Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

How to get rid of a timeshare you no longer want ....

Oct 23, 2006

http://www.timesharetrap.com/charities_that_accept_timeshare_donations.html

R P.
Oct 26, 2006

There's a good article on the subject at SmartMoney.com http://www.smartmoney.com/consumer/index.cfm?story=20060804

There is also pertinent information at the Timeshare Users Group web site http://www.tug2.net. Look for information at the top of the "Buying and Selling" bulletin board.

Marie M.
Oct 27, 2006

We have an odd year time share at KA'EO KAI that we wish to sell. We do not know the first thing about selling a time share and all the legal requirements. Please advise.

Earl R.
Nov 06, 2006

Earl,

The following article on selling your timeshare is a good place to start:

http://www.redweek.com/help/sale_process/owner

If you make sure you know what restrictions your resort places on a resale, and use a title and escrow company to finalize the transaction, most of your bases should be covered.

Kylie

Kylie
RedWeek.com

Last edited by kyliec on Nov 06, 2006 03:24 PM

Nov 16, 2006

I have a timeshare at a wonderful resort in Orlando. There are people interested in buying it until they find out how much the maintenance fee is!! I've dropped the asking price from $13,000 to $7,500.

Any suggestions? I haven't used the week for this year and I do have a lot of RCI points. For financial reasons I need and want to sell the timeshare by the end of January.

Help!! Also, I'm not that familiar with renting it?

Thanks, Gayle

Gayle R.
Nov 17, 2006

gayler5 wrote:
I have a timeshare at a wonderful resort in Orlando. There are people interested in buying it until they find out how much the maintenance fee is!! I've dropped the asking price from $13,000 to $7,500.

Any suggestions? I haven't used the week for this year and I do have a lot of RCI points. For financial reasons I need and want to sell the timeshare by the end of January.

Help!! Also, I'm not that familiar with renting it?

Thanks, Gayle

Without knowing which resort you own, I am guessing that you are pricing it way too high. There are very few, if any, resorts in Orlando that would command such a high price, except for the premium hotel based properties such as Disney, Marriott, Hilton Grand, etc...

Read the articles suggested by the above responders. There is a lot of practical information contained in them. Determine what your timeshare is actually worth by checking ads on Redweek, Ebay, and many resale companies. And then place ads here and at a few other low cost sites. Do not pay any company an upfront fee to list/sell your week!

It will probably take you quite awhile to sell unless you are desperate, and willing to accept a "fire sale" price.

In the meantime, why don't you reserve the best week(s) available (holidays and prime season) and then place rental ads here at Redweek.com. I own many timeshare weeks and have had great success renting them through ads placed at this web site. It will at least help pay the maintenance fees until you are able to sell your timeshare. Good luck!

Marie M.
Nov 18, 2006

jennie gayler5 I have a timeshare at a wonderful resort in Orlando. There are people interested in buying it until they find out how much the maintenance fee is!! I've dropped the asking price from $13,000 to $7,500

Thanks for your response...My timeshare is at Kingstown Reef at the Crowne Plaza (Worldmark) in Orlando, five minutes from Disney World. It is a 2-bedroom...

I have posted an ad to rent; I've also said that I have extra RCI points which need to be used by the end of Jan, 2007. I also have not used the week for 2006.

What would you say is a "fire sale" price? I need to sell by the end of January. I am on disability for bipolar disorder and could really use the money right now!!

Gayle R.
Nov 18, 2006

gayler5 jennie

gayler5 wrote:
I have a timeshare at a wonderful resort in Orlando. There are people interested in buying it until they find out how much the maintenance fee is!! I've dropped the asking price from $13,000 to $7,500

Thanks for your response...My timeshare is at Kingstown Reef at the Crowne Plaza (Worldmark) in Orlando, five minutes from Disney World. It is a 2-bedroom...

I have posted an ad to rent; I've also said that I have extra RCI points which need to be used by the end of Jan, 2007. I also have not used the week for 2006.

What would you say is a "fire sale" price? I need to sell by the end of January. I am on disability for bipolar disorder and could really use the money right now!!

is it a Worldmark based week i.e. do you have a Worldmark membership. If so, it goes for 0.80/credit.

Sam M.
Nov 19, 2006

The problem with Orlando (and the surrounding area) is that the area is vastly oversupplied with timeshare resorts. People can go to Ebay and other listing sites and find a gold crown resort in that area for a couple thousand (plus or minus) if they do their research.

We bought a week at one of the nicer Gold Crown resorts in a very popular area of the resort in Kissimmee for almost $11K a few years ago. When we got ready to sell it the most we were offered was $2900. Of course, we took a huge loss. You'll probably have to lessen your price even more if you really want to sell it and stop paying maintenance fees.

In 99.9% percent of cases you'll never get your money back from a developer bought timeshare o the resale market. When people are looking at resales they're looking for bargains, not developer prices. We learned that the hard way.

gayler5 wrote:
I have a timeshare at a wonderful resort in Orlando. There are people interested in buying it until they find out how much the maintenance fee is!! I've dropped the asking price from $13,000 to $7,500

R P.
Nov 20, 2006

earlr4 wrote:
We have an odd year time share at KA'EO KAI that we wish to sell. We do not know the first thing about selling a time share and all the legal requirements. Please advise.

