Palm Canyon Resort and Spa

Palm Springs, California

Timeshare reviews at Palm Canyon Resort and Spa

Palm Springs, California

By stefanief15 Oct 2, 2015

I came here with my husband and our friends and we had a great time. The pool side bar was great! I loved the pool and hot tub. The staff was very helpful and nice.

By lylek9 Jun 14, 2015

Since I noted that some of the reviews on this site were very old I thought I'd put my two cents worth in.

First and foremost, the resort has changed hands and is now operated by Diamond Resorts International.

At the time of my last stay in May 2014, Diamond had started renovations on the resort, which had suffered from less than acceptable maintenance during Monarch's last years of ownership. Just what had been completed to that point was very nice, so I expect now that another year has passed for the units to be in much better shape.

As for our actual experiences, we've always found the beds to be pretty comfortable and we've enjoyed the pool and particularly Splash, the poolside bar. The bartenders have always been fun and professional and it is a very relaxing place to spend time.

We'll be staying there again in a couple of months; I'll update what I see at that time.

By gaild Updated Jan 21, 2012

I have gone to this resort many times. I have also stayed at many others. Palm Canyon has the largest units. The units are like a full size apartments. Very nice. All rooms have balcony's. I always ask to have a unit that has it balcony facing the mountains. There 4 buildings to pick from. You can check out a room if you don't like it they will get you another room. I have stayed there all seasons but not on a holiday weekend. I have stayed for 3 nights up to 7 nights. I have never experienced the pool area to be overly crowded but it is the main attraction. The pool area is approx. an acre and a half. There are 2 spas, 2 slides, a pool side bar and a pool side restaurant. There is no smoking in the units. Palm Canyon has never allowed smoking or bbq's. I love the peacefulness and serenity on the mountain sides. Some of my get a way's have been to just get out of town and relax. Palm Canyon is at the end of the Palm Canyon Drive. It has very quiet, relaxing surroundings but it is still close to downtown Palm Springs. Some times I come to play. There are so many things to do in that area. I and my family have used it as a launch to explore many of the attractions such as Joshua Tree National Park, the Salton Sea, we found boiling pots and steam vents south of Palm Springs. We found an area where farmers grow vegetation for the migrating birds and there are platforms that you can go up on and view migrating birds in the fields. It is such a cool place, excellent shopping, dining, golfing, gambling. Don't miss the Cabazon Outlet mall just North of Palm Springs. All the best retailers have stores there. You can spend a day or more trying to get to all the shops. It is all there! I love to stay at Palm Canyon. I can't wait to get there again! I can honestly say that I like Palm Canyon the best of any resort I have stayed at. I have been in time shares all over the USA and even BC, Canada.

By smartchoice Updated Sep 23, 2011
    By juliak32 Jul 13, 2010

Me and my 6 y.o daughter spent 3 nights at Palm Canyon Resort and spa over Memorial day weekend 2010. Yes, rooms are outdated and furniture is old, but that’s OK with me. What I was bothered by is the old smell of smoke in our 2 bdr villa. Apparently, they used to allow smoke inside, and that smell is still there. You get used to it when you’re inside after 10 mins or so, but when you walk in, it’s like… yuck! Plus, yes, it is a smoker’s paradise – you can smoke on the balcony and pretty much everywhere around the pool. It says that designated smoking area is by the Splash bar, but I saw people smoking everywhere. I used to be smoker myself, but since I quit 7 years ago, I just cannot stand the smell of smoke at all.

We stayed at Canyon building on the 3rd floor facing the main lobby entrance. I thought it would be better than facing the pool, and I was right. Pool was so crowded all the time, it was unbelievable. I’ve seen overcrowded pools in Vegas, but I guess, maybe I was younger and more tolerant to the crowd… right now it’s just irritating. Plus, it was impossible to find a long chair if you come to the pool after 9 am. So, you either have to come at 9 am sharp, when they open, get your towels, put them on the chairs and return to you room for shower, tooth brushing, breakfast, etc., or show up at the pool after 4 pm. It was very annoying. It's strange that staff can’t put more chairs around the pool knowing how many guests will be staying. There was plenty of room for extra chairs… Also, there were very limited amount of umbrellas, and with Palm Springs heat (around 100 F), everybody, of course, wanted to stay in the shade. Needless to say, that chairs in the shade were first to be taken. I saw some people bringing their own beach umbrellas – very smart, but I really don’t want to carry heavy stuff when I go to the pool… long chair, beach umbrella, towels (they give you only one towel, period… obviously, it’s not enough)… Water slides were nice, and my daughter had a blast. Splash bar was nice too. Even though they were surrounded by double layers of guest standing/smoking around, they were able to take our orders quick and they were ready usually in 10 mins or so. Food was good and well priced. They have healthy choices.

