Royal Palm Beach Resort

Simpson Bay, Sint Maarten & Saint Martin

Reviews of Royal Palm Beach Resort

Simpson Bay, Sint Maarten & Saint Martin

4.0

Have you been to Royal Palm Beach Resort lately?

By seano30 Jan 19, 2015

When my father in law purchased timeshares on Sint Maarten 30 years ago he could have gone anywhere he wanted to go but he kept going back to the same place over and over: I asked him why. He said I was young, I should travel, see the world and when I found my paradise I should go back over and over. I was surprised by that statement. Then he invited us to go with them. My father in law was a very smart man!

Of all of the choices on the island, I firmly believe that this is the best. Located in Simpson bay , it seems to be in the middle of everything, yet it still has a resort feeling: you could never leave the place for your entire vacation and you would still brag about your stay on the island. Get up whenever: stroll down to the beachside breakfast when you feel like it. I like to sit and read while the breeze stirs the curtains on the bistro overlooking the sailboats. BUT you have to leave: there are at least 8 restaurants right across the street, the movie theater plays first run movies is just a short walk and is right next to a casino. We always rent a car because the kids insist on hitting each and every beach, and orient twice. (you need to see that place to believe it!) With the car we can shoot over to the french fish market on Wednesday morning and purchase fresh off the boat Lobsters, slip back to the unit and get the water boiling... ahhhhh the benefits of timeshare!!!

I tell people that the staying on the Dutch side of the Island is best because the scale is very American: 110 volts, bathrooms that are big enough to enjoy the shower, the windows frame the view, but ingeniously they disappear to open the unit up like there is nothing between you and the next island over on the horizon. I also tell people that the drive to the French side is like changing Universes, not just stepping over an imaginary line in the road. The best complement that I can give the french side is that the food is FANTASTIC and an out of this world experience!

I am sad that with my oldest son away at college and my youngest in high school we can not coordinate a trip this year! I am despondent!

(all the usual stuff applies: clean, friendly, well maintained etc etc etc!)

By kellyk192 May 26, 2014

As an owner at this resort for the last 8 years, I have seen many positive changes over the last 2 years. Everything has been upgraded, from the furniture and appliances. Laundry facilities are now free and there is Wifi access in all units. They have no sales office on the resort any longer, so you can go and not have to worry about being bothered by their sales team. Big Plus in our book, as we have several timeshares and this is the only one where we can go and literally relax from the minutes we get there. Management has changed and I am impressed with the changes in staff. Mind you, they still work on "island time" but everyone has always been the utmost gracious and accomodating.

By cindy1279 Mar 30, 2013

Every Christmas we head to sxm and stay for 5/6 weeks. we now think of st maarten as our second home. the staff is always so happy to see us, Very helpful . the units were redone a few yrs back, but you can see where they are in need of refurbishing again, but compared to other caribe islands we have been to for the value, a 2 bedroom ground floor and right out your slider you are on the sand. very convein to shelling and walking the beach. there are grills scattered throughout the property which makes it nice to just chill and bbg . the beds are comfortable and clean, and i cant say enough about the housekeeping staff, always around to get you anything you might need. we are always so sad to say goodbye, till next yr and cannot wait for december to roll around. we have made some wonderful friends at royal palms and keep in touch throughout the yr. the pool is small but clean, but the beautiful ocean is what you should be there for. close to resturaunts and grocery stores, the mega yaughts are amazing and i often wonder what these people do to own these? fun to watch them coming in and out right outside your villa. enjoy your stay, you wont be disappointed.

By rj67 Oct 24, 2012

THE BEST LOCATION IN SXM, GREAT VIEWS, NEAR RESTAURANTS, GROCERY, RESTAURANT ON SITE, FRIENDLY STAFF. JUST ENJOY THE RESORT, WEATHER IS ALWAYS GOOD. TWENTY YEARS OF GOOD VISITS WITH OUR T. SHARE.

