good luck!

Elizabeth(Lizz) M.
Jul 17, 2016

elizabeth1416 wrote:
You also need to educate yourselves in the "language of timeshares." TUG(Timeshare Users Group, www.tug2.net) has excellent tutorials as well as listings to rent. Good luck!

Thank you for your valuable insight ! But if you notice, I did not give proper web addresses for Redweek or whoever. Whatever search engine you use Redweek, Tug, with the exception of whoever, still comes up Redweek, TUG. perhaps if you concerned yourself with the context, other than computer speak.

William P.
Jul 17, 2016

We HAD Wyndham timeshare (s) and enjoyed a LOT of trips. IF you book early enough, you do not have the big problem of availability. We sold our timeshares back to Wyndham and now rent weeks at other resorts. We have found that a lot of them are NOT as nice as Wyndham. I recommended Wyndham to a friend because he and his family want to go to Destin, FL EVERY year. He purchased a Wyndham Destin timeshare and they are really enjoying it. IF you want to go to other places, then I would recommend NOT buying a timeshare and instead rent from Red Week or VRBO. We rented a two bedroom from VRBO last Sept in Chandler, AZ and it worked out great. We had a two bedroom, two bath and it was only $65 a night which included cleaning. Enjoy your travels. We are both retired now and do travel more but our maintenance fees were over $300 a month for four weeks of travel. So now we try to just rent a week for $300 to $400 three or four times a year. You are more limited as to places to go and as I said we have NOT stayed in one as nice as Wyndham yet, but I am sure they are out there. Hope this helps.

Bob C.
Aug 03, 2016

We prefer the HGVC program or Hilton Grand Vacation Club program, but it really depends on where you like to vacation or are looking to go to. Each timeshare has a different set of locations and properties. I also agree about booking ahead. I've never had any problems getting what I was looking for as long as I was booking 5-6 months out. Hope that helps!

Renee S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.