Timeshare Companies

Marriott System

May 25, 2008

I can not confirm the rumors. I do not have any knowledge about what changes, if any, will be made to the MVC to MVC internal exchange priority system. My guess is that Marriott will continue the long-term relationship of using Interval Intl. for all exchanges.

I do know that resale buyers will continue to pay for Marriott hotel and airfare trips with cash or MR points obtained in other ways, instead of converting their villa(s) to MR points.

Eric

Eric F.
May 26, 2008

ericf55 wrote:
I can not confirm the rumors. I do not have any knowledge about what changes, if any, will be made to the MVC to MVC internal exchange priority system. My guess is that Marriott will continue the long-term relationship of using Interval Intl. for all exchanges.

I do know that resale buyers will continue to pay for Marriott hotel and airfare trips with cash or MR points obtained in other ways, instead of converting their villa(s) to MR points.

Eric

Eric, I believe that you are right on the money! I believe the only difference for people purchasing directly through Marriott is they have the Marriott Reward Point Program, allowing owners to convert (trade) their weeks for points, plus the promotions at point of sale.

On the other hand, I can't foresee Marriott changing the priority exchange system to favor owners who purchased directly with Marriott, which would discriminate against owners who purchased on the resale market. I believe that there may be legal issues if they attempt do to so, which may account for one of the reasons that they have never done so in the past. Besides, this is usually a tactic that Marriott sales representatives have been saying for years to discourage people from considering purchasing on the resale market.

Charles G.
Nov 17, 2008

"The secondary differences are MR points purchase incentives and optional financing from Marriott."

Financing thru' Marriott offered 25000 Reward points every six months (think perhaps you had to use their branded Visa for payments, I forget the details) - a reward (of sorts) for the sky-high interest rate !

I received a letter a couple of days ago, this is going away.

If you qualify, there will be one more deposit of 25000 Reward points by Dec31 2008, regardless of whether it's been six months since the last, and no more thereafter.

Paul G.
Dec 30, 2008

I've owned Phase 1 for about 13 years. I bought from the local reseller. For the first couple of years i was allowed to use most of the Spa services for free. Oldest daughter did once...massage i think. Then they changed policy (original deeds warned that this could happen so no surprise) for all owners of Phase 1 so today we use only the exercise room. Never did they segregate those who purchased from Marriott direct, from those who bought thru a reseller. In my contract and deed, which is old there is no differentiation. So interested in hearing more of your experiences on this issue TIA Tom

Thomas M.
Mar 25, 2009

HI: I am an original owner too. Please tell me exactly what the advantages are to being the origional as I am looking to list my units, if I can find a reputable listing company. Did you use red week? If so what is your opinion of the service? murphymac@prodigy.net

Rena M.
Mar 26, 2009

renam15 wrote:
HI: I am an original owner too. Please tell me exactly what the advantages are to being the origional as I am looking to list my units, if I can find a reputable listing company. Did you use red week? If so what is your opinion of the service? murphymac@prodigy.net
RedWeek, TUG, myresortnetwork, vacationtimesharerentals, bidshares, craigslist, and eBay are all reuptable place where you can list your TS for a minimal (if any) fee.

Keep in mind you put a listing on these sites and these sites do not screen contacts. You must be on the lookout for potential scammers who may contact you regarding your ad.

Mike N.
Apr 09, 2009

Does anyone know which Marriott properties have (a) the lowest annual maintenance fee and (b) 2-bedrooms with the lock-off feature. Thank you!

Wendy M.
Apr 09, 2009

You can look up the information here... http://www.tug2.net/advice/marriottmf.htm

GaryDouglas
Apr 09, 2009

I would say that Marriott Horizons Branson would be very close to the bottom on MF's. You can get a platinum week there for about $3000. Since they are dropping the Horizon's name soon and raising their standards to full Marriott standards, the MF's may go up a bit in the near future.

Terry H.
Apr 09, 2009

terry314 wrote:
I would say that Marriott Horizons Branson would be very close to the bottom on MF's. You can get a platinum week there for about $3000. Since they are dropping the Horizon's name soon and raising their standards to full Marriott standards, the MF's may go up a bit in the near future.

Are all Marriott platinum weeks the same in the eyes of trading power?

In any case wendy922 has to also base her decision on how she wants to use her TS. If she wants it soley for trading power, then a unit in Branson might not be the best choice even if it is the cheapest.

