Reviews of Pueblo Bonito Resort at Emerald Bay

Mazatlan, Mexico

4.5

Have you been to Pueblo Bonito Resort at Emerald Bay lately?

By lenb14 Dec 19, 2014

We have owned here for about 9 years and absolutely love everything about this resort. Service is great. They take such good care for the grounds and facilities. New spa and gym are fantastic. Love the spinning, yoga etc classes. Pools and restaurants are outstanding. Wonderful safe setting that feels like home. Workers have been there many years since they take good care of their employees. Very nice beach to walk on and convenient free shuttle to sister resort in Golden Zone. Just returned and our friends who stayed with us loved it so much bought even though had no intention to!! The all inclusive is a fantastic deal and we have taken advantage of it the past few times we have been there. If you want a safe relaxing beautiful vacation this is the place for you!

By helen73 Updated Jul 25, 2014

This place is fabulous - the service is outstanding, the food excellent, the accommodations superb - it truly is a 5 star resort or gold crown. It is party time during Xmas and New Year for everyone at the resort. All of us loved every minute of our vacation - kids included who had their own "club" in which to have fun. The SPA is to die for - massages, a full gym to work out, being pampered, private and quiet for relaxation. If you want to go to town they have a shuttle - don't need a car in this town! Book now to get in this outstanding resort!

By john3321 Jul 24, 2011

Outstanding resort. As beautiful as any we've stayed, has a tropical feel. Maybe the top resorts on Wailea and Kapalua are fancier but this is hard to beat. Good dining choices. Not so far to the Gold Coast as they have regular service to the other Pueblo Bonito. Staff very friendly and efficient. Great adult pool. Highly recommend.

By lonig Updated Mar 13, 2009

this place is so awsome i recomend it to everyone who hasnt yet stayed here.. there is not anything negative about this place... the people who work here are great the food is good the DRINKS are good and the service is just fantastic. I cant wait to go again next christmas.. we love it so much we are buying a timeshare so we can go every year! In fact we just bought our timeshare.. In the new building christmas week.. so now we can go every year.. we are so excited..

By kittyc6 Nov 16, 2008

Just got back last night from the resort. 11/08 We traded in, thru RCI What a perfect spot and resort :) It was so clean, the people friendly The pool and beach were great and the food, outstanding !!! There is a free- shuttle that runs hourly to another Pueblo Bonito in town, if you want a change of scenery or to try another place to eat ! We are going back next year ~

By sandy417 Updated Jul 29, 2008

Stayed in newest building two weeks in December. Everything was wrong from dirty dishes, missing utensils, inoperable deadbolt and screws falling out of shower head. Meal at main restaurant was terrible service and left me sick in bed for two days. Contacted manager with minimal response, am now in contact with Mr. Coppell

Heard from manager asking if there was any way we woud reconsider staying at Emerald Bay again. I said if they would have maintenance and housekeeping further trained it would certainly help. No mention of any special incentive to return so I said we would much preferf to stay at PB in Mazatlan which is older but definitely more friendly and water is great for swimming. When we visited it reminded me of older, genteel mexico where personnel care about the visitors.

By elenad5 Apr 29, 2008

I stayed last May 2007. It was my first time in Mazatlan. I already own timeshare but when I saw Emerald Bay, I knew that I had stepped into the most beautiful place. Everything was first class. The people were wonderful. The food was delicious. I never used the kitchen in the room except for coffe in the morning. I had a wonderful experience.

By katiea14 Aug 31, 2007

An absolutely beatiful, picture-perfect resort. The beds are comfortable. You can "order" a pillow for free, for example you can order a goose-down pillow, or soft or firm... The water temperature is perfect to sit in and read a book. The food is great, and if you eat in the restaurant order a flaming-coffee drink for desert, the show is fantastic.

By carlag Jul 16, 2007

We were extremely pleased with our stay at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay. The resort truly is remarkable and reminds me of the beautiful resorts in Hawaii. The food at the resort is great and very reasonably priced. For quick breakfast/lunch, you can get an omelet, sandwich, or wrap (delicious) in the deli for about $5.00 US. We had great experiences at the two restaurants at the other PB in town as well. The kitchenette was well equipped with everything you could ever need. The time share tour was not stressful at all, and dare I say, even enjoyable! (Even though we didn’t purchase.)

We couldn’t get our little boy to leave the Kid’s Club – he had so much fun. And at only $27 for a full day, how could we argue with him? The spa is also reasonably priced (especially compared to Playa Grande, our home resort in Cabo).

