Reviews of Marriott's Kauai Beach Club

Lihue, Hawaii

4.3

Have you been to Marriott's Kauai Beach Club lately?

By maryw581 Updated Oct 11, 2015

I love this resort! The comfort of a timeshare but the amenities of a hotel!! On site restaurants, spa, gym, concierge, valet parking, and shops. If you want to totally relax you don't even have to rent a car! Only 5 minutes to the airport and they have a free shuttle! We have been going there every year for the past 6 years and have never been disappointed! Best to get an oceanfront room, tho, because you never know when those palm trees will obstruct your view in oceanview rooms! The Marriott is right on Kalapaki Bay is the best for kayaking, paddle boarding and surfing! Great place! Dukes is awesome for lunch and dinner. But the best restaurant is in Poipu called Red Salt. It is a little hard to find, but an amazing dining experience! It is in a boutique resort next to Marriott Waiohi Resort.

By johnr261 Updated Jan 31, 2015

We've been an owner here for 16 years, and love it! We think it's the most gorgeous of the Hawaiian Islands. The only other hotels (In our opinion) in its league are the Hyatt and the one in Princeville where it rains too much, and those are hard to get in to.

Room and pool are just steps from the ocean. The pool, which is the largest in any Hawaiian island, has an island in the middle; we were in awe at the two-story high, marble waterfalls; the three-story high Roman pillars; and three large Jacuzzis. Our kids fed the large koi in the front pond.

We also snorkeled and kayaked and even took windsurfing lessons at their beach. Be sure to watch the nightly Tiki Torch lighting ceremony. Sometimes we ate at the three on-site restaurants, and other times bought steaks or fish and used their numerous BBQ stations.

(If you want to snorkel up north at Turtles, be sure to arrive there by 10:00, to get nearby parking spots.)

Good churches nearby. Hotel is at the most central location for all destination spots.

Two signature ocean view golf courses (great for walks if you're not a golfer).

Lots of brides choose this gorgeous place for their weddings.

Free shuttle service from airport to hotel and ABC Store. But you should rent a car to see the miles of unspoiled beaches; 13 micro-climates, from desert in west, to wettest spot on earth; hike or kayak to waterfalls; drive to Kauai’s “mini Grand Canyon”. Movies like “Jurassic Park” and “South Pacific” were shot on Kauai. Many free coffee-tasting stands.

By mej55 Jan 27, 2015

Awsome. One of the top 3 resorts on the island.

By ss207 Dec 31, 2014

We made our first trip to Hawaii in a long time, and chose this resort due to availability on a timeshare trade. After a relatively small rocky start (self-parking not convenient with luggage and we were newbies; keys initially didn't work for one room [a recurring Marriott issue in my experience]; one phone would not dial out), after a day we fell in love with this resort. So much so that I decided to buy a week there! The location is fantastic, not far from airport and they have a shuttle, although we rented a car. The grounds are spectacular, the pool beyond comparison. We ate at the three restaurants and the food and service was very good. The island is small, and easy to get around, and we were glad to have a car to sightsee and the usual runs to market, drugstore. We had a one bedroom garden room, which at first I was disappointed about, but really, we didn't spend so much time in the room that it was really an issue. The downsides: no full kitchen, although there is a microwave, small refrigerator, sink, and dishwasher, and worked fine for us; also no washer/dryer in unit which we've come to expect with Marriott timeshares, but there are laundry facilities in building and again, this worked fine for us. Take note: this property is a conversion from a hotel (Westin), so our unit was not as spacious as we're used to, but by no means too small or uncomfortable. Our rooms were nicely appointed and comfortable. There is both good souvenir shopping and restaurants within easy walking distance. Supermarket, Costco, Starbucks, Walmart, Jamba Juice, Longs Drugs all a short drive if you need. We are big sports fans, and spent a few afternoons across the street watching our favorite team across the street at a sports bar, Kalapaki Joes. A big plus! We loved the "campus" feel of the resort, which has a hotel too, with everything needed contained there - pool, beach, bars, restaurants, coffee bar, well stocked store, great jewelry store. We couldn't have been happier once we settled in, and look forward to returning next year, and annually for many years to come.