I expected noise level to be lower at night. But being a light sleeper, I still could hear very loud clanking or dragging noises outside in the early morning (6 am), and running and yelling kids inside in the hallway at night, even though both bedrooms were buffered by bathrooms from the hallway…

I don’t know, I guess, this resort is not so crowded during regular weekends in summer, but I wouldn’t go there again on a holiday weekend. And the heat was too much for me. I know it has nothing to do with the resort, but it was almost impossible to go somewhere else in the desert, like Living Desert Zoo or even down town. We managed to go to world’s largest dinosaurs museum, and had lots of fun, but that day it wasn’t so hot. I think we’ll try some other place next time if we’ll decide to go to Palm Springs again.

By judyb191 Nov 28, 2008

Our stay at Palm Canyon was wonderful!

Staff very accomodating, pool was heaven! Don't forget the chair massage at the pool... it's relaxng and he knows all the right tension spots.

We'd visit again.

By pblumenf Jan 26, 2008

Great Resort and good location. Rooms are very nice and the pool and water slide are great for kids of any age. Great place to vacation.

By stevep141 Nov 23, 2007

My wife and I visited this resort for the first time after buying a timeshare sight unseen. We are very pleased. The one bedroom unit was very large and very quiet. The rooms are well appointed and appear to be recently upgraded (one building is currently closed for rennovations). There is a big pool with waterfall, waterslides, and 2 nice jacuzzi. It is located in a quiet part of Palm Springs convenient to golf, hiking, and shopping downtown. There is no tennis court, the only negative I can think of. We look forward to returning.

By orvillef2 Updated Oct 31, 2007

We were very nervous about coming here after seeing mixed reviews, however, we were pleasantly suprised. It is not fancy, but it seems that it has the best pool for kids in palm springs.

We got a 2-bdrm,2bth, which was large and comfortable. There were plenty of lounges, the food was good. The full kitchen was convenient and the salt,pepper,dishwasher with det. as well as new sponge and soap, even paper towels were all nice. The resort is conveniently located and the staff seemed very nice to us. The drinks were great.

It may need to be updated, however it is clean and they have shut down one of the buildings as they have begun updating already.

It is hard to compare this resort because it is not as nice as our granite/stainless/fancy other resort and not as nice as a newer Marriott hotel, but after being here a short time we realize that it is actually more comfortable and they seem to provide more than most places.

Expect, clean, roomy and comfortable as well as great fun for kids if you bring them, we didn't bring any but still had fun. We will definately be back, in fact we are planning to be back in April.

By wendy103 Apr 9, 2007

Great resort for families. Water slides are a big hit. They also have daily activities for the kids....water balloon toss, hula hoop contest, bingo, etc. I liked the root beer floats for $2! Our unit was not luxurious but was nice. The bed was comfortable. Plenty of towels. The front desk service was friendly but slow. The resort seemed well managed.

We usually stay at the Westin but I waited too long to make reservations. I got a spot at Palm Canyon a month prior for Spring Break week via the "Sales Promotion" (had to sit through a timeshare presentation...not a hard sell and they kept their word and got us out of there in 90 minutes....155 points were offered for $12,999....can do much better resale if you want to buy)

Definitely was a different crowd from the Westin folks but people were nice. Splash's bar had Westin prices but the large pepperoni pizza was worth the $18. It was delicious!!! The fitness center was crowded and hot. They really need to improve the air flow in there. Overall, we enjoyed the resort.

By paul1730 Updated Apr 9, 2007

I posted the review in 2005 when MacyP said he had been at Palm Canyon. Now he has a new review and says he was here in 2006. By the way he saying the same thing he said in 2005. Macy if you dislike Palm Canyon so bad why do you say you are coming back every year and rating it with the same negative rating. I think he is just trying to scare people away from Palm Canyon. It is a wonderful place to stay and even though the summers are extremely hot the flowers and plants always look new and fresh. The rooms are very fresh smelling and clean.

I have stayed in most rooms at Palm Canyon. The best rooms are the 2 bedroom condo's that look towards the canyons and mountains on the 2nd & 3rd floors.

It is the most peaceful & quiet place outside the pool area, that is. The stars are amazing to look at when you walk across the street and get out of the lit areas. The pool area is excellent for children and adults. Breakfast by the pool is a treat!

Most 2 bedroom units have 2 bathrooms. The corner 2 bedroom units only have 1 bathroom but it has a Jacuzzi bathtub. We like that one for the Jacuzzi tub.

Most units are large, comfortable, light and give you a feeling of wide open space that connects with the outdoors. There are large sliding glass doors and balconies attached to the living rooms and some master bedrooms.

The kitchens are full size kitchens with a dining room in its own area. Most units are like being in a condo that you could live in year around except that you are in this beautiful, peaceful setting!

There are no lock offs so the units are large unless you order a Jr. suite. Jr. suites are like a hotel room with a kitchenette. Their draw back is that they are small units and over the entrance to the underground parking. It can be loud with guest blaring their music as they drive in to park.

