Reviews of Westgate Park City Resort & Spa

Park City, Utah

4.3

Have you been to Westgate Park City Resort & Spa lately?

By scottp362 Feb 26, 2016

We have been in a ski club and traveled to nearly every state with skiing, including Canada and Alaska and we really were super impressed at Park City (Canyons). Varied terrain, close to SLC airport (25 min), great snow, fast lifts, an incredible town with fantastic places to eat and drink. We loved it so much we picked up a timeshare week at Westgate after giving it two guest stays.

Some of these reviews are very old, and management has changed. They are very on the ball regarding room service. You pull up and your luggage is unloaded and whisked to your room. Your car if you have one can be parked in a garage away from elements. Check in is painless and friendly. You can get your skis from the ski services folks - they cart them outside so you don't have to bother with carrying your stuff! The lifts are about 25 yards from the condo - you can't get any closer. On the way back, you can grab a beer or other drink at a variety of places such as Drafts (in the building) or the outdoor ski beach area. You can rent skis / boards from Aloha, which is also located in the building.

The rooms of the 2bd 2bth "double lockout" we purchased have a small deck with a view, fireplace, stainless / granite / fully equipped kitchen, washer dryer, steam / shower, whirlpool bath for 2-3, 4 flat screen TV's with DVD players, etc etc.

Our kids LOVE the 3.5' deep (something like that) heated indoor outdoor pool, and hot tubs. Also provided is ping pong, large chess and other games, a snack bar, sauna, showers, etc.

A well stocked mini store is on site as well including beer and prices are very similar to the outside stores.

Only gripes are: The building design with hallways is poor and you will need to pay attention to get around, as it doesn't make much sense. The hallways are too warm as dressed for slopes and walking from Bison you'll be sweating like a pig. The internet works, but repeated log in required last time there but they are always improving things. The cable TV feed is SD as of 2015 which in this day and age is poor, but again it maybe upgraded by now. Garage parking can be tight for larger vehicles.

By williams623 Oct 9, 2014

Park City is the place to be also in summer. Lots of great hiking right there or in High Unitas and Big Cottonwood Canyon. Terrific restaurants right these in the Canyons Resort Plaza. 45 minutes from airport.

By randyj78 Jul 28, 2013

We stayed at this location in mid June when they were really slow. As owners of another top Westgate resort we thought we were going to a 5 star resort. At check-in we were told where our room was and sent on our way. Not typical of Westgate resorts. Upon finding our room we could not get on WIFI to check email. One hour later our representative showed up to look at room renovations and to check us in. The renovation was floors and appliances only as everythig else was 10+ years old. Told about WIFI problem he said he would look into it and get back to us. We never heard back from him to do maintenance check-up or anything. The location is very hard to locate with Talisker Lodges and Hotels all around this property. Views were obstructed from other Resort properties and were not even a 3 star let alone what they think it is. Very dissatisfied with this property and would never return even if they paid my airfaire . Westgate was notified of these problems , they sent us a certificate for exchange fee ($125.00) for our troubles. We wont even use this as we will be staying at our home resort in Gatlinburg, TN.

By loren62 Jan 2, 2010

Fabulous! We just returned from staying in a 2BR, 2Bath that slept 8 perfectly and could have accomdated 2 more. Spacious and upscale. We were just mere steps away from the gondola and the Westgate delivered our skiis directly to the Gondola every morning. They provided daily towel service and cleaning of all areas including the kitchen and bathrooms. Their locker service is convenient; the pool, hot tubs and game room were a thrill everyday after skiing. The onsite restaurant was phenomenal and had a great wine selection. We would definitely stay again. It is located very near shopping centers if you need to run out for groceries or other items, and some great restaurants. (Family of 4 adults, 2 teens and 2 pre-teens)

By martink34 Nov 9, 2009

Lovely facility in terms of the villas and amenities (pool, tranquility pool, excellent restaurant and reported ski-in/ski-out capability in season). Our two-bedroom villa was one of the older ones in Elk lodge, but was functional and fully-equipped. Despite cable, television reception was very poor. Daily housekeeping "tidy-up" was a nice perk for a timeshare.

The major negative, however, was the staff. Not the housekeeping staff, who were very pleasant and helpful. It was the front desk and other "guest services" staff that were a major disappointment. Check-in (on an off-day, Tues), was cursory and unfriendly. No resort map was provided, until we called later and asked for one. No baggage carts available ("due to an 'accident' several years ago"), but no service staff available to help with multiple bags and groceries to carry through the maze of halls.

