Hotel on the Cay

Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)

Reviews of Hotel on the Cay

Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)

3.1

Have you been to Hotel on the Cay lately?

By mickieh2 Updated Nov 27, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel on the Cay in January, 2013, in one of the hotel units. To me, this is a case of the good, the bad (or at least not-so-good) and the ugly, but mostly the good.

First the good: Our room had a view to die for. It looked out over the harbor and wharf and had fantastic sunsets! The tiny beach was lovely, and the pool location overlooking the harbor was spectacular. The staff was conscientious and accommodating. I enjoyed the small hotel restaurant down by the beach and wondered why it is not open for dinner on a regular basis. The water taxi was convenient, and we rarely had to wait more than a few minutes for it. The cost was very reasonable.

Now the not-so-good: We (a couple in their early 60's) struggled to carry our heavy luggage along the wharf from the seaplane dock to the hotel ferry. Being on an island, there are obviously no parking facilities, so it's by foot or nothing. When we arrived at the hotel, we learned that our room was on the third floor and there is no elevator. We had to beg a younger staff member to help us get our luggage up to the room.

The funky "water feature," done in stunning swimming pool blue concrete, is antiquated. I could imagine Lucy and Ricky in the 50's sitting on the veranda and enjoying it. I could hear it gurgling every morning as it turned on, usually coinciding withe the first seaplane run. It's not offensive, but a curious relic from a bygone era.

Now the ugly: The lovely swimming pool is located on or near a sewage treatment facility or holding tank. One cannot help but catch whiffs of you-know-what when entering the pool area. As the hotel is on an island, these things are necessary, but by the pool and restaurant?????

Still, even after these inconveniences, we enjoyed our stay immensely. There is an air of mystery about it, as if pirate ghosts freely roam the island. As other reviewers have accurately stated, this is not a place for high-maintenance or pampered travelers. If, however, you enjoy a little adventure and unexpectedly stunning views, you will probably find a lot to like about Hotel on the Cay.

By timothy143 Updated May 11, 2009

I very much appreciate all the work the staff puts in to maintaining this resort. This can be called "the common person's resort". I enjoy it very much. Being on a separate island, a greater sense of safety is felt. It has its own private beach and a pool too. The ferry runs across the harbor every 10 minutes or so, thus giving easy access to downtown Christiansted. This is the perfect resort for the scuba diver since Dive Experience is located so near and easily accessible. I was able to make arrangements to dive every day. This resort is not a "high end" resort that costs so much. This is a resort that anyone can afford. I bought my first week here about five years ago, and bought my most recent week just last Spring. Each year they make more improvements and are constantly updating the rooms. I love to venture around St. Croix and then retreat to the quiet of the Hotel at the end of the day. This resort may not be perfect for high maintenance people, but it is perfect for my needs. Very happy.

By donnaf137 Updated Aug 16, 2007

Was just there in May! Had a great time. if your looking for the Hilton this is not it, but if your looking for a great laid back vacation this is it! Great beach & snorklin! Rooms are in the process of being up-dated they are 75% complete, new kitchens, furniture ect.. very convient to downtown night life and shopping.Come with an Island attitude (not bossy demanding one and you will have the time of your life!)Island locals are laid back and not in a hurry!

By holleyb Updated Feb 12, 2006

Made the mistake of buying in before visitng. Worst week ever. The place is a dump. Facilities best described as "worn out". Maintenance - inept. Management - Uncaring. Advertised "Tour Desk" - a joke; its a sign up sheet hung on the wall. Only beach in the city - think about it - overrun by locals, drunk refinery workers, and Russian saliors. Forced them to repurchase week. Took threat of legal action to get some of my money refunded. DO NOT RECOMMEND! One Star is too much!

By sharons82 Jan 16, 2006

The Hotel was fine. It has been updated the last 2 years and is continually improved. The snorkeling was excellent and the location is PRIME for beach bums! We spent our honeymoon here and loved all the activities!

By edmajeski Jul 23, 2003

The snorkling around the island was super. The hotel itself was in need of some major updating. There was mold on the carpet surrounding the pool. There were weeds everywhere. The tennis courts were in poor condition and could not be used. The rooms needed a good cleaning and updating. If someone had some money to invest in the Hotel, it could be turned into a great place. They used the excuse that they were hit by HUGO. HUGO was 13 years ago. The best part about it was the views above and below the water.