Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Prevent Fraud when Renting

Dec 29, 2016

First time renter here. Saw a posting I liked, clicked I would rent it, and the owner sent me a paypal invoice and timeshare rental agreement that says charges are my responsibility, check out times, etc. No mention of the resort or the week. I will get both inserted into the agreement. What can I do to ensure this is really the rental property owner?

Caroline C.
Dec 30, 2016

Call the resort and ask for verification of unit, week, and owner charges would include transfer, parking (if any) and any thing else you would add.

William P.
Dec 30, 2016

Thank you!

Caroline C.
Dec 30, 2016

I neglected to mention that "no resort, no week" is a red flag. Be sure to get these included, Never send any money for an add that does not give you all pertinent info. Do all your checking and all info of unit, week, and responsibility's.

GOOD LUCK............

William P.

Last edited by williamp511 on Dec 30, 2016 07:25 AM

Dec 30, 2016

We have a timeshare that we rent out occasionally. What is the safest way to collect payment from our guests. How does PayPal work in this situation. What happens when the guests change their minds at the last minute? In the past, we were able to demand payment up front using bank to bank money wire transfers. Recently with rampant online fraud activities, guests no longer are willing to pay up front. However, as owners we need to protect ourselves from scammers who are just fishing and lead owners on until the last moment. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

Vivien S.
Dec 30, 2016

I usually want all monies up front, I did have one where they wanted to give 1/2 up front. After speaking with them on the phone I went that with the second half paid in 30 days. No second half, NO return. I rent with in a graduated time frame down to 30 days before occupancy. At 30 days I can convert to points. Realizing that events change and plans also, most generally if they would want to cancel with in 30 days of full payment, I give half back. As stated previously 30 days or less -0- money returned. Pay-pal charges a 3% charge for there usage. I don't use pay-pal for that reason. I ask for a bank check, will take a personal check only on the condition that it must, clear allowing 7 to 10 days. Never putting in the renters name until I have all monies in my account.

William P.
Dec 30, 2016

A contract is the best way to go with terms that state exactly the requirements for both parties. You could use an escrow service which is more expensive but more secure. There are always risks associated with rentals .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Dec 30, 2016 10:39 AM

Dec 31, 2016

As a renter, my main fear was renting a timehsare from someone who was not the owner. Marriott said one of the things they can do is get on the phone with both the owner and renter so you can verify 1. the timeshare is real and 2. Owned by the person you're speaking with. Also as an FYI American Express told me that paying through PayPal invalidates any fraud protection they have. We just rented, used the boilerplate redweek contract, paid half, got a confirmation from the resort of the name change on the reservation, and the paid the other half.

Caroline C.

Last edited by carolinac29 on Dec 31, 2016 08:13 AM

Jan 01, 2017

Thank you . You have all been very informative.

Vivien S.
Jan 01, 2017

what does it mean red week verified? would you only rent from these?

Rini G.
Jan 01, 2017

Rini-

If a week has been verified by RedWeek, it means we have received the owner's resort confirmation and have confirmed with the resort that the member owns the week they are posting.

If you have further questions, please Contact Us .

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Jan 02, 2017

Verified means that the advertising owner/renter paid an additional fee to have Redweek verify the owner information and the rental details. Most owners will provide that same info directly to the potential renter so the renter can verify the details themselves.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.