After checking in to our room on the "Fifth Floor" - we suddenly recognized that this was below ground level at pool-side. The windows were 2 inches from the dirt, and there was no balcony. We called the front desk immediately and asked if there were any other 2-bedroom villas available. They told me that "all villas are exactly the same" and that they didn't really understand what our issue was. I explained (a) the noise from the pool was bothersome, with a hot-tub literally 4 feet from our bedroom window and (b) I was a bit concerned having my windows at ground level for security. After keeping us waiting for 50 minutes while they "looked into it", we got a room on the "Seventh Floor" - which turned out to be very nice, with a full balcony, etc. They emphasized, however, that they were "going out of their way" for our "unusual request". I could understand that it would be an inconvenience in the peak ski or summer seasons, but this was the first week in November. There were no more than 10 other cars in the parking lot throughout the week - the resort was deserted!

There was never anyone at the Concierge desk during the week, and we had to access "guest services" via telephone. The individuals on the phone were uniformly unfriendly and unhelpful. One example - we called to inquire about horseback riding recommendations, and were curtly told "They are all closed for the season." Uhhh... no... several phone calls through yellow pages revealed at least three major ranches in Park City still running in the first week in November.

The counter people in the Marketplace were also unfriendly and unhelpful. No eye contact, short answers, always making it seem we were "inconveniencing" them in some way, even though the resort was deserted.

Check-out was carried out with the same glum, unfriendly style as check in. Now, I'm not looking for a hug or anything, but some pleasantness might be appreciated. We were very glad that no-one contacted us for a timeshare promotion, because I'd never buy here. It's unfortunate, because the facility itself is very nice and in a great spot. Even a miniscule attention to "customer service" would have made things much better.

By ck54 Updated Mar 5, 2008

We ski almost every winter with our kids. With four kids, renting at an upscale resort with enough space for the six of us became very expensive. We bought at this resort for every even year, week 51, at the pre-construction price in Dec 1999. We now wish that we had purchased it for every year since prices have gone up close to 60%. As for the facility, this place is just fabulous. We have taken our kids to many resorts over the years including the Marriott Beach Club in Maui and our timeshare at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on the Beach, and they love this one the most. The two bedroom is more than a two bedroom since it has a lockout with a small sitting room and a kitchenette in addition to the second bedroom with a King.

When my kids were younger, it was great to have a ski valet that carried all of their stuff (what a load off). The resort is close to the gondola, and it is easy for us to go back to the condo for a break if needed. As a bonus, we have always been able to purchase lift tickets at a discount from the resort. I think we paid $50 in 2006 when tickets were selling for $78 over the Christmas season. In addition, Costco now sells tickets to the Canyons for about $99 for a two-day adult ticket.

The resort is only about 30 minutes from Salt Lake City. It is all highway driving from the airport. It was great to take the kids to the SLC for a stage show in addition to hitting the local movie theater, downtown for restaurants, and outlet for the after Christmas sales. For the local trips, the shuttle is excellent and prompt. Down the road, there is also a sledding place for the kids who want to take a break from skiing.

The restaurant is fabulous. The quality of the food is high, it is not expensive-though not cheap when you are feeding a family. The facilities are clean. The pool area is spacious and clean with an indoor/outdoor pool and ping-pong tables. The only bad thing about the resort is the arcade since my kids can spend a fortune there.

It is too bad that we did not buy this for every year in 1999 because we simply cannot afford to buy it now.

By cindyt71 Updated Jul 2, 2015

I'm an owner at this resort and had brought it in Houston, Tx without previewing it in Utah. The idea that it was a ski in and ski out resort, 5 star with ski concierge and local shopping and grocery store (like albertson)...nothing too expensive like other location....anyway, i stayed for the first time during ski week (March 2007) and loved it. It is a very convenient location and the ski valet is really helpful when i don't have to carry all the kids' skis to the slopes. Do you know how heavy it is to carry your skis and your kids skis??? You will appreciate this when you use this free service. My sister's family also stayed with us in a two bedroom...we were fighting over the steam shower in the master suite!!!!....the kids love this even further because when night time comes around and we are all tired from the slopes, the kids went down to the heated inside pool!!!...yes it is heated and indoor...you can't beat this!!!...while our husband is at the indoor pools with the kids, my sister and I went to the nearby outlet mall only less than 5 minutes away....everyone was pleased!!!!...The staff were also friendly and pleasant making sure we were all accommodated.!!!! We were very happy with the Westgate...it is no comparison to any other place that we have stayed.

