The Westin Mission Hills Villas

Rancho Mirage, California

Timeshare reviews at The Westin Mission Hills Villas

Rancho Mirage, California

By yuvalg Updated May 19, 2016

A beautiful resort to spend some quiet quality time with the family.

We love the Palm Springs area, especially in the winter when it is still sunny and very comfortable.

The resort itself is well maintained with a very nice pool and it's own golf course.

By juliew376 Jan 5, 2014

Overall, the Villas are very comfortable, clean and quiet. The pool is nice and the poolside service is good but the spa/hot tub is too small for the facility. The restaurant did a nice job with lunch and breakfast (did not eat dinner there). The amenities at the hotel just up the path were very nice also - i.e. spa and golf course. However, the restaurant at the hotel did not live up to expectations.

There were problems with one specific person at the front desk who either didn't care about his job or was not well trained. The various mistakes he made during our stay were significantly annoying and caused a loss of stars.

This is a great facility for families with young children because it isn't super fancy but is very nice.

By j260 Oct 22, 2011

Just got back from our third stay here. This is a great place. Had a 2 bedroom lock-off. Plenty of room. Perfect for four, but can accommodate up to eight. Only little problem got fixed quickly, and we were given a $70 credit for our "inconvenience." I was sorry to see some activities at the pool missing, like music trivia. Plenty for kids to do. My only complaint is that the rooms need more natural lighting. Installing SolaTubes would brighten up the rooms. I hate to turn on lights during the day.

By williamp343 Aug 31, 2011
    By joel158 Jan 17, 2011

We exchanged a studio in Marriott's Beachplace tower for a 2 bedroom at Mission Hills. The unit was on the second floor, which is a problem for us because there was no elevator and we had heavy suitcases. But it was very large and comfortable. The master suite had two fireplaces and was tastefully furnished. The studio unit was actually a small one bedroom with a complete kitchen, a small living room, a full bath and a nice bedroom with balcony. Both units had a view of the golf course and the distant mountains. We found the amenities, particularly the adult pool, to be excellent. The staff was very well trained and friendly. The weather was very cold during our vacation (Jan 1-7) but we were still able to go hiking in the desert and to use the Westin resort's excellent heated pool and fitness center. The only drawbacks: parking was tight and we sometimes had to park in the spaces of another building. The toilet tank overflowed twice--both times an engineer came to fix it but could find nothing wrong. Finally, Westin's Mission Hills is rather far from the more interesting commercial and restaurant areas (Paseo in Palm Desert and downtown Palm Springs). It is surrounded by look-alike shopping centers with vast parking lots, chain restaurants and superstores. I don't need to come to Rancho Mirage to shop at Costco and eat at Taco Bell.

By susan506 Dec 30, 2010

We stayed here last Easter week. It was great!! The units were gorgeous. We stayed in a 2 bed unit. Even though we have younger kids, they loved having their own "living room and kitchen" to watch movies in (we liked not having to listen to Scoobie Doo...) The bathroom was huge, with a large jacuzzi (big enough for my 6'6'' husband), with a separate shower, toilet room, and double sinks, with, Westin robes. I liked the fireplace in the bedroom (and another in main living room) and the bbq on the deck. Kitchen was also great. Laundry was a breeze with 2 washers and dryers (one set each side), as I don't like driving home with dirty laundry. Beds were super comfortable, with nice black out drapes. Excellent units. My first choice for the Palm Springs area.

By karenb570 Updated Apr 25, 2010

I love this resort. My family has gone there several times. For use during the summer, it's hot, but the pools are so beautiful and the service wonderful. Our favorite food in the main restaurant are the banana pancakes. The grounds are so well kept. We have been owners since 2003.

By eugene237 Mar 8, 2010

My wife and I just returned from two weeks in a premium 1 bedroom unit, #4204. This Resort is #1 in all respects: beautiful, well kept grounds; clean, well equipped living units, except for antiquated crt tv's; "heavenly" beds and dressing gowns; free internet service; avaialble exercise and spa facilities; a number of pools; complimentry golf cart services to the far west side of the Resort; friendly, accommodating staff; centrally located to airport, casinos, and attractions and shopping! We would go back in a heartbeat!

PS: Traded my recently completly rennovated Seraton Vistana Cascades Resort unit in Orlando, (which I purchased for $450.00 plus $300.00 for closing fees), through Interval IInternational. Sure I can't get all the perks of SVO programs but I also didn't shell out $25,000.00 for the unit!