By eggerts Updated May 9, 2012

We are here as I write this review..it's good..not great..I don't find the people as warm as other places we have stayed..the resort is 20ys old..but feels a bit older due to up keep..the room location we are renting is fantastic..ocean front..lower level..if you are gonna stay book here for sure..very convenient. The pool is very small and not a lot of beach to walk on..water is clear in places and not so clear in others..Bahamas is much cleaner..I prefer to stay on a larger beach..beach front where I can walk in the evening. The stray dogs are bumming me out..I have been feeding them every chance I get..sad! We may return in a few years but no hurry to return any time soon...over all great, relaxing vacation and worth maybe $1000.00 for a 2/2 ocean front..low level...shopping downtown was fun..don't take the vacation club tour..waste of time..beautiful jewelry..diamond prices seem very good...no tax and they look very high quality..beautiful tanzanite and blue and chocolate diamonds..but a little high in price I think...You will really need to negotiate...

By andym28 Mar 6, 2012

It's an OK resort but a word of caution, don't buy a timeshare anywhere in St Martin. Rent or Exchange in. BTW as far as my review is concerned, it's accurate but they didn't ask all of the questions that they should have.

First thing to understand are that Timeshare Owners own nothing, your status is that of a long term lessee (a tenant), look at the contract. The owner of the resort (usually a numbered company) owns the land, buildings and is recognized by the government. Timeshare "Owners" have No legal rights to speak of, no voting rights on resort issues, no right to audit books. The real owners also take pains to not let other tenants network and organize, supply a members section on their web site etc.

We have an 80 year lease for 1week at the Belair Beach, previously we had one with the Flamingo which at the time was associated with the Royal Palm, we are sent a newsletter once a year, it's most important function is to present a list of expenses (unsupported by any detail) which they claim justifies their ridiculous maintenance fees. We bought in 1995 with a yearly fee of $305.00, today it has risen to $932.00 (add the $50 tax to it and your near a cool $1,000), an average yearly increase of 8.5% compounded. It's actually higher if I included the occasional special assessment. They charge those fees because they can get them (you have no recourse) and also they inhibit your ability to sell (they claim they have resale programs but they are typically shams) Consequently, as maintenance has climbed, purchase value of the week has dropped (it's an inverse relationship). The week we bought for $14,000 in 1995, I can get for $1,200 - $2,000 from a number of sources, people who own a mid-summer week are at $500 - $1,000. So your left with a decision, pay this years maintenance or walk and start taking advantage of deals around the world. Every time I'm called an owner at the resort, I get annoyed.

By cindyw238 Feb 24, 2012

This Resort OVERBOOKS their rooms. We reserved a week there and when we arrived we were told they had overbooked and there was no room available. They sent us to the next town (remote) and we stayed a week in a bay view. NOT oceanfront. Very POOR management and the staff was NOT helpful AT ALL

By nataliel30 May 5, 2010

This was my second time staying at this property and it was better than I remember from 4 years ago. Everything was wonderful, the facilities, location, friendliness of staff and hotel conveniences in timeshare environment was a perfect combination. My only "very small" issue is the lack of internet access in the units. Going down to the lobby for access wasn't cumbersome but did steer you towards "disconnecting" which is what one probably should do while vacationing.

By louisf11 Updated Jan 9, 2009

I am an owner at Royal Palm. This is the best timeshare in Simpson Bay. Easy walk to restaurants, bars, casino's. The entrance waterway to the lagoon is right next the the property. i watched 10 - 20 million dollar 150 foot yachts being escorted by dingy into their moorings. i sat out on the rocks and watched the sun set over Saba Island. I ate a 2.5lbs lobster across the street at Lee's. I drank way to much across the street at The Lady C.

This place brings me warm memories each and every time i visit.

Miss all my Island friends

By peggys83 Dec 7, 2008

We spent 3 weeks at the Royal Palm in November 2008. While they were still cleaning up from Hurricane Omar, the pool had already been reopened just 5 days after. Royal Palm Beach is a beautiful resort with views from nearly every unit. Almost all of the units are 2 bedroom, 2 bath, with king sized beds in each room. As the last posts have mentioned, the units have been recently refurbished, the latest addition being 5 star bedding, pillow-topped mattresses and wonderful sheets. The units are comfortable, clean, and have everything you could ask for. Besides the balcony, the living room windows open up all the way across, so you may open up the unit and feel the beautiful Caribbean Breeze.