By unitedpilot Updated Dec 26, 2012

The beauty of this property and Kauai are indescribal. as a property ages from last remodel, it needs more atention paid to through cleaning. Eleven year owner.

By kylej17 Mar 8, 2012

This is an exceptional resort. The buildings and grounds are beautifully kept and you really feel like you are in a tropical paradise. The swimming pool and surrounding area is amazing, the pool is shaped like a giant flower with an island in the middle, accessed by a bridge. The Island is planted with palm trees and lots of lounges,. A great restaurant and also a grill hut are both adjacent to the pool.... so convenient. We love, love, love this wonderful resort!

By stever354 Sep 9, 2011

In March 2011 we made our first visit to the resort. Remodeling was completed and everything was operational. Facilities and service were 5 star. We used the resort as a hub for visits to Poi Pu and Hanelei and many days of just relaxing at the resort. The only minor irritation was the beach had not yet been cleaned. Overall, we were very pleased with everything.

By jhanie May 14, 2011

Have stayed at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club 3 times in the last four years. Found that I like it so much, I just purchased a one bedroom oceanfront unit. New 50 million dollar renovation just completed so I can't wait to see it in August 2011.

By andyb86 Feb 14, 2011

Superb property located directly on Kalapaki Bay.

By marief50 Feb 8, 2011

We are owners here and were last at the resort for Spring Break 2008. My husband and I have 3 teenagers and this was their first trip to Kauai. They loved it. Here are some of the things we would recommend you do while at the Marriott Kauai:

1. Attend the Monday morning Island Activity Orientation. When we were there, the speaker was very entertaining, funny and informative. At the end, he raffled off free gift certificates and we won free surf lessons for two. He told us of the best luau, sightseeing tours, and other activities. We took him up on a few of them -- listed here!

2. Surf Lessons! Especially if 2 go for free. We bought our 3rd child the lessons and had a great time watching them all learn to surf. Titus Kinimaka's Hawaiian School of Surfing, on the north shore, in Hanalei. http://www.hawaiianschoolofsurfing.com/

3. Or Stand-up Paddle Surfing. We didn't try it, but we saw a lot of people doing it. I've heard it's becoming more and more popular.

4. Kauai's Only Oceanfront Luau at the Sheraton-Poipu Beach. Not sure if it still is the only oceanfront luau, but it sure was fun. Our teenagers even loved it! The food was great, the show was fun and the location by the ocean was spectacular. http://www.sheraton-kauai.com/pressroom/pressreleases/pr-luau

5. Shave Ice. Not shaved ice, SHAVE ice. Think snow-cone with syrup flavors. A very simple thing, but once we had our first helping we tried them everywhere we went. We tried different flavors each time. Simple fun.

6. Waimea Canyon. The Grand Canyon of Kauai. Breath-taking views of the canyon and rivers. Just gorgeous.

7. Spouting Horn. Waves send water through a blowhole that spits the water out 10+ feet in the air.

8. Duke's Canoe Club Restaurant. Right on the hotel grounds. Great food, cool t-shirts.

9. Wailua Falls. We never made it to the falls, but we heard from others that they are beautiful.

10. Sail the Na Pali Coast. Another trip we did not make, but wanted to. We'll just have to go back again.

We didn't get to a lot of the island activities because we were having fun on the property in the pool or on the beach. There is plenty to do without ever leaving the resort. Have fun!

