Bluebeard's Castle

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas (USVI)

Reviews of Bluebeard's Castle

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas (USVI)

3.6

Have you been to Bluebeard's Castle lately?

By denisek125 Jan 29, 2011

This resort has been completely redone and the rooms are beautiful. It was one of the most relaxing vacations I have had in a long time. The view of Charlotte Amalia harbor was just breathtaking. Rented a car and drove all around the island. If you want comfort, newness as well as an historical pristine resort, Bluebeard's is it! I can't wait to go back!

By roberth899 Apr 4, 2010

This resort is undergoing an enormous $12 M renovation and every room has been gutted and finished perfectly. We were thrilled with our stay and the attitude of the staff at the Castle

By mikeu5 Nov 28, 2007

New Pool, Close (10 min. walking distance) Proximity to town, Friendly Staff

By richard1286 Aug 15, 2007

Our stay in Pirates Pension was one of the most relaxing vacations we've had in some time. The unit was clean, bright and the view of the yacht basin and cruise ship docs meant we spent many evenings sipping drinks and enjoying the action below.

Sunday had us walking to the grocery store for supplies - an easy walk with a roll-around pack towed behind. Groceries for breakfast, lunch and drinks were very reasonably priced at the local stores.

Monday found us decompressing around the great pool. Dinner at Room With A View was fabulous.

Tuesday we took the free shuttle to Megan's beach. This beach has the finest sand we've seen anywhere and the left end was practically deserted. The burgers at the snack bar were very good.

Wednesday was downtown shopping day as only 2 ships were in port that day. Mission accomplished as I got the Tag promised last Christmas and we found a great deal on the matching gift - unmounted diamonds for some earrings. Lunch at the open air restaurant by the bay was great. We watched an Americas Cup practice race while we ate.

Thursday we went to Koki Beach for scuba lessons. Great instructors and lots of friendly fish. Wife did her first scuba dive later that day.

Friday it was pool in the AM and Megan's in the PM. Dinner at Red Hook was clasic island fair at a local hang-out. The seafood was so fresh - nothing like that in Upstate NY.

All in all we had a great time. Some of the resort staff could have been more animated but others went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. I would highly recommend Pirates Pension or Megan's - our other favorite place on St. Thomas.

By tracy291 Jul 24, 2007

This was the worst customer service that I have seen in a long time. The lady at the front desk was rude. She never smiled or even tried to be polite to us. When we were leaving, we were telling one of the other employees who was helping someone else with their bags that she was rude to us at the front desk. This employee told us that we should stay at the St. Regis next time if we wanted better service. Isn't that something? The amenities were not bad, but that run in with the employees ruined the trip. We will never be back to this place.

By carol1356 Dec 12, 2006

I rented a Pirates Pension for Dec 2006 and when I got to STT, I found out that I was put in another unit. I blame the owner for that. It was what I'd call 'bait and switch', and not what I'd paid for. It was one of the hilltop villas overlooking town. It was a very generic unit...old and tired. Leaky toilet, drippy shower. There was a small microwave, and a 12 inch sink. Had to call to get drinking glasses and bowls and cutting board. The view was nice, but not as nice as the view where the ships come in. It was OK if you don't plan on spending any time in your room.

By yolandar4 Aug 11, 2006

This resort is a home away from home. The rooms are serviced once a week. The facility is older but, has been kept up well. The room was very clean. The bed was comfortable. Kitchenette had a frig, microwave, toaster, a sink, dishes, silverware and glasses. The room had extra pillows and towels already stocked.

The view from my balcony was breath taking, a view of the harbour and the city lights was great. At night I would open the curtains and let the moon light in and wake to the sun.

The resort is close to shopping & downtown. I was able to walk down the hills to Main St., but don't try to walk back up with all your bags & things. Save your energy & catch a $4 safari taxi. There is always a regular taxi on the premises waiting to take you where ever you want to go. There are plenty places to eat at the resort. The bar by the pool serves great breakfast sandwiches. The upper level bar has a great Italian menu and stays open unitl 10 pm. When all the other restaurants are closed.

When you arrive get as many beach towels you can because they run out fast.

By holleyb Jul 11, 2006

Just back from week 26 in Unit 254. Best week ever. Friendly staff. Yes the facilities are older, but they are well maintained. Front desk is a little confusing, with the two Management Companies. But hopefully that can all be resolved.

254 is a penthouse overlooking the cruise ship harbor. Two bedrooms. Two full baths and a hugh living/dining area with a full kitchen, dining for 8 AND laundry room with washer and dryer. No need to pack lots with this. A/C was cold!

Did diner at one of the on site resturants, Banana Tree Grill. Food was GREAT and not too pricey. The Pool bar is a little slow, but the other Bar is excelent. Sit back and watch the cruise ships glide out at sunset.

Rented cars and did the full island tour. A must do.

Have read all the bad reviews and don't think those people stayed at the same resort. Some folks just need to get a life.

Enjoyed our week and we are looking forward to next year.

HB

By cindyd40 Apr 29, 2006

Great location; can walk downtown. It has two of the best restaurants on the Island (Room With a View and Banana Tree Grill) Sister resorts offer private beaches and there is an activity( example; shuttle to Meagen's Bay) you can join every day or if you prefer you can relax by the pool and never leave the resort. Very relaxed atmosphere.

By stephaniek15 Jan 9, 2006

this was the worst vacation we ever had. There is not one positive thing about this resort. It was in horrendously bad condition physically, nothing worked: elevators, ice machines, tv, phone. The staff had the worst attitude I've ever encountered. It was so bad RCI refunded our week. DO NOT GO THERE!!!

By martha226 Updated Sep 11, 2005

Our favorite place in all of the Carribean. Great activities,easy transportation with shuttles from hotel to gorgeous beach, outstanding views, unbelievable tax free shopping.

By wee013 Updated Jul 9, 2004

This resort has activities to offer better than most resorts we have stay at.

The location is superb and the views from the the resort are unforgettable.

Easy access to all areas of the island.

Renting a car is the best option. Maps and roads are well marted and it is easy to find your way around.

Best prices on jewelry we have found. Diamonds International has good prices with quality products. I had jewelry I bought here appraised in the states and we received a great value! (Double the value!)

Friendly staff to assist you here. You will have a wonderful vacation if you chose this resort.

By walrusjcd Updated Apr 6, 2003

We have enjoyed this resort for many years. It has a commanding position over the harbor and city and is centrally located to beaches and duty free shopping. Fine dining is available on the premises.

By wmjfltc Feb 19, 2003

Stayed two weeks thru RCI exchange- Place is a dump- accomodations are oldest on island. Restuarants are geae pits, when they are even open. Service is horrible, the employees would rather talk amongst themselves, common areas are littered. Very poor TS oppty.

By lmsuit Dec 30, 2002

Great views! Added convenience of sharing rights with two other sister resorts on island. They even provide transportation between the 3, as well as shuttle service to downtown.

By robertew Nov 24, 2002

We were disappointed with this hotel. The fort???? a disappointment as well. Just a tower that you can't even go into! It has real potential and I would not say it is a bad place just needs some spiffing up! Not gold crown or wasn't when we were there 3 or 4 years ago. This hotel is associated with another timeshare resort on the island and it seems the money is being spent on that new property and this one is or was being neglected somewhat!