Palm Canyon will try to give you the unit you request just get their early like 1:00pm or 2:00pm if not earlier because it is first come first served. The best units go fast! You might get there and the room may not be ready but you will still get the better unit if you arrive way before check in time.

By macyp Updated Aug 2, 2006

This resort is a dump. They apparantly don't have a landscaping department. The plants in front of the resort are in desparate need of water. The rooms have a terrible odor. I was there in July 2006. I stayed for an hour and a half. Long enough to check in and check out. I was offered two different rooms. The were dirty, smelly and old. The coffee tables were rusting. There was debris in the garage and the elevators smelled like urine. Stay away, stay far away!

By l337 Feb 13, 2006

Great facility for families - great pool and activities. The resort is large so there is plenty to do and Palm Springs is beautiful, if you go, definitely do the Tramway. The rooms are huge (our MBr was about 18 x 16, huge!), the beds are some of the most comfortable I've ever had at a timeshare. The staff was very friendly. The indoor volleyball court was so much fun and my kids couldn't get enough of the rock slide at the pool. We will be back year after year!

By lauren187 May 19, 2005

We have been here three times now, and enjoyed it more each visit.

The pools are great, the kids would spend all day every day on the waterslides.

The other amenities are nice also, underground parking, pool tables, spas, table tennis, etc.

Palm Springs sight seeing and restaurants are wonderful.

I fully recommend this to anyone, with or without children, this is a marvelous resort.

By lindajoyceann Oct 14, 2004

We really enjoyed our 2 bedroom condo, even though it only had one bath. The only disappointment for our guest was there wasn't a television in the second bedroom. The unit was clean, but we had a view of the building next door. The pool area was quite nice and the food was good. There are no activities by the pool, but it would have been fun to have some games. The location was great, with a very nice surrounding neighborhood. I would recommend this to anyone and would return myself.

By jip0890 Updated Apr 23, 2004

Beautiful rooms, well appointed, up to date furniture. New repairs are being done all the time. Beautiful swimming pool and places for small children to swim.

And, if you are a golfer, this is a paradise. Very close to many golf courses.

Could stay at this property on a full time basis if the price was right!

By gregw42 Updated Apr 6, 2004

The resort staff were very friendly and responded within 10 minutes to change a burnt out light bulb.

The resort itself was kept extremely clean with a power vaccuum cleaning of the walkways each evening and the chairs all neatly arranged and towels picked up several times a day. One afternoon a child was sick in the smaller pool and it was immediately roped off, drained, cleaned and refilled by the next morning.

The large unit was clean, well kept up and the furnishings were fine.

The written description was accurate.

There were 2 pools, the larger one was mainly for adults and the second smaller pool had the water slides and was used by the children with a life guard on duty. The pool bar and grill was well staffed and the food and drink was reasonably priced and quite good. There were pool tables, table tennis, foozball and games available for all with activities for the children along with a sand box for the very young. There was a health club and a pay laundry. The resort was very family friendly with many activities set up for the children.

The nearby area has lots to do such as tennis, golf, miniature golf, museums, theatre, horse back riding and sight seeing galore! The resort itself is set along side the mountains which offer a beautiful view. If you stay here be sure and take in the Thursday night Village Fest on Palm Canyon Drive and also attend the College of the Desert's Saturday and Sunday flea markets.

Although there seemed to be a large timeshare sales force, we were not approached. They seemed to be there for the casual renter not any owners.

Mid week towel and linen exchange and a cleaning were excellent.

We'd stay here again and would heartly recommend the resort to others.

By sahel Nov 22, 2003

The units are very well equipped. It would be no problem to live here full time. We found their safety rules to be a liitle extreme - can only use the (small) waterslides with a lifeguard present to direct traffic, for example - but maybe they've had problems in the past? The poolside restaurant served excellent quality light lunches and snacks. The pool would be greatly improved if it were a few degrees warmer - no wonder so many people there use floating lounges! More umbrellas would also be appreciated. It seems you have a choice of frying in the direct sun or freezing in the pool. However the resort is in a lovely quiet location with a marvellous view of the mountains. We would not object to staying there again!

By rlk8509 Oct 31, 2003

Beautiful resort with fantastic scenery!!!

By lassie Oct 27, 2003

My kids love the pool and can't beat the area! I'm an owner and we enjoy day use there all year round, the weather is always pool weather here!

By annedenbow Updated Oct 2, 2003

The rooms are comfortable and the furniture is constantly updated. Villas are large and have well appointed kitchens. Most, if not all, villas have a large balcony and indoor parking.

Beautiful resort grounds, well managed & clean. Huge pool with a great water slide and jacuzzi.

This is a great location. Especially during annual National tennis games and Bob Hope golf tournaments.

By maggie Updated Oct 2, 2002

Pool is great. Well-maintained facility. Good golfing near-by.