By theresab31 Updated Aug 31, 2010

We have stayed at the KBC at least a dozen times and keep going back. It's the best kept secret in Hawaii because it's very private. Unlike Maui and Kanapali beach, where you have to share your beach with all the other hotels, the Kauai Beach Club has it's own beach and own little area. You can call the hotel when you arrive at the airport and they will pick you up at no charge. The property is beautiful with the gardens and coi pond. It sports the largest pool in all the Hawaiian Islands with 4 or 5 jacuzzi. The restaurant at the hotel is wonderful and their all you can eat crab legs and prime rib specials are great. "Dukes" restaurant/bar is right next door and you can put the cost of meals on your hotel tab and get Marriott points!!! Dukes has a great restaurant on top with a view of the ocean and the best fish I've every had, and a fun bar below in case you're not in the mood for a full dinner. It's a great place for kids. We've been taking our grandkids for years and hopefully years to come.

By michelles604 Jun 17, 2010

great views, amazing pool, high quality throughout the resort. Don't miss the onsite restaurant, Duke's!

By norma170 Jan 26, 2010

We were just there recently and it is undergoing many renovations. The resort is wonderful and has all the amenities of a hotel. The pool is the best! One the downside, the TS rooms are small and have only partial kitches, and there are no umbrellas at the pool. You can rent a cabana, but there really should be umbrellas available free of charge also.

By orenberg Updated Jun 20, 2009

We have owned at KBC for 11 years and are impressed with the recently completed timeshare villa renovations including new furniture and carpets, draperies and extremely comfortable beds, and a redesigned galley mini-kitchen counter. The views of the beach and bay are unbeatable. Marriott is renovating the Kukui restuarant to be completed by October and will provide beach-side dining at the grill and a sushi bar beach side as well. If you thought the resort was a little dated in the past you will be pleasabtly surprised. The staff as always is friendly and helpful.

By anthonys116 Dec 9, 2008

My Wife and I rented a unit Here in December 2006 over Christmas Week. We ended up renting a 2 bedroom even though it was just the 2 of us.

The room was perfectly clean and had full kitchen. The resort is very niclely placed on the beach and we spent alot of time on the beach and hiking on a lot of trails.

They have a nice resturant where we ate twice and outdoor grills where we also cooked.

Some comments that this was a hotel conversion and I would not have known unless I had read it here.

By timothyoreileenm Sep 2, 2008

On the sand in absolute paradise. Kauai is the most tranquil Island in all of Hawaii, and this resort is a perfect blend !

By cali_girl_xoxo Aug 31, 2008

My dear hubby and I went there this past May (2008), and had a wonderful time. We got this through an exchange of our Maui Marriott timeshare. Since we got a two bedroom, and the layout allows for privacy for two couples, we invited my brother and his wife. That was especially nice since they've been to Kauai multiple times so knew where to go (and all the best shave ice locations!) We had a beautiful end ocean-view unit which also had views of the pool. Going to sleep and waking up with the ocean sounds is amazing! I was NOT ready to come home after a week there!

I was nervous about going here because my boss and his wife had also stayed here the summer before, but apparently in a different section that wasn't converted to timeshares (I may have that information wrong; nonetheless they were decidedly not pleased with their accommodations and didn't sound like what we stayed in) I loved the spacious size of the rooms, the beautiful view, the privacy alloted by having the living area/kitchenette/dining area between the two bedroom suites. The unit was clean, although I realize that it could use some updating it was still entirely pleasant and well kept up. The complaints of the kitchen area not being serviceable were non-issues to me. It had what was necessary and I didn't need a gourmet kitchen to make me happy. Yes, the counters are high-- to accommodate the fridge underneath. One thing I would change is having pocket doors in the bathroom in the bedroom we stayed in --the other side of the unit had a larger bathroom that if i remember right had regular doors. I prefer a bit more privacy than that, particularly since the door didn't exactly shut securely. Having a larger bathroom on the one side with nicer tubs/showers would also be a good improvement-- maybe they'll do that when they re-do the units.

The grounds were so pretty and it was really the quintessential Hawaii to me.. so green and lush! Watching the kids enjoying the Koi feeding was so fun! The pools were wonderful and I loved the multiple jacuzzis with the big columns! It's so pretty! We did quite a bit of exploring on the island and had just a great time. The staff were great and very accommodating, and I loved having the restaurants on site and had wonderful meals there. We also had delicious pizza at Brick Oven Pizza. Yum!