At this time, both elevators are being replaced. There is a pay wi-fi service available that you can get in your room. We have stayed here several times before, and found the staff this trip to be friendlier and more helpful than ever. The resort manager, Marcel, has been here many years and takes very good care of the place. We rented a car from Mickey at Tropical Car Rentals - just $120 for the week and he meets you at the airport -very easy. You need a car to get to the best beaches, however if you just want to relax by the pool and the beach at Royal Palm, a car isn't necessary. There are many good restaurants and small markets within walking distance.

We have toured many of the timeshare units on St. Maarten. Royal Palm is by far the nicest with the best views, much better than the Atrium next door which is in need of renovation and has units that are non-ocean view, so you wouldn't know what you're going to get.

By jeffn45 Updated Nov 26, 2008

We stayed at the Royal Palm Beach Club for the first week in October, 2007. We had a very large two bedroom unit that is totally remodeled with granite countertops, all new appliances and furniture. The unit also has a beautiful view of the ocean.

Very good location if you want to walk to restaurants, clubs and casinos. If you are looking for a serene vacation in a less populated part of the island, you might want to go to the French side.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We had a great vacation and will return to the Royal Palm Beach club soon.

By margery2 Updated Mar 27, 2008

Had a wonderful week there in March with perfect weather We enjoyed a sunset cruise on a catamaran - they picked us up at the dock at the Royal Palm Beach Resort since we didn't rent a car. There are so many choices for restaurants within walking distance - the one on site was so convenient and good food. There is a free shuttle to the sister resort on the point at the other end of Simpson Bay and we certainly enjoyed their larger pool with views of the sea and the smaller beach. There are daily water taxis to Marigot and we rented a car on site so we could explore the rest of the island and some of the beautiful beaches.

I loved the new furnishings and updates since I was last there 4 years ago- the drapes, sofas, comfortable king sized bed in the spacious 1 bed room unit were in good taste. The gym needs some updating and the ocean side of the building needs repainting which I believe are planned in the next year or so. The staff were helpful and friendly.

Watching the sunsets from our quiet balcony overlooking the pool and the sea was one of our favorite pastimes.

By jonathanc12 Updated Aug 18, 2007

We stayed at the Royal Palm Beach Club in mid-August. Our two bedroom was spacious – with a king size bed in each bedroom, and a pull out sleeper sofa in the living area. The view from our unit was beautiful - the remodeling has been done nicely.

The location is very convenient with good restaurants within walking distance. The prices were not even that bad considering those elsewhere in the Caribbean. You will want a car to explore the island and its 37 beaches. Recommend that you consider taking a taxi from the airport and rent a car from the Hertz rental on-site. (If you are willing to sit through a timeshare presentation, they will give you a voucher for $100 off the car rental.)

The island is above all extremely relaxing and a great place to visit. Generally the islanders were very pleasant and helpful but keep in mind – everything on the island is about relaxation (everything happens slowly).

We would return to the Royal Palm Beach Club in a minute - beautiful views from every room – the weather is always nice - and there is so much to do on the island, and surrounding islands. One week is not enough time to enjoy everything that St. Maarten/St Martin has to offer. We found many families who return there every year – usually for more than one week.

Don’t miss the Monday night Manager’s Party – free food and drinks – get there early!

By patricia1537 Aug 15, 2007

We stayed at Royal Palm Beach Club the week before Easter. We found the remodeling to be quite impressive. Kitchen and bathrooms were completely redone with granite counters and upgraded appliances. Resort location is fabulous with each unit having an Ocean view. You actually awaken to the sound of the surf! Although the food at the Ocean front restaurant could be better, the location and setting are unbeatable. We can not wait to return.

By ditty63 Updated Jul 10, 2007

Just returned 7/7/07 While most rooms have been reburbished our two had not been. We had roaches crawling around day and night. Furniture and appliances were very old and not working properly. If you do go here do not go in room 111 or 112 until they are refurbished! We loved St Martin! Don't park in town in no parking areas which are blue and red signs (Don't say no parking) they WILL TOW you away!

By debgalvano Apr 19, 2007

Just returned from Easter week at the resort. Location is great and convenient to many restaurants. Food was expensive at the restaurants and grocery but that is common in the Caribbean area. At least there were many choices and most restaurants were good.

It was extremely relaxing and the island was a lot of fun to visit. Generally the islanders were very pleasant and helpful. Did not find the staff at the resort went out of their way to help though.

Units and furnishings were average and I expected better quality in the linens and towels.