Mike N.
Apr 09, 2009

This is Wendy. Thanks to those who responded. To clarify, I'm interested in using the timeshare for the best trading power, but want the lowest annual maintenance fee (this is not the same as the purchase price of the week itself). I'm willing to shop for the best purchase price of the available weeks on Redweek, but I want to stay with Marriott because I love their quality. From all I've read, it seems a 2 BR lockoff would be best if I can separate it into a 1 BR and Studio and thentrade those 2 weeks through Interval International. I need help determining which Marriott resorts (there are probably several) have the lowest annual maintenance fees (not purchase price) *and* 2-bedroom lock offs. Of those resorts, which ones provide the highest trading power, and is the trading power linked to whether I buy a gold vs platinum vs white week at that resort? Thanks in advance for your help. Hope this makes sense.

Wendy M.
Apr 10, 2009

Trading power is NOT the same at all platinum units!

Branson still gets bonus weeks (as of 2009) for most 1BR platinum deposits with II, so obviously there is some demand there (good for trading power). A historically really good trader is Marriott's Grande Vista (MGV) in Orlando. It has relatively low MF's and trades better than the average Marriott with low MF's. Another would be Manor Club Sequel (MSE).

MGV can be bought for about $6,000 MSE can be bought for about $8,500

Terry H.
Apr 10, 2009

Wendy,

I know you want trading power, but I would still suggest that you purchase a resort that you don't mind going to all the time and really, really like. You still want to use your timeshare. I bought Ko Olina in Hawaii because I really love the place and planned to go pretty much every year. I do and enjoy it. I plan on being there a lot when I retire in 15 years. Remember, you will have this for the rest of your life or at least until you can sell it. It is very difficult to sell so make sure you really think about your purchase and where you purchase. Of course, if money is not a problem don't worry. However, the average person usually has to watch their pocketbook. This was just a little food for thought.

Charles S.
Apr 10, 2009

ronald118 wrote:
allanc19 wrote:
ericf55 wrote:
Today, Interval Intl. does not exclude resale market MVC purchasers from the 24 day MVC to MVC priority exchange for internal exchanges. There have been rumors on this forum and tugbbs.com about Marriott studying plans to change the priority exchange rules to exclude future resale purchasers from access to priority exchange.

The primary difference between Marriott direct purchases and resale purchases is that only Marriott direct buyers can convert their villa usage to Marriott Reward points. The secondary differences are MR points purchase incentives and optional financing from Marriott.

Eric

Do not fall for all the rumors the only difference is in the points system and to many that does not matter when you can save some of the up to 40% commission that Marriott chargres sellers and pass some of it along as a savings to the buyer.

Eric Thanks for the post! Question? Will clients who are astute enough to use the secondary Market be able to trade directly through the Marriott system or will these clients be confined to II?

DrRonald H.
Dec 31, 2009

We are new to the MArriott family, We have a platnum week at Marriott Newport Coast. We are looking to buy at least one maybe two more weeks at Newport Coast. Does buying from the resale market make sense and what are the draw backs.

Mike M.
Dec 31, 2009

Yes, it makes sense and the only downside (unless they change the rules) are that you cannot turn in your week for points. Check out WWW.TUGBBS.COM and look for the Marriott forum. Digest that for a month or so and you should be well informed by then...

GaryDouglas
Jan 01, 2010

I bought Desert Springs Villas 1 from an outside vendor about 11 years ago. Only difference i have found is i am unable to swap in for points even though i have a rewards card from my traveling days when working. Starting about two trades back i have had great personal service when swapping Marriott for Marriott via II. Rep almost like a travel agent. This past year Marriott is charging me $75 per unit to split my weeks. I think we can expect better service and more nuisance charges in the coming months because Marriott lost a couple of billion $$ this past year almost all of it in the Time share division. in fact many of their divisions made money.

Thomas M.
Jun 17, 2011

Can antone comment on the many Marriott timeshares that are selling for $1.00? I see them all over the internet especially on EBay. I have met people at the Royal Caribbean in Cancun where I have my timeshare who traded into a Royal villa through Interval International using their timeshare unit that they had purchased for $1.00

Keith A.
Jun 17, 2011

Marriott owners that own anything but platinum (prime) season have discovered that there is little to no resale market. The maintenance fees have reached the point to where it is now cheaper to rent at the same resort.

Why pay thousands for a timeshare and have annual maintenance fees of $1000 or more when you can rent that same week for $800 on Redweek's website. However, those who know and are willing to learn the trading system can make this work nicely for them. Imagine buying a Gold week for $100 and trading it into premium places like Hawaii or Aruba.

It happens all the time.

Good luck.

Terry H.
Jan 27, 2012

I have a resale. It would cost me alittle over $1,400.00 to buy into the Point system. I usually do "short stays" (6 days) only to Vegas or Palm Desert. Is it worth it to pay the $1,400.00?

Terry

Terry F.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.