We visited the other Marriott closer to Poipu, and it's also a beautiful property and the rooms are indeed very impressive, but even in May it was so overcrowded in the pool and the beach that I preferred the Kauai Beach Club. It didn't help that the salesperson who showed us the units was snotty, so that didn't set a good tone for me either. (That was also a complaint from my boss about his experience with the Marriott Ko Olina on Oahu-- what is it with these salespeople?)

By the way, my brother has always stayed at the Grand Hyatt there on Kauai, and even HE thought we had great accommodations! In fact I liked it so much that I'm seriously considering buying a timeshare there. Hopefully the price of flights won't continue to go up or they are going to have a lot of problems keeping the tourist trade alive there!

By gmaydew Feb 21, 2008

Stayed here January 27 to February 3, 2008. We had a one bedroom, two bath ocean front unit on the third floor. The view was amazing and we left the door open to hear the ocean every night. The beds were comfortable and the living area had a Murphy bed that was also very comfortable. I understand all the rooms have them now. The room was clean but could be updated. I would remodel the kitchen area as it is pretty none functional. The microwave and sink are small and the counter is too high. If they changed this I would give it a 5 star. The grounds are gorgeous, the ocean is right there, the location is central, and there are lots of places to shop and eat within walking distance. A place called the Beach Hut is on the other side of Dukes. It's kind of a road side stand and they have great cheap breakfast and sandwiches. You can call in your order go pick it up and enjoy on your lanai. I would definitely stay here again. They also have a few BBQ grills by the pool for guests to use.

By kathyw84 Updated Jan 13, 2008

We traded our Grand Ocean Marriott on Hilton Head Island for this resort several times over the past 12 years before finally buying two years ago. We loved it so much we wanted to be able to reserve and confirm an OCEANFRONT unit without waiting for II confirmation.

Obviously, we love it! The grounds are spectacular, the service great, and the views breathtaking. We would prefer a full kitchen, like many of the Marriotts we have stayed in, but we get by with creative ways of using a microwave for our meals, and there are a lot of great restaurants around. Duke's is a must, as well as the pizza place that is in the older looking mall at the top of the hill across the main highway from the Marriott - sorry, can't remember the name, but they serve the pizzas on upside-down gallon cans and the pizza is delicious!

The pool at this resort is the largest pool in Hawaii, and there are always lounge chairs available around the pool.

We love Kauai- we were here in March of 2004, May of 2005, going in March of 2006, and January of 2007.....every month is a great one to be here!