By james3226 Updated Jan 10, 2007

We are spending three weeks at the resort (1/7-28) and it is fantastic! This is our fifth year and we love it. The staff is the most efficent and polite we have ever seen. If you want anything the front desk has it taken care of that day. All trhe details are included: daily maid service, humidifiers, wonderful down comforters, etc. The ski valet carries your skis to the gondola for you. Hot tubs, pool, fitness center, spa are all the best! The restaurant according to many is the best and most reasonable in Park City!

All the rooms are fully equipped and nicely furnished with leather sofas, comfortable beds, fully equipped kitchen, fireplaces, WiFi, etc.

We couldn't be happier with the resort and the skiing and golf are fantastic. The Canyons ski resort just adde a whole new area with seven expert trails and a new six pack lift. Something new is every year.

Westgate lives up to its reputation of being one of the finest resort managers in the USA. On a par with Marriott, Hilton, etc. We also own at Marriott Vail and Manhattan Club NYC and think Westgate The Canyons is the best!

By bill2059 Nov 27, 2006

This is a fantastic property in a fantastic location. Our family loves The Canyons and the size of the mountain is unbelievable. We have skied at many Colorado and Utah mountains, but feel The Canyons is the best. We stayed at the Sundial a few years ago, but liked Westgate much better. This is a timeshare property, but one of the nicest timeshares we have every visited. The rooms are wonderful, restaurant is very good, and the activities are varied. The ski valet is a great bonus. For the price, it would be hard to beat this location and resort.

By hawaiiker Updated Sep 16, 2006

I am an owner at this resort. I used it for the 1st time this year on Labor Day. I own a Marriott in Hilton Head & this can't compare to a Marriott. The people, housekeeping, the units themselves, just can't compare. Oh & you can bring your dog here! That's a bonus right there. I wouldn't trade this for anything.

By betha27 Jun 7, 2006

We have access to MANY timeshares and this is our favorite in Park City! After working out the glitches from the first year of occupancy, it has been superb in every way. The amenities are akin to a private, exclusive club. We return with high expectations, always fulfilled, time and again. A WONDERFUL, family-friendly resort. Beth S.

By don484 Jan 23, 2006

This is a beautiful resort. It is very expensive - $49,000 to buy a 2BR 1 week in snow season [excluding weeks 52, 1, and 3 which are at an even greater premium] - but offers a ton of services other resorts don't offer.

The ski valet is fantastic. The indoor/outdoor heated pool is very nice and never crowded. The hot tubs, unfortunately, can get crowded but are also very nice. The restaurants and deli are convenient. The gym is nice and never used. They offer dance classes and yoga and various other classes that are usually attended by small classes of 8 to 10 people, which is a nice size.

The Canyons is a great ski mountain with tons of terrain and all different levels of tree skiing. The only knock on the mountain is that it gets a little bit more sun than some of the other mountains and can see quite a large number of skiers. It’s best to hit the mountain hard before lunch if you plan on staying on the groomers.

All in all, this is a very nice resort. I wouldn’t buy at their current price, but I would stay here in a trade.

By brandir4 Jan 10, 2006

very clean and has a friendly staff

By roxana22 Jul 23, 2005

I just tried to buy a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom unit for 2 weeks of yearly use. Found a great deal, and waited for two months since the owners were from the UK mail took long. After all this Westgate took this deal over with their 1st right of refusal option. I know my purchase was a good deal, but I thought it was certainly bad customer relations from them to deny me an opportunity to become an owner when I had made a valid offer and definitely made a lot of effort to make it work long distance.

By richard1526 Jan 14, 2005

Beautiful resort. We've stayed at the Westgate Park City resort and Spa each of the last two winters, and it continues to be one of our favorite resorts. It has teriffic facilities with everything to offer, beautiful accomodations, and friendly and helpful staff.

By carolyn35 Jan 14, 2004

We stayed at this property for 2 nights in the fall and found it to be an outstanding property. It's ski in/ski out location couldn't be better. The amenities are complete with restaurant, convenience store, concierge desk, heated indoor/outdoor pool, game room, kids club, spa, gym, free underground parking - lots of fabulous amenities. We give this property 5 stars!

By expresso10 Updated Dec 24, 2003

Stayed in a 2 bedroom suite in December, 2003. Very nicely appointed suite with one Br lockoff feature. The master suite has a jacuzzi tub and a steam, sauna shower. My room was right next to the slopes at the Canyons. So close, I could hear the diesels engines of the grooming machines run all night. The rooms that are not slopeside, look out to a pleasant view of the valley below.

