Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Trade deeded Marriott weeks: St. Thomas for Hilton Head Monarch?

Jul 23, 2016

We have a deeded week with Marriott in St. Thomas. I'd like to trade our week in St. Thomas (also worth 2,775 points) for a deeded week at the Marriott Monarch resort in Hilton Head, SC.

Any recommendations/suggestions/ideas on how best to do this?

Thanks! Kevin

Kevin D.
Jul 23, 2016

To do so you would have to find the Monarch owner who wants your St. Thomas week. It would probably be easier to just sell what you have to someone who wants it and then buy a HH Monarch week. Keep in mind whether you find a person to do a permanent swap or if you sell your and then buy someone else's, neither week would then be eligible to be used in the Marriott destination club as they would then be considered post 2010 resale weeks.

If you are looking for a one time exchange the easiest thing would be to elect points and then wait list for the week you want.

Tracey S.
Jul 23, 2016

Thanks, Tracey. Where can I learn more about your comment "neither week would then be eligible to be used in the Marriott destination club as they would then be considered post 2010 resale weeks." If I buy a week at the Monarch post 2010, I would still expect to be able to use it each year. Am I not able to trade it for points? Thx

Kevin D.
Aug 05, 2017

We own a Marriott Vacation Club week in St. Thomas. It's a 2 bedroom unit in the Gold season. Each year, we trade it for 2775 points that we generally use in Hilton Head, SC. It appears the resales of St. Thomas Gold weeks are selling for approximately $8-10K. For us to purchase 2775 points from Marriott, we'll need to spend at least $16K. So what is my incentive to sell the St. Thomas property? What am I missing or not considering?

Kevin D.
Aug 26, 2017

I agree with you on those points. You couldn't purchase them for the resale price. In this case I would pick up another Marriott week, it would give you some advantages in reserving weeks that you could use or rent if you want to recoup the maintenance fee.

James L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.