Golfers: They are putting in a golf course which should be ready in a few years. We loved the Estrella del Mar golf course (and restaurant), which is about 45 minutes away, but I would stay away from the much closer El Cid course – yuck. My husband and son paid $75 for both of them (twilight) at Estrella del Mar. It is a BEAUTIFUL course with many beachside holes. My husband was ecstatic as we usually have to pay $150-$200 per person in Cabo. As for El Cid (or El SKID Row as we called it), they paid $150 for 2 people (twilight). This included $17 for the laziest caddie you've ever seen. He just rode in my husband's cart and didn't do diddly-squat. He was more of an irritant than a help. They also charged us $40 for an extra cart (it was only $18 at Estrella). The course is in a neighborhood with no view of anything. My kids discovered a sewage facility when they were looking for a ball! I would definitely recommend you make the extra effort to get out to Estrella over “El Skid.”

Fishing: The Escualo Fleet was AWESOME and we caught a 90 lb. Sailfish and 100 lb. Marlin. Again, a great value – only $500 full day for a 36’ boat, probably half of what it would cost us in Cabo, plus—we actually caught some fish! We took our Mahi-Mahi to the restaurant at the resort and they cooked it up for us. Then the next day, the deli made my husband a fish sandwich with the leftovers.

PBEB is not within walking distance to anything, so keep that in mind. There is a shuttle to the other PB closer to town, and I don’t think taxis were all that expensive. We rented a car because my teenage son took daily Spanish classes in downtown Mazatlan (about 30 minutes away, but a pretty drive along the water).

Oh yes, they do water the plants with stinky runoff sewage (GROSS!) We just took the walkway in the front of the buildings during these times and didn’t let it ruin our otherwise perfect vacation.

As owners at Playa Grande in Cabo, which we love, we were afraid we might be disappointed staying elsewhere in Mexico. We were pleasantly surprised. Amazing resort! You (well, most people I guess) will absolutely love it!

By galem3 Mar 10, 2007

This place is beautiful and we love it here not to big .

By jayne118 Updated Apr 12, 2006

Compared to most timeshare properties, this one is absolutely beautiful. It has the beauty of a Ritz Carlton, but the service is definitely on typical Mexico time, not Ritz time. 5 girlfriends went on this trip & had 2 rooms next to each other.

The staff is not as friendly as the PB Mazatlan but maybe that will come with time and all reviews are right about the beach. It gets windy and is quite rocky and not as nice as PB Mazatlan. HOWEVER, the pools are stunning, the grounds are lush, the rooms are spacious (tho a bit noisy if you have guests above you) and Kelly's bar is a great end of the night stop!

We utilized the services at the mini-spa, which were great. An adequate gym as well with good cadio equip & some circuit and free weights. We hear a larger spa is to be built next year(hopefully) and will offer more services.

The food is on the higher side for price, but good. We dined in town frequently but lunched at the pool. There is one nice rest, Kelly's bar, 2 deli's, one with a grill, and the outdoor grills at the 2 pools. The bartenders need to work on their skills. PB Mazatlan has much better marquaritas and pool cocktails!

They need a shuttle bus that will go to the Golden Zone and to the Historical area, as a taxi will run $10-$15 each way. There is a free shuttle to the PB Mazatlan where other transport will run $5-$10 to te same areas. Rumor has it they are will also be adding a shuttle to the grocery store on Tuesdays to stock up the rooms.

Nearby Bruhas is a fun stop for live music and dining. Ask about their special nights. Other rest. are in town and require a 15-30 minute drive depending on what area you are going to.

All in all, I'd give this place 4.5 stars as they are still growing up. We did the timeshare tours and saved alot of money on food and drink and it was fun to hear what was new.They did not push my friends into buying. I actually own and might buy another unit if I find one at the right price!

By mikelm Updated Mar 27, 2006

This is a place for the truley rich and famous and if they say they have a beach you just have to walk a half mile to it. Otherwise all rocks. Shuttle bus service is poor and they will only take you to the other hotel. Not a very friendly staff and if you are allergic to bees do not go to this location. Otherwise really nice expensive place. Watch out for the time share sales staff and if you buy something besides and actual time share you do not have 3 days to rescind. ISOLATION not nightlife area

By daleg13 Feb 8, 2006

We just returned from our second stay at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay. It just gets better and better. The rooms are elegant. The kitchen is well stocked for the cooking and entertaining we did while there. The restaurant still has great food although a bit pricey, so we ate in and at other restaurants often. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Chocolate on our pillows every night with the turn-down service for beds.

The activities really impressed me. They have more scheduled than most resorts. I felt like it was a "cruise on land" with all there was to do right at the resort. The two pool complexes and the swim-up bars are always hopping.

The only drawback to staying at this resort is the lack of a good beach. We own two other timeshares in Mazatlan and enjoy the beach more at those, but the other features can't compare. Because it is further from the heart of town there is a feeling of being on a tropical island when you want, but it is easy to get to town. The resort runs a free shuttle to the other Pueblo Bonito by the golden zone every hour. City bus, taxis, and pulmonias are also available.

