Reviews of Royal Cancun (Formerly Club Internacional de Cancun)

Cancun, Mexico

4.7

Have you been to Royal Cancun (Formerly Club Internacional de Cancun) lately?

By jamesf363 Mar 4, 2015

I was an owner there for 28 Years. Everything was always impeccably ..clean .. all the staff right down to the bellhop and gardeners were friendly it was wonderful. They have a great restaurant/bar with the swim up area RIGHT ON THE BEACH SIDE..we never had a bad meal there excellent!. AND FOR FINE DINING UPSCALE ,MAKE RESERVATIONS AT THEIR SISTER RESORT THE ROYAL MAYN, CONQUISTADOR DINING ROOM OUTSTANDING !

By maryw427 Feb 7, 2012

We have been members at the resort for 30 years, and have never been dissatisfied in any way. Many of the employees have been there as long as I can remember, and have pride in their resort. The food is clean and delicious; the facilities are in excellent condition; we had new furniture, tvs in our unit this year. There is wifi, even on the beach!!! The ocean is gentle and you can wade out at least 20 feet before your knees get wet! It has been a wonderful place for my children and now grandchildren to grow up!

By jeaniner13 Jan 24, 2012

This place is like heaven. We rented for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Years. I never want to leave!

By ellist Updated Dec 11, 2010

I have been a member of Club International de Cancun since 1977... I consider it to be the single best investment I ever made in my life, because no other investment has brought so much pleasure to my life, and to my family's... it changed my life for the better.

After 30 years, it came to the end of the 30 years right to use with a residual value, and we were offered to renew or receive the residual value... of course, I renewed my three weeks for another 30 years. "Residual Value" by the way, is unheard of in most other timeshares. It means we got our original investment back, or in my case, much more.

The Club was renovated extensively. All the drainage was replaced, the swimming pools are now heated, and the Villas were beautifully remodeled and furnished. It was already beautiful before, but it is even more beautiful now. If it was 5 stars before, now it deserves another star, because now it is exceptionally beautiful. The swimming pools now are heated... and new lights that change colors from a deep blue to green and purple etc. were installed in the swimming pools... they are stunningly beautiful... There is a new "river" that flows from one fountain near one swimming pool to the other swimming pool. And there is a new playground for small children.

Also known as "Vacation Clubs International" or "V.C.I." or "Vacation Clubs"... This was the first Royal Resort, and it set new standards for the Timeshare industry. It is not as "ritzy" as the other Royal Resorts, but it is first class all the way. V.C.I. has had the highest customer rating for longer than any other timeshare in the world, according to Interval International, Consumer's Reports, and R.C.I. You can also use the restaurants and facilities at the other Royal Resorts, which makes it very pleasant. Service is superb.

The "C" Villas are duplex (two floors) and have two large bedrooms and two baths, and the "B" Villas have two smaller bedrooms and only one bath. They both have the same kitchen and living room area. The beach at V.C.I. is very calm and great for children, as opposed to the beach on the other side of the island, and sailing here is the best. You will love the beautiful architecture and landscaping and gardens of V.C.I.

By andreah147 Aug 16, 2010

Oh my God, this place is wonderful...It's well kept, the units has great space, the service is so great, and I love the fact that it's so close to town. The bus fare is great, runs quite often (every 5-10min). I took the bus to Walmart to purchase food for the week to cook in my full size kithchen, complete with dishes, pots, pans, silverware. The maid services is top of the line and anything we needed they worked hard to accomodate us...I shall return year after year...Try it and let me know.

By audreyg30 Updated Jul 27, 2010

My friend and I just stayed here week 15, 2010. It was a 'girls' getaway. As you can imagine, we were a little apprehensive being in Cancun by ourselves, but once we got to the resort...all our fears went away. Our concierge (Fayo) was tremendous, housekeeping was great and the food at the restaurant was awesome! Very CLEAN, QUIET AND FRIENDLY. Looking into purchasing a unit myself.

The convenience of the Royal Market was wonderful. Prices are very competitive, so there was no need to find "Wal-mart" which would have cost us a lot more in the long run. They have almost anything you could want. I highly recommend this location!