By jennifert209 Jan 3, 2010

We just returned from a short stay and had a great time as always. We have stayed here about 6 times and have always had a wonderful experience. After our first stay in 2006, we decided to purchase here and it has turned out to be a great decision for our family. We have not only returned to this, our home resort, just about every year since, but we have also gone to Harborside-Atlantis, St. John, Maui, Kauai and Orlando using our exchange in the Starwood Vacation Network. I have had no problem getting reservations as long as I have planned ahead and called in the beginning of the 8 month advance reservation window for reservations within the Starwood network. I have found that people that complain that they wasted their money or complain that they can't get reservations anywhere, just don't know how to use the program or think that they can call just a couple months in advance and get anything that they want - that is just not how timeshares work. We love it and have made some amazing family memories through the years and we are always excited about planning our next vacation every year.

By mcferrari Dec 13, 2009

We own two weeks of a 2 bedroom lockoff at the Westin Mission Hills in the Platinum season; we purchased them from Westin 5 years ago so we would retain the option to convert unused week to SPG points (an option that isn't available unless you purchase from Westin). We have used both weeks most of the past 5 years (converting to SPG points when we haven't used them). We love the resort. Outstanding pool and slide; great children's program at the pool. Units are very well appointed and maintained. Dining at the adjoining Westin hotel is a nice option. It is a true Westin experience. We have not had any problems getting the weeks we want, however we tend to reserve 10 to 12 months in advance.

By tracyv28 Updated Apr 27, 2009

For the most part I must say agree with jerrys244's review. we too have owned for 5+ years without being able to use the property. I will say we have been able to exchange using Interval International for some nice properties. My suggestion buy resale, buy cheap, buy with a low maintenance fee and exchange via Interval. There is truly no reason to buy through Westin, or even a Westin Property, the Bull the sales people tell you is simply to be scraped off your shoe when you leave the sales galery.

By jerrys244 Feb 5, 2009

I am an owner of a two bedroom lock-off, high season. In more than five years of ownership, I have never once been able to use this resort when I wanted. I ended up exchanging, usually through Interval International, for absolutely worthless properties. We usually left the exchange property early; once after only 2 nights. Although the Westin Mission Hills property is very nice, BUYER BEWARE. The maintenance fees are almost twice that of other comparable timeshares, and the expensive exchange to starpoints can be accomplished without the thousands of costs simply by using an AmEx card. Also, not all of the properties will accept these points all of time, which is contrary to their sales pitch. In summary, this was one of the worst "investments" I have ever made. My $30,000 unit can be purchased on eBay for $1250.

By marilyn311 Nov 14, 2008

Stayed at this resort 3rd week of Oct. 2008 in a 1 bedroom 4 person unit. Fabulous resort with all the amenities one could ask for. Rancho Mirage is the jewel or Beverly Hills of the desert. The resort was perfectly maintained, the staff friendly and helpful, the living space large and designer perfect. Granite counters in kitchen and bath, two fireplaces, full kitchen and fabulous bathroom with large glassed in large shower with two Westin heavenly bath shower heads. Our unit overlooked the golf course with a wonderful view of the mountains in the distance. Gorgeous pool at the villas (complete with water slide)and next door to a 5 star Westin Hotel with an equally fabulous large pool with another water slide. Complimentary golf cart shuttle service takes you back and forth from villas to hotel, but the short walk is even better than riding. Golf and tennis available and two very nice restauants on the premises plus pool side sandwich and snack bar. But what's even better was the upscale barbeque on our own private patio deck. An upscale grocery store less than a mile away proved to be wonderful for shopping for our own "eat-in" meals. You will not be disappointed in this resort! I'm told it is fast becoming a year round resort and the summer heat is not a problem so we will return in the early summer.

By jacquir Mar 27, 2008

Rooms starting to look a little "used". Housekeeping which was included in our stay was minimal. Parking a bit of an issue. Pool service and meals were good and lots of paths for walking. We had a room which overlooked the golf course but I wouldn't want to get a middle unit where your view is of other units.

By bc1849 Feb 21, 2008

Stayed for a week December 2007, what a great place. We had a 1 bedroom on the second floor overlooking the golf course and mountains. It was fabulous. The room was great, with the standard heavenly bed and what a bathroom. Beautiful 4 ft by 5ft glass shower, and jacuzzi tub. Definitely posh. It is not our home resort, but will definitely go back again.