Internet access is important to us while away from home and the internet cafe in the deli is reasonable and comfortable. We will be back in Mazatlan at least once more this year and definitely plan to spend some time at the resort again.

By kevin195 Sep 16, 2005

My Wife, baby 14 month, and mother in law just returned from Pueblo bonito EB. We have been time share owners with RCI for three yeas now and this resort was without a doubt the best we have stayed at. The rooms are neo classic in design and quite large. our one bedroom suete had 2 bathrooms. a kitchen and large living room with TV. Several news stations as well as HBO and Cinimax were available on the TV. We did the timeshare presentation and were not at all preasured to buy. We recieved $150 credit from the hotel for food and drinks. Most of our food was purchased at Gigante, a major supermarket in mexico, which cost about $10 each way by cab. A spa across the old PB has very good prices for massage manacues ect. An hour massage. manacure and pedicure and facial was $50. The resort had varios tropical birds on sight including flamigos, black and white swans, peacocks and parrots. iguanas roamed freely thought the resort and a stream with waterfalls and goldfish traversed the resort. Their were two pools with lotsh of invisisable edges, and jacusis thoughtout. The sea was rocky so you had to take a shuttle the their sister resort if you wanted to swim in it. It runs hourly and is free. all in all tthe best resort we have stayed at. A terrific resort, we will be going back as soon as possible.

By dond107 Updated Feb 16, 2005

Just returned from our 3rd trip to Emerald Bay. We are still in awe of the beauty of this destination. The staff is excellent, they are attentive to every need and always remember who you are. The units are clean and very spacious, have everything you need for a fantastic vacation. I would recommend Emerald Bay to everyone looking for a FIRST CLASS resort.

By kathryn315 Feb 10, 2005

We are owners here, and we couldn't be happier! This resort is beautiful. The suites are roomy, comfortable and well equipped. Daily maid service includes a turn-down service in the evening with a chocolate treat left on your pillow. You may purchase the coffee packet found in your suite for morning coffee, or visit one of the on-site delis for all kinds of grocery needs. An internet center is also available.

The grounds are full of palm trees and exotic flowers of every sort. The pools just seem to go on forever, and there are at least two kiddie pools and two hot tubs. Daily activities are now offered, as well as a children's program (I believe there is a fee for the children's program, but I can't really comment on it because we didn't have children with us). There are flamingos and swans on the grounds, as well as a number of aviaries with parrots and peacocks. The sloping landscape features waterfalls into pools stocked with colorful koi.

The beach is a little rocky next to resort, so it is not suitable for swimming. You will find a safer area about 300 yards north. There are miles of undeveloped beach for your morning walk. One thing you won't find on the beach is beach vendors! If you're lonely for beach vendors, take the free shuttle to the Pueblo Bonito resort in town.

By susiearnold Nov 19, 2004

Going for our third time in two years - absolutely fabulous with the best customer service. It feels like going to Cheers - where everyone knows your name. The employees are so personable. We are returning for Christmas this year - make your reservations early for the best holiday dinner imaginable at Angelo's - romance, atmosphere, and the best food in Mazatlan. Along with loving the hotel - the people will warm your heart - happy holidays

By deb125 Apr 21, 2004

We have stayed at many resorts in Mazatlan and most recently back from Cabo San Lucas. As an owner here at Emerald Bay, I can truely say this is a 10 STAR resort. Other than the beauty and privacy of the beaches, the customer service is like no other. You will feel like a King or Queen during your stay. All rooms face the ocean. Take the free shuttle to the Golden Zone and catch a bus or pulmania from there. Looking forward to going back to visit our new friends at Emerald Bay.

By john714 Mar 21, 2004

We've been to a few royal resorts and other resorts that claim to be 5 star gold crown in Cancun and Cabo and this one is hands down the best. No pesky vendors staking out the resort... You can walk along miles of beach, or have service at your feet, the free shuttle into town gives you the best of both worlds... We'll definately be going back.

By marge3630 Updated Dec 23, 2002

New Pueblo Bonito resort in Mazatlan and absolutely stunning. Pictures do not do it justice. Views fantastic. New pool open now. There is a free bus shuttle between this new resort and the Pueblo Bonito resort in Mazatlan.

By labriedp Nov 1, 2002

The resort at Emerald Bay is Pueblo Bonito's newest addition to Mazatlan. The site of the resort is a short distance from downtown, making the stay very quiet and pleasant. However, when you get ready to experience the nightlife of Mazatlan, a shuttle provides service between the resort and Pueblo Bonito's other resort located in the heart of the downtown beach area.

The grounds are immaculate, with pink flamingos lounging in and around the ponds located throughout the resort. This is a gold crown resort and it will not disappoint you.