The decor was pleasing. Earthtone paint and carpet with attractive custom made fixtures suitable for a lodge environment. There was a nice tile floor and cabinets were maple with granite countertops. The kitchen was very well stocked. Everything you need except a sponge. Great set of knives. Coffeepot. Toaster. Microwave. Electric stove. Dishwasher. Very nice kitchen. I cooked in most evenings, and every breakfast.

The unit had a stacked washer and dryer with soap. Very convenient. TV with VCR. DVD player on request. Small balcony. Fiireplace. Leather sofa and loveseat. Very nice room.

The skier service department was well run. There's a locker room and a ski storage area near the slopes. They provide valet service and wheel your skies, boots out on a cart. I did not use this service since I skied Deer Valley which was only 10 minutes away. The front desk will arrange to shuttle skiers to either Deer Valley or Park City for the asking. Other areas further away like Snowbird or Alta are by private ski shuttle which costs $28.

There is a deli on site which was very convenient. I had the front desk arrange a shuttle down the hill to the local grocery store where I stocked up on one week's worth groceries. Still I used the Deli off and on. They were just adding a Pizza Hut when I left.

You do not need a car when staying in Park City. The airport shuttle to the resort costs $29 one way. There are also free city busses which run between all three resorts, and the main street shopping and dining area. The Westgate is located Very close to the outlet mall in Park City. A great place to buy outdoor gear, boots, etc. Also has a nice discount bookstore and standard outlet stores: gap, nike, liz clayborne etc.

The Canyons area is a little far out from the hub of Park City. However I would still stay there and relax in the comfort and convenience. Taking the shuttle over to the other areas was not a big deal. And Deer Valley allows you to store your skies and boots and the main lodge overnight for free.

By pemorgan Oct 9, 2003

While staying at Westgate Lakes in Orlando, Florida during Memorial Day Weekend in 2000, I attended their sales presentation (I was already an owner at Westgate Towers in Kissimmee, Florida). I agreed to lock-in the price for two years and purchase the right to use a week during that period.

At the time I considered purchasing additional timeshare ownership privileges, I lived in the Chicago area. Since that time, I moved to Oregon. For Memorial Day Weekend in 2002, we drove to Westgate at the Canyons, after spending a couple of hours in Wendover, Nevada.

The resort was nearly empty, as were the two adjacent resort complexes. Other than hiking, there was little to do at the Canyons during my stay. The unit was exceptionally nice, however, the pool was under construction, and CFI (the developer) did not make arrangements to use the pools at the surrounding resorts.

I believe this is a wonderful place to stay during the winter. However, the resort definately needs an activities director for the remainder of the year.

By algos23 Jun 20, 2003

Rude staff, and amemities that would be nice if they were open.

On the surface, this has everything one might want. *It's only on the surface* I have never been treated so poorly, or offended so much in my life!

By kyliec Updated Apr 18, 2003

Review posted for a RedWeek.com member:

MY WIFE AND I SPENT A WEEK IN WESTGATE,THE CANYONS, UTAH IN JAN 03. WE WERE THE FIRST ONES TO OCCUPY THE TIME SHARE, EVERYTHING WAS BRAND NEW!! ALL YOUR NEEDS FROM SKI RENTAL, SHOPS, RESTAURANT, EVEN A CONVIENENCE STORE ARE IN THE COMPLEX. THE STAFF WILL GRACIOUSLY TAKE CARE OF YOUR EVERY NEED, INCLUDING SKI TRANSPORT. THEY HAVE A LIMO SERVICE THAT WILL TAKE YOU AND YOUR SKIS TO ANY OF THE THREE RESORTS LOCALLY SITUATED. THERE IS ALSO AN EXCELLENT MUNICIPAL BUS SYSTEM THAT CAN DO THE SAME TOLL FREE. THE LIMO IS FREE ALSO BUT GIVE THEM A GOOD TIP. SOME OF THE DRIVERS CAN BE QUITE ENTERTAINING,GO, YOU'LL LOVE IT.

By shapse Jan 21, 2003

This is the newest and probably the best and most well appointed resort in Utah. It is truly 5 stars. Units are beautifully appointed: granite in the kitchens and stone tastefully applied. Units have a steam/shower plus two person Jacuzzi bath. Valet ski service where they walk your skiis to the lift! Great restaurant and very helpful staff. I could not ask for more.