By judy723 Feb 4, 2008

Stayed in a one bedroom premium unit. Found the unit to be very comfortable and more spacious than most one bedroom units. We especially enjoyed the bathrobes and two fireplaces. The resort is very spread out which is great for walking for exercise in the morning, but difficult for use of the main pools and restaurants--had to use the car. The staff was great. The activity program was weak. The resort is located by many stores, restaurants and golf courses. Access to major road was also good. We would definately like to return

By maryh229 Oct 16, 2007

This is my second stay here (girl's trip only this time). We were in building 48 at the end of the east villa pool. It was very quite, but we had no view from the second floor (building 47 has much better views fo the quieter pool and golf course). The very friendly front desk staff said we could have requested to be moved and I should have. They offered us a mid- week clean even though we were only going to be there for three nights! I stayed in a two-bedroom last time during spring break with the kids and extended family. The building around the creek 34-40 are great for kids with a grassy area (along with buildings 43 and 45). Golf course views are buildings 30-33 and 42/44/46.

The larger units have an oven and king size bed, but even the smaller units have a washer and dryer. There are BBQ areas for larger parties or for the smaller units that do not have one on their patios. Parking is tight, but they will take your bags to and from your room for you. We hope to return again for this spring break.

By pat455 Sep 18, 2007

Excellent, well-kept resort.

By deborah566 Jul 11, 2007

Our family of 5 stayed here twice and loved it. A few of the other reviews list the many benefits of this resort, so we won't repeat all that -- but we agree 100%. We didn't experience any of the problems mentioned in some of the other reviews, except for one issue: the Westin restaurants are very expensive. However, there are many other wonderful and reasonably priced restaurants in the area. Also, the lovely and fully equipped kitchen makes meal preparation simple.

By diane607 Apr 9, 2007

We stayed for a week in February 2007 & loved every minute of it! The larger 1 bedroom unit overlooking a fountain & pond area was massive, well-furnished and very comfortable. Nice added touch was gas grill on lighted balcony, great for those evenings you choose not to go out.

The resort itself is beautiful, especially the pools! Golf was great but punishing if you don't normally play all year round...lots of others to select from though. We had a few minor glitches early in our stay that were quickly addressed by housekeeping. I would stay again & recommend to anyone staying in the Palm Springs valley. The resort is very well located in the central part of the area.

By peterh25 Mar 9, 2007

Am at resort for our final night as I write this- traded in for one of my Marriott weeks- and we will depart tomorrow. I think this is a spectacular timeshare. Only complaint is that the front desk did not follow through on our request for additional maid servce (for a fee). Some days the ducks were a bit noisy early in the morning, but that was a small matter. Would gladly visit here again.

By mylesr Feb 19, 2007

We stayed for 3 nights in Feb 07. There are few dining options (one restaurant and pool snack bar) and a cab into Palm Desert restaurants is about $70 RT. There is no free hotel shuttle so plan on about $60 RT from the airport. Paths in the resort are very dark at night - my wife said she wouldn't walk alone. A nice place but is it worth the money? - doubtful.

By jenniferc190 Jan 29, 2007

We vacationed at the Westin Mission Hills Resort back in Sept 06. Parking was pretty unpleasant and the resort had bugs all over (desert bugs?). The pool was nice and the golf course view was beautiful. As mentioned by the previous review, I wouldn't pay $1,000 a year for the maint. fee. This resort is very large, expect a lot of walking and long waiting time for rides.

By robert668 Updated Jan 17, 2007

I am very surprised by the poor reviews given in the last few entries. We stayed in mid- january 2007 and stayed in the 2 BR villa. Very spacious and nice accomodations. We had stayed here two years ago and you can read my posting from that visit if you scroll below.

Last year we decided to stay at the Marriott Desert Springs Villas thru an II trade. It was nice, but the Westin was and is definitely nicer. The rooms are more spacious, and all the furniture and accessories in the rooms were much newer and upscale. The premises were also much better kept, very clean and resort like. We had no problems with housekeeping or cleanliness. This place was a lot cleaner than the Marriott out in this area.

Don't get me wrong.... we enjoyed the Marriott Desert Springs Villas also.... (I wrote a long review for the Marriott Desert Springs Villas that was very favorable) but we found the Westin to be much nicer with great service. We got our Heavenly cribs and high chairs right away. When we checked in the porter was quick to help move all our belongings as we brought LOTS of stuff, given that we have two very little kids.