By keithh96 Dec 7, 2007

Top Ten Experiences

1. Discover Na Pali Coast The stunning 17-mile stretch of coastline along the island's northwest edge can be explored on foot, by air or by boat. No matter how you choose to travel, this trip is not to be missed for its views of towering sea cliffs, lush green valleys, cascading waterfalls, mysterious sea caves, playful dolphins and endangered sea turtles. 2. Be awed by Waimea Canyon Dubbed the Grand Canyon of the Pacific by Mark Twain, Waimea is the largest canyon in the Pacific, measuring 10 miles long, 1 mile wide and more than 3,500 feet deep. The many hues of the canyon's walls and the frequent rainbows add to its dramatic impact. There are several viewing points along Waimea Canyon Drive, and Koke'e State Park has 45 miles of hiking trails that run through the canyon area. 3. Explore the Garden Isle by helicopter Expect to be at a loss for words when you view unspoiled South Pacific vistas—some accessible only on foot. Kauai has been a backdrop for many famous movies. 4. Explore Kalapaki Beach Set in a natural harbor surrounded by green hillsides, Kalapaki Beach offers some of the best swimming on the island. The sand is firm, making it ideal for games and running. It's also a excellent place to try windsurfing or surfing, or to rent a kayak or sailboat. 5. See the light and enjoy the view Kilauea Lighthouse is the northernmost point of the main Hawaiian Islands and was built in 1913 to guide ships traveling to and from the Orient. This popular attraction, a National Historic Landmark, offers sweeping views of cliffs and ocean, bird watching, and an informative visitor's center. 6. Snorkel at Poipu Beach Abundant, easy-to-view marine life makes Poipu a great snorkeling beach. Along with colorful tropical fish, you may be lucky enough to spot a green sea turtle, a Hawaiian monk seal or a humpback whale. The best snorkeling spot is around Nukumoi Point on the western edge of the beach. Poipu is also a great place for other water sports, including surfing, windsurfing and boogie boarding. 7. Golf Kauai Lagoons You can choose from two courses at the Kauai Lagoons Golf Club. The Kiele Course was designed by Jack Nicklaus. Here, the great golf experience is further elevated by the scenery— fresh water lagoons, lush groves of exotic foliage and beautiful ocean cliffs. The Mokihana Course is the gentler of the two, with rolling links and open fairways. This course offers views of Mt. Waialeale, the extinct volcano whose eruptions created Kauai. 8. Visit Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge This 200-plus acre preserve is home to migratory seabirds and full-time residents, including the nene goose, Hawaii's state bird. The refuge has an informative visitor's center and offers guided nature hikes. It's also a good place from which to view marine animals, like Hawaiian monk seals, humpback whales and spinner dolphins. 9. Pamper yourself, Hawaiian style Enjoy a variety of tempting spa services on the beach, in your room, or at the Alexander Day Spa. Go Hawaiian with a traditional Lomi Lomi massage, which uses broad, flowing, rhythmic strokes to relax the body and nurture the spirit. Or try Pohaku, the ancient art of hot rock massage for instant relief of sore, tight muscles. Take your pick of body scrubs, from pineapple and papaya to Hawaiian herbs and sea salts. 10. Enjoy Queen's Pond at Polihale State Beach Along the 300-foot wide beach near the Napali Cliffs is Queen's Pond, a small encircled reef area safe for swimming and protected from normal wave action.

By davidw470 Updated Aug 25, 2007

Grounds are our favorite in Hawaii. Activities are supurb: walked every morning to the lighthouse, a perfect place to whale watch; Kayaked in the bay and up the river; surfed; Lounged at the magnificant pool and the beach; participated in some of the nonstop pickup volleyball games, etc. Gorgeous golf course. Resort is 5 minutes from the airport. Rooms are conversions so they do not have all of the amenities of Marriott vacation villas built from scratch. Specifically, you need to take your laundry to a laundry room and the kitchen is missing a stove and a garbage disposal. Travel channel secret: bring an electric skillet. With an electric skillet we completely overcome the kitchen deficiency and prepare the majorty of our meals in the unit.

By hughs12 Jan 28, 2007

We stayed there last Sept. 06. Wonderful. Pool is superb, probably best in Hawaii. Proximity to Dukes, etc., is great. Wonderful staff. Room very comfortable, beautiful views. Can't wait to buy

By davidg194 Jan 20, 2007

Superb grounds, but that's about it. Rooms are small and very, very dated, with very poor lighting. Absolutely no charm. This hotel conversion is in our opinion a failure, unlike Maui where it is much better in terms of rooms and amenities. Rooms do not appear as clean as other Marriott timeshares we have stayed at. Does not seem at all like what many of the other reviews describe.

By thomass132 Jan 4, 2007

Nice property with a great pool, nice staff, good restaurants (courtesy of the integrated Marriott Hotel). As others have said, the pool is a bit cold, but very nice AND big. Very nice beach. Free wired Internet in rooms.

Timeshare rooms are very tired as they are converted hotel rooms. The "kitchenette" is very very modest...hardly usable for anything but toast and orange juice....the microwave is the size of a small shoebox. Studios are being upgraded with Murphy beds. NO in-room washer/dryer.

By ron1031 Dec 16, 2005

Very nice, be warned though, it does rain allot in this area, still worth the hassle of the rain. Also, no kitchen or barbeque area. Amazing pool and the staff makes the trip.