We would return because the views are fantastic weather is nice and there is plenty to do

By dianet76 Apr 19, 2007

Beautiful views from every room and good location.

By mt31 Feb 1, 2007

We were there October 2006, right before high season. Great time to go! We had a recently renovated 2 bedroom and it was fantastic! The views overlooking the beach and ocean, the way the window wall in the living room opens, you feel like you are sitting right on the water. Yes, the pool is small, but the beaches are so beautiful - thats where you should be. We found the people at Royal Palms freindly. The restaurant is there for convenience only. There are so many great places to eat within walking distance there is really no reason to eat there anyway. We liked the fact that there are no waves in the cove outside the resort - you can just float all day on your raft!

By christine481 Jan 4, 2007

Just returned from a week at Royal Palm.... The Resort is kind of run-down. The photos on the site are very misleading. The construction is ols and needing a facelift. However, the 1 bedroom units are huge and so spacious. The beds are very comfortable and the kitchen had all new appliances. The staff is very unfriendly and will not go out of there way to help with anything. The resort in a GREAT location but the "beach" on the resort is awful, too rocky to go in barefoot and no waves. There are plenty of beautiful beaches on the island, to make up for it. The pool is small and full of children every day... kind of annoying. The restaurant on the ground is a joke... it literally takes ad hour for them to bring you your food (and it's not very good). The gym is seriously needing a renovation; machines are old and most are broken.

The island is awesome, so much to do and such great restaurants. Overall, the week was terrific, but all in all, I was definitly disappointed with the Royal Palm and will look for a different resort if I ever visit St. Marteen again.

By juliem75 May 8, 2006

We just stayed here in April. We had a wonderful time! We had a 2 bedroom and the rooms were plenty big enough for 4 of us. We didn't do any cooking in the unit, but we could have if we wanted to.

This was my husband and my first experience with time share and we are now looking to buy! We loved St. Maarten/St. Martin and can't wait to go back.

By anne524 Updated Nov 19, 2005

My husband & I went here in October 05. Nice time to go as it's in the quiet season and you can move around by car to the many beaches and restaurants comfortably. (Plus car rental was cheap - $25/day).

The resort is being rennovated (lobby and a few rooms at a clip) and the development co. seems to be doing it right (granite countertops etc). We had a 1 BR which was incredibly spacious given my past experience. In fact the common areas (kitchen/lr) were larger than the 2 BR we toured.

It sits on (what we were told by frequent visitors to SM) on the nicest beach of Simpson Bay, but the dutch beaches don't hold a candle to the French side. If you've never been before, don't miss out on Orient Beach cove - FABULOUS. Closer to the Royal palm is Mullet Bay, small and quiet but also a beautiful beach.

The RP is sister to the Pelican across the bay, which we also toured. Phase II was newer and overall there was more activity in that resort as it's located among several other TS buildings and has a casino nearby/attached.

Whether you're renting or swapping, this place gets good marks for me (only the Marriot resorts rank 5's in my book) - only downside is it's a bit older (build in the 80's?) and the Restaurant was adequette, but nothing to brag about. Of course, if you're a frequenter of the Carribean, I don't think you can do better than St. Maartin (maybe Aruba competes) That said, I preferred the french side of the isle overall.

Enjoy your stay!

By triciad3 Updated Jun 14, 2005

Great resort. Well maintained, clean. Been going there for over ten years and have traveled since 1973 to quite a few places in the Caribbean. This is our favorite. Within walking distance to many wonderful restaurants. Cyber cafe on site (very important for me anyways). Great sunsets can be seen from the patio. Like the pool because you don't have to get out of the pool to get a drink or order food. Stools right in the pool so you can sit at bar. I'm not much of a drinker, but I like this feature. Will definitely go back there again and again. Wonderful beaches. Beach at Royal Palm pretty nice. Find that to be the case at most of the resorts.

By pegshafer Updated May 15, 2004

We have stayed at this resort now 4 times and fall in love with it more each stay.

All units have oceanview - spacious layout. St. Maarten has many great restaurants and some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. One of our favorite restaurants is The Boat House, walking distance from the resort. Try the Coconut Shrimp and the Crab Stuffed Mushrooms! If you are adventurous, stop at Johnny B's under the Tree for take-out Ribs, Chicken, or Lobster on the Grill.