This place is AWESOME!

Update 5/6/10 I just purchased a unit!!

By javierg14 Updated Aug 23, 2009

This is a 30 yr. old resort but in excellent conditions. This is the only resort in the world that has won Interval International awards for Customer Satisfaction for 30 years straight. Beautifully furnished and decorated villas. I have a C villa, weeks 51 & 52 of this resort (same unit always so no need to tip the person in the front desk to get the villa you want). I have a 2 Bedroom/2bath Duplex Villa. The timeshare includes the complete usage of all the Royal resorts facilities located at the 5 other resorts. Free shuttle service is provided. The great thing is that this is not an all inclusive resort. You have the choice of cooking in, using the restaurant, order food to your villa from the deli or dining out. The villa includes a full kitchen (with pots, pans, dishes and utensils), stove, microwave and dishwasher, dining room, living room and balcony. Included is the standard Royals Maid service every day except Sunday. Excellent service!!! Free sailboats, tennis, snorkelling, heated swimming pool. In 2008 the VCI put in wireless throughout the resort along with heated pools.

By ronk66 Apr 27, 2009

Spent week # 13 here.... 15th visit to VCI... we also own at Mayan and Royal Haciendas...but are most comfortable with VCI... should have additional units here when they became available to member/owners... kicking myself for that mistake... Overall comparison is that it is the best situated location wise to enjoy whatever you want to do in Cancun. Great to hear that another golf club is up and running, and that they have a shuttle service for servicing guests... how do you beat that..!!

By mark2202 Jan 22, 2008

Stayed at VCI Royal International Club de Cancun 1/13-1/20/2008. I was extremely impressed w/ the resort. I had assumed after 30yrs it would be somewhat dated but I was shocked to see how impressive the grounds and units actually were.

I am 32 and my finace is 27, we are not huge partiers thus the nightlife is not really attractive to us. We prefer to relax on the beach and do day trips. This resort was perfect. I was also suprised to see a bunch of younger people after reading some of the reviews.

The beach was nice and rather large when compared to other resort beaches post hurricane. We never had a problem finding space or getting a chair. I'd say only 50% of beach chairs were used at the peak hours.

Another thing that really stuck out for me was how quite the units were. Generally I can hear doors slamming or people walking upstairs but I did not hear a peep the entire 7 night stay. The resteraunt was nice but had a limited menu. We ended up eating at the resort at least 1 time per day but when we were tired of the menu we went to the main drag in the hotel zone for other food choices.

The staff here is amazing. Most resorts have an amazing staff but this resort is clearly better than any other I've stayed at. Most employees had been w/ the resort for upwards of 10yrs and some the entrire 30yrs. The owners make it a priority to keep guest and staff happy and as a result you have a wonderful envoirment. I was extremely impressed w/ how every staff member spoke near perfect English. They must give them classes or something because they were very well spoken.

The area is safe and after the 1st day we never even thought about theft or someone taking our stuff while we were in the water or pool. There was not a heavy push to purchase a timeshare. We were asked to attend a b-fast once, we refused, and that was it. Loved this resort!

By jeffrey184 Jul 15, 2007

My wife and I just returned from our 1st trip to Cancun. Several friends gave us advice to the area and how great it was. They were 100% right with the area. VCI is one of 6 Royal resorts in this area. This is the 1st one that was built in 1977. It is very well maintained and the staff is genuanly friendly. You are allowed to spend time at the other resorts at no charge and they have a shuttle that will take you to the Sands and then if you want go to the other resorts another shuttle will take you there. This is a 1st class organizationthat understands that if they take care of you that you will return.

VCI has a swim up bar on one side and a pool side bar on the other. It is a quite resort with great food and service.

The only downside to this resort is the location to the restuarant area. You can take a cab or the city bus to get there but you are not within walking distance to this area. We will be booking our next years vacation within the Royal resorts as soon as we turn in our week at our home resort. We highly recommend staying within the Royal Resort family. You can review their resorts at Royalresorts.com.