By richard742 Updated Nov 21, 2005

This was our first trip to Kauai. Overall great trip. We had a one bedroom oceanfront suite.

Good points about Marriott’s Kauai beach club – The oceanfront tower is prime location, right up front. Very comfortable beds and pillows. Beautiful grounds. Peaceful, quiet. Big pool. Nice semi protected southern exposure beach. Good beginner surfing spot. Fairly close view of cruise and other ships as they come into port. Close to the airport. Duke’s restaurant is onsite. ABC and a few other stores are within walking distance.

Not so good points – Somewhat showed it’s age. In room kitchen facilities are a little funky. Not as many offsite shops and restaurants within walking distance as someplace like Maui, Kaanapali has. Not a wide open 180 degree view of the ocean. One side of the view is partially industrial looking due to the fact that it’s the islands main port. Water is not crystal clear because of the port.

Great place to relax, We would go back.

By jfquinn Nov 14, 2005

Just returned from first visit to Hawaii and it is hard to believe there could be any better setting or more relaxed atmosphere than at the Kauai Beach Club. Rooms are not typical of Marriott timeshares as they are converted hotel rooms/suites, but are well maintained and plenty of room.

By tim206 May 3, 2005

This is a spectacular resort that is impeccably maintained by Marriott. Kauai is a peaceful and beautiful island that offers fun and relaxation to its guests.

By clive13 Updated Oct 23, 2004

Heaven on earth! This is one of a kind - Hawaii at its very best - was originally built by Westin as an affluent resort then converted by Marriott. This explains why the surroundings and architecture are beyond any other Marriott resort we've seen.

Located in a sheltered bay so swimming and boating are very safe (most Hawaiian beachfron resorts are on open ocean with surf that can get dangerous). Gorgeous beach - super large pool

Just 5 min from the airport (no car necessary if you want a real rest) - secluded but handy to town - walking distance to all amenities - watch the cruise ships come in to Lihue -

Gardens, lobby, architecture are beyond compare. Rooms and facilities first class in every respect. We love it!!

By mikebrad Apr 18, 2004

A place you'll never forget. The beach, restaurants, pool, shops - the entire resort is first class. Well located on one of nature's most beautiful islands, one can enjoy a whole vacation and never leave the resort or easily explore (rent a car) the whole island - either way the Marriott Kaua'i Beach Club is an experience of a lifetime.

By pres1george Oct 2, 2003

We just spent a week here at the beautiful Kauai Marriott. We love this island , so laid back and really restful.

The room was ocean view and we woke up to the sound of the waves hitting the shore and loved it. We opened the doors to let in the ocean breeze even though it is air conditioned.

We all just loved the huge pool and even though the beach is right there, we found ourselves heading to the pool.. The food was great and be sure to have the Prime rib and crab buffet. It is awesome! Worth very penny!

The bed was extremely comfortable. Down pillows are the only way to go!

This resort is first class all the way! And the people there are no only very friendly, but more than helpful in every way!

Don't pass up the chance to stay here!

By dixonr Mar 19, 2003

Truly world class in every way. And to top it off, 2 great golf courses right next door. This just might be a preview of heaven.

By 9amitpatel Mar 2, 2003

little closed and rooms are not very airy. Otherwise superb. Great food and great amenities.

By chipman1 Nov 22, 2002

WOW! We own here.

Fantastic facilities. Marriott is Top Notch!

The island cannot be beat. However, if you are looking for "Night-life" you may want to try another island. Kauai is very quiet.

By traveler Updated Oct 2, 2002

One of most beautiful resorts we have ever stayed at. We own an ocean front condo and love everything about the place - Lounge on beach, in the grass or around the gorgeous pool. When you arrive and look over the terrace to the pool and the beach beyond it will take your breath away. Truly a luxurious fairytale place. There is a tiled walk along the beach the entire width of the property for a moonlight stroll. Dukes in the evening is a great place for dinner, snacks and cocktails. Harrison Ford hangs out here when he is filming.