Great scuba diving and snorkeling, too. While the beach in front of the resort is cloudy somedays and clear others, depending on conditions in the bay, take advantage of the clear days for some great snorkeling. Stay along the rocks and continue around the edge that leads to the drawbridge (watch for boat traffic!) - You will see many colorful tropical fish. We also saw a large baracuda!

We recommend renting a car for at least part of your stay. This is the easiest way to get to beautiful beaches like Mullet Bay and Orient Beach. All in all, if you can't go wrong with this resort! The last reviewer must have hit a bad day because the manager's cocktail party we went to was great..

By katlynne26 Jul 9, 2003

We traveled as a single person with a couple. The two-bedroom unit was spacious and well- appointed for this type of travel.

The views from the rooms and the proximity to the beach were excellent. We also enjoyed the swim-up bar in the swimming pool.

There is a mini-grocery on site, but be aware that the kitchen is equipped with dishes and cookware only, and the restaurant would not lend us salt or pepper (which is expensive, as are all groceries on the island.)

Big tip: Duty-free shopping in Phillipsburg is the best. Prices on goods are often half of what they are on the French side of the island. Most merchants will negotiate with you - but NOT if they think you are with a cruise ship. We verified that prices were often raised when the major cruise ships docked in port.

We got a good price for a (tiny) rental car at the resort - but we made the mistake of leaving a bag with beachwear in the hatchback of the locked car on the main street in downtown. The car was broken into and the bags stolen. These are sardine-can cars, so thieves need only bend the frame to open the car.

We had been warned about thieves, so we didn't lose anything too valuable. The beachware that was not inside a bag was left alone, so if you do need to leave something in your car, don't put it in a bag or other package that may tempt a thief to think it's more valuable.

The resort beach was nice for dipping, but not too clear for snorkeling or great for swimming - you will find better on the island. On the French side, the women often go topless, and there is a nude beach and resort there too if that's of interest (no cameras allowed.)

Across from the resort, you must try the Floating Bar. It's an actual boat, international and friendly, with lots of locals (and their dogs), cheap beer ($1-$2) and a handsome American bartender as part of the ambience.

Enjoy your stay here. We did some surface comparisons to other places to stay, and this one looked to be the best value with some of the best amenities.

By c553 May 25, 2003

Sint Maarteen (Dutch side) and St Martin (French side) on one island. Lots to do, lots to see. It's why it's #1 in Caribbean with Aruba. More here. Great beaches, great restaurants.

Get a car through Hertz at resort (not 800#) for less. You will need a car. All are dinged, so note dings on rental docs before driving away. You will drive through areas of poverty, but entire island very safe. You feel comfortable quickly. Do not, however, leave anything in your car.

Units all have balconies off LR (shared off MBR) facing the boat-lined harbor and the ocean. Great views. Very relaxing. Most are 2BR and 2 baths. You want to stay on the Dutch side and eat on the French side nearby. Gourmet food all over the place.

Golf trashed by storms years ago, but cheap and playable if you adjust your standards. Haggle for rates of second rounds on other days. Rent clubs, don't bring your own.

All ages enjoy RPB. Safe, central, and spacious. Not fancy, not a Marriott, but very OK for your week on the best island.

By cappywoman Mar 18, 2003

I loved this resort but not a good swimming beach. SXM has LOTS of great beaches so we tried 5 of them. I also would have liked a bathtub not 2 showers.

By belair Updated Mar 1, 2003

Located on a main road with easy access to transportation, this resort is loaded with the many comforts essential to one's practical enjoyment of a vacation. Without having to rent a car, a movie theatre is almost next door to the resort. A health club is also located on-site and is free to resort guests. There is an internet center on the premises as well as a beauty shop and grocery store.

By jlight Dec 30, 2002

A very nice resort. The bedrooms were large and the living room was quite spacious. The decor is ultra-modern. Be ready for lots of mirrors!

The pool is nice. Not huge like the ones you will find at resorts in Mexico - but sufficient for the patronage.

The beach is mediocre. We rarely swam at the resort. Other beaches on the island are magnificent and should be enjoyed by all visitors.

The resort location is excellent. You are within walking distance to lots of great places to eat.

Fairly easy drive to the French side for swimming and dining.

Skip the Manager's cocktail party. The worst food and drink I've EVER had.