By jeanm33 Jan 6, 2007

Our family just returned from spending Christmas week at VCI. We rented (through RedWeek) two units on the beach. With two young children, the Club was perfect. There was lots to do, and going into downtown Cancun for dinner every night was easy and a treat.

The facilities are in beautiful condition. We played tennis, enjoyed the sun fishing, the beach and the pools. We loved the low rise architecture and the views from our decks of all the activity in the bay were fabulous. This is a great resort.

By akasabian Oct 28, 2006

People who belong to the Royal Resorts love them. This was the first one and the original members continue to love it but it being the original, now nearly thirty years old, it is dated. Space is a bit tight, the beach is only fair by cancun standards and the many of the occupants are the original owners, and if they were in there 40's when they purchased, you will get an idea of what it is like now.

By arlene08 Updated Jun 15, 2006

I am a timeshare owner of this resort & in the other reveiws it said it will be re-sold in 2006.

Just a FYI for all who read the reveiws & have read it will be re-sold in 2006.....Not So..... The owners have until June 2007 to be able to use their unit or rent it. Mine is April 7 thru 14, 2007 & I have it posted for rental.

By chriskre Sep 22, 2005

Just returned from a wonderful week at a great resort. The staff is very attentive to your needs. Felt like I was staying at a 5 star hotel. You get your own personal concierge when you check in which is nice. Unfortunately next year is the last year this resort will be available as their land lease is up and they will be selling the resort to a high rise builder so enjoy it while you can, you won't be disappointed. The timeshare pitch is really mild so not to fear. You will actually feel like you are staying in an upscale Mexican resort not one of those glitzy new vegas style hotels they are building all along the hotel strip.

By gregs3 Jun 28, 2005

Just spent a week at Club International. What a fantastic place. Wonderful staff and well maintained resort. Not being located in the main hotel zone makes this resort seem much more out of the way than it actually is. The free shuttle to other Royal Resorts is nice also.

By carmen195 Apr 24, 2005

Just returned from a week at VCI with all arrangements made via Redweek.com and the owners' timeshare. I have to say this was THE most hassle-free vacation I have ever enjoyed! This was my second visit to Club Internacional Cancun, so I knew what to expect, but the service, restaurants, staff and maintenance were as superb today as they were 7 years ago! I will highly recommend Redweek and the Royal Resorts to all my friends and family.

By rosalesc Oct 5, 2003

Absolutely wonderful. Very relaxing and enjoyable resort.

By rogers_07 Aug 20, 2003

Club Internacional is another of the excellent Royal resorts in Cancun and allows guests to access all the services at the sister resorts. Even though VCI is the oldest of the Royals, it does not show its age! The staff is very helpful and friendly and the facilities and activities are excellent. They even have sailboats for guests to use and lessons - free!

By eric_h Aug 19, 2003

We stay every Christmas with relatives here. It is not a party place, but very relaxing, well kept, & clean. The beach is in a bay area, so there is very little wave action. Great beach for small children. We own at Royal Islander and Royal Sands, but always go to Club International at least once when we stay at our own units to have breakfast in the Palapa Restaurant. The restaurant sits right on the beach. There is nothing better than sitting there in the morning drinking coffee and watching the sunrise.

By ballardjm Aug 18, 2003

We traded to this resort in June of 2003. The staff was the friendliest we have ever found. We timeshare vacation every year and this has to be the best staff anywhere. Our liason met us as we arrived and was very helpful all week. They were never pushy about selling, but always available to help. the resort is beautiful and very well maintained.

By mikes Dec 18, 2002

I have stayed there three times and enjoyed it. Good location for families with children due to a quite, safe beach protected from the ocean by a nearby island. New beachfront LaPalapa restaurant. Nice tennis courts. Some units have ocean view, others lagoon view. This resort has only four years to go on its original lease and will have to be re-sold in 2006. MIkeS

By bestbeach Updated Oct 23, 2002

I have stayed here many years! I find something new to do every year!

The restaurants are great. The amenities fabulous. There's always something exciting to do-day or night!

It's not a 'Spring-Breaker' resort so it's especially good for families with kids, with Activities for them too!