Timeshare MLS.org assisted with the sale of my timeshare!! I would recommend to check them out !!! www.timesharemls.org

Sharon Savannah GA

Sharon H.
Nov 23, 2006

jayjay wrote:
http://www.timesharetrap.com/charities_that_accept_timeshare_donations.html
People are becoming more savvy when it comes to how to buy and therefore know they do not need to spend $$$thousands when they can buy it from you at a 3rd the cost. I suggest you try and rent it out to cover your maintenance fees! You can also keep it listed for sale!

Chris

Chris F.
Nov 24, 2006

I am the person who has a timeshare at Kingstown Reef at the Crowne Plaza (Worldmark) in Orlando.

My unit is a 2-bedroom. So far I am having no luck selling it....When renting, how do you determine a rental price?

Thanks, Gayle

Gayle R.
Nov 24, 2006

Since Orlando is an extremely over supplied timeshare area, I would list the rental at what the maintenance fee is. If you don't get any interest I would then deposit it (that is if you belong to an exchange company) for a future exchange.

gayler5 wrote:
I am the person who has a timeshare at Kingstown Reef at the Crowne Plaza (Worldmark) in Orlando.

My unit is a 2-bedroom. So far I am having no luck selling it....When renting, how do you determine a rental price?

Thanks, Gayle

R P.
Dec 10, 2006

There's a last resort (no pun intended) in case you go through any or all of the above resources and still can't get rid of the thing. There's a company called TimeShare Relief that will, for a fee, take it off your hands for you once and for all. Most of the TS industry hates this company because they offer people a way out where there isn't usually one. Going to TSR is infinitely better than paying fees indefinitely while hoping for some miraculous way out of the trap.

Sigmund R.
Dec 11, 2006

You can sell almost anything if you put it up on Ebay with a $1 starting bid. What do you think the Timeshare relief folks do with them? EXACTLY THAT. So you are paying $3500 minimum for someone to sell it on Ebay for you is the reality.

sigmundr wrote:
There's a last resort (no pun intended) in case you go through any or all of the above resources and still can't get rid of the thing. There's a company called TimeShare Relief that will, for a fee, take it off your hands for you once and for all. Most of the TS industry hates this company because they offer people a way out where there isn't usually one. Going to TSR is infinitely better than paying fees indefinitely while hoping for some miraculous way out of the trap.

John F.
Dec 11, 2006

Exactly! Timeshare Relief is one of the biggest rip-offs out there.

john1671 wrote:
You can sell almost anything if you put it up on Ebay with a $1 starting bid. What do you think the Timeshare relief folks do with them? EXACTLY THAT. So you are paying $3500 minimum for someone to sell it on Ebay for you is the reality.

R P.
Dec 11, 2006

Nice attempt at spreading misinformation, but TSR uses the timeshares they buy by renting them out for conferences and seminars -- effectively converting them from timeshares to hotel rooms.

The Ebay $1 starting bid thing wouldn't work anyway, because if you look on Ebay you'll see thousands of timeshares starting at $1, and few of these timeshares even get sold that way!

Sigmund R.
Dec 11, 2006

If you go to the timeshares section on Ebay and refine your search to Florida and then check the completed items only box and give a price range of $1 - $2 you get 98 listings. It looks like about 50% of these sold. So worst case, you run the ad 2-3 times before yours gets "hit".

Are you being sarcastic about timeshare relief? If not, go to tug2.net, the timeshare users group of 15,000+ members, and search for timeshare relief and read the numerous postings disclosing their statements and how they really dispose of them.

I know, many of my 90 timeshares were originally acquisitions under the name "Vacation Solutions"which were dumped on Ebay very cheaply. Please do your own research and you will see what the reality is.

sigmundr wrote:
Nice attempt at spreading misinformation, but TSR uses the timeshares they buy by renting them out for conferences and seminars -- effectively converting them from timeshares to hotel rooms.

The Ebay $1 starting bid thing wouldn't work anyway, because if you look on Ebay you'll see thousands of timeshares starting at $1, and few of these timeshares even get sold that way!

John F.
Dec 11, 2006

And to back my words with deeds (and deeds). I will take any timeshare that someone wants to unload for half the $3500 timeshare relief charges. Please find 100 or so for me, I hate working :)

john1671 wrote:
If you go to the timeshares section on Ebay and refine your search to Florida and then check the completed items only box and give a price range of $1 - $2 you get 98 listings. It looks like about 50% of these sold. So worst case, you run the ad 2-3 times before yours gets "hit".

Are you being sarcastic about timeshare relief? If not, go to tug2.net, the timeshare users group of 15,000+ members, and search for timeshare relief and read the numerous postings disclosing their statements and how they really dispose of them.

I know, many of my 90 timeshares were originally acquisitions under the name "Vacation Solutions"which were dumped on Ebay very cheaply. Please do your own research and you will see what the reality is.

sigmundr wrote:

John F.
Dec 12, 2006

john1671 wrote:
And to back my words with deeds (and deeds). I will take any timeshare that someone wants to unload for half the $3500 timeshare relief charges. Please find 100 or so for me, I hate working :)

Very funny John :o), sounds good to me.

I would prefer to GIVE my unwanted timeshare (if I had tried all methods to sell it) to a worthy charity rather than pay Timeshare Relief $3500 to take it off my hands ...... bizarre that some people are so desperate that they will fall for this scam just like some people will fall for the socalled upfront fee resale companies.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Dec 12, 2006 06:03 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.