Wyndham Newport Overlook

Jamestown, Rhode Island

Reviews of Wyndham Newport Overlook

Jamestown, Rhode Island

4.2

Have you been to Wyndham Newport Overlook lately?

By christinew166 Updated Sep 29, 2011

we love it here very quiet we stayed here last summer in the beginning of september unit 16 in the front of course we rented it then this summer we bought week 25 june 18 thru 25 same unit we are so pleased with this unit,but we again rented unit 11 week 34 yet to see from what i gather way different floor plan from what they show on their site and the one we own supposidely master bedroom and living room on the bottom floor should be interesting

By kristinb11 Updated Dec 10, 2007

Newport Overlook is a hidden gem of a resort, in my opinion. In fact, I enjoyed my stay so much that I bought a fixed week on eBay shortly afterwards.

These units are very large -- I was told that the development was originally designed and built as full-time residences, which shows in the design of the homes. My friend and her two kids joined me when I stayed there, and we never felt crowded.

Having a washer & dryer was very convenient, and the kitchen is well equipped. And we really liked having both a patio and a deck along with the BBQ.

We enjoyed using the hot tub with the lovely view of the bay, especially at the end of the day. Most of the activities offered by the resort were located at the nearby Bay Voyage (owned by Wyndham as well), but we didn't participate in them. There appeared to be a nice variety of options offered.

Places I'd recommend to visit on Conanicut Island are Beavertail State Park, Fort Wetherill State Park, and Mackeral Cove Beach. Watson Farm and the historic 200+ year old Jamestown Windmill are also both worth a visit. It's also a great place to ride your bike. Here is a map showing roads that are suitable for biking, including Newport: www.jamestown-ri.info/bikepaths1.gif. Since Conanicut is only 9 miles long by 1 mile wide, it's easy to traverse the island by bike if you're so inclined.

Note about the Pell Bridge -- you can save money by buying a roll of 10 tokens for $10 (half the pay as you go price) and the resort will buy back the tokens you don't use.

A little farther afield, in Middletown (five miles east of Newport), is another great little gem -- the Norman Bird Sanctuary. It offers over seven miles of lovely hiking trails, including one that involves some rock climbing (no equipment required, though) that leads to a place called Hanging Rock, which provides a panoramic view of Sachuest Bay, Gardiner Pond, and the Sakonnet River. I visited it (before my friends arrived) with a small tour group led by a local photographer.

Newport Overlook is a low-key kind of place, and it's perfect for couples and families who want to relax, yet have many dining and activity options available within a short drive. My friend's kids (7 & 12) had some of their favorite times just hanging out on the rocks that line the shore of the bay, in front of the waterfront units. They found crabs and starfish, and we just enjoyed watching the sailboats glide by. They also used the small playground.

I rate this resort an 8. I will definitely return, now that we've bought an interval there for ourselves!

Edited to add comment relating to 2005 review -- cable tv is provided now.

By marilyne2 May 29, 2005

Units have been beautifully done over. Location is beautiful with great views of the Newport shoreline and the lighted Newport Bridge at night. This would be a five star resort if they upgraded their television service. Resort has satellite TV that only gives the viewer 10 or 12 channels. We are great baseball/sports fans and were very surprised that their were no sports channels such as NESN available.

It would be nice if they heated the outdoor pool too. The Newport Overlook Resort is now owned and run by the Fairfield Hotel Resort chain and as such I would have expected a greater TV channel selection as well as a heated pool.

Fairfield has done a great job updating this resort so far; let's hope they take it a step further and get cable TV.

By jbet43 Feb 2, 2005

All units have recently been refurbrished.

By jtamlyn Updated Feb 10, 2003

We spent a week at Newport Overlook in August 2002. We were quite happy with the resort, even though it is only staffed on weekends for checkin/checkout. It is small and quiet. There is a pool and hot tub and there was never a crowd. The units are comfortable and fun (two floors, cathedral ceiling upstairs, deck overlooking Narragansett Bay), though in need of updating.

We are New Englanders and it was nice to vacation near home. Newport has some great attractions with the Cliff Walk and mansions. The best beaches are in Middletown, however (Second and Third Beaches). Beavertail State Park in Jamestown is spectacular.