The only bad aspect of our trip was that it was uncharacteristically cold during our stay. Oh... I also lost lots of $$$ at the casinos. The golf courses were frozen so play didn't start till about 9am each day. This is the same week that there was $1 billion damage to California crops. Bad timing, but even still we had a great time. Would've liked the chance to spend time in the pool though. The large whirlpool in the master bedroom was good enough however for my son. He also thoroughly enjoyed feeding the ducks and the little ponds and streams they have on site.

For those of you with little kids, the Living Desert (zoo) is a nice place to go. They have the most amazing model train exhibit. My son couldn't get enough of it. There is also a nice childrens museum called the Discovery Center in Palm Desert.

Anyways... I would definitely come back here again given the chance. We love it. I just wouldn't want to own here with the $1000+ annual maintenance fees. I guess thats what it takes to keep the place nice. Glad someone else is paying for it though.

Like I said... I'm very surprised by the poor reviews as our experience on two separate occasions was very good. We really love this place.

By tinat35 Updated Sep 27, 2006

We just came back from a weeks vacation. I had read so much and the photos are beautiful. We expected AAA profesional customer service like Marriott Newport, although speaking to the conciere was the highlight of their service. The rooms were clean and the Heavenly Bed was awesome! First impression, felt like I was in a condo complex. Nothing to get excited about. We enjoyed the long walks to the hotel and appreciated the hotel priveleges and shuttle. Overall we enjoyed ourselves and the little ducks too. We just expected so much more. I'm sure we'll come back again. I'm just glad I'm not paying $1000 annual maintenance fees for this place.

By ayse3 Updated Feb 20, 2006

They need plenty of training for customer care. Before checking in, we had requested a baby crib and it was not available upon our arrival. We did not get the regular mid week tidy up although we called to request it .. TWICE! Our room was clean in genereal, but I found a bottle under the bed,plastic wraps next to the toilet and the living room carpet was full of stains.The buildings are not sound proofed well, we could hear all our neighbors and some were very noisy. We appreciated the heavenly bed and also the luxurious bath robes. Maybe they treat their owners better.

By kevin1455 Apr 12, 2005

I stayed in the smaller of the one bedroom units. The unit was very clean and well appointed. 24 hour room service was a nice touch. In my opinion, the construction quality was not first rate though (the stucco, the thin doors, etc). The staff was quite young and did not display the professionalism that I have experienced at my home resort in Carlsbad. Parking spaces weren't always available right near the villa, either. The restaurant near the pool was quite good. Overall, a lovely resort but the staff needs much more training. I would go back if the price was right.

By rlk8509 Dec 12, 2004

One of the best resorts I've stayed at! First class all the way. I will go back when I get a chance

By jeff184 Nov 7, 2004

This place is top notch all the way from the service to the heavenly bed.

By jogeo May 21, 2004

Stayed in the 2-bedroom unit, which is the master bedroom, living room, dining area and kitchen and the lockoff unit which is a one bedroom unit with sitting area, small kitchen (two burners and microwave) and having washer dryer combination and dishwasher. Both units have balconies and the master unit had a barbeque on the deck. Depending upon the building in which you are situated parking can be a problem and you may have to walk 100 yards or more. There is a fringe area for parking around the perimiter and no one parks by their building unless you are located on the edge of the complex. Large units, well furnished but the construction of units is below grade for this type resort. You have full use of the hotel facilities, 3 other pools beside the large pool at the timeshare complex, as well as the tennis courts, exercise rooms, restaurants, etc. Pricey to eat here but this is a central location for area and very good and less expensive choices are available. This would rank in the top 3-4 resorts we have occupied and would return in a flash, oif available. Was able to trade my 1-bedroom at London Bridge Resort though Interval for this 2-bedroom unit.

By paul47 Updated Feb 18, 2004

02/2004 We did an exchange through Interval International. We had a one bedroom queen which is the smaller of the two units available and has a small kitchen. The kitchen had most everything you would need; like small dishwasher, cook top, blender, toaster, coffee pot and all basic silverware, pots and pans you would need. (We checked out the bigger one bedroom during a timeshare presentation and it has a King bed, Jacuzzi tub, BBQ on the porch, bigger living room with fireplace and a full kitchen).

You had to pay extra for daily maid service. We washed our own towels in the unit’s washer and dryer. There was also a vacuum in the closet. The villas has its own private pool area witch is very nice and you need your key to get into this area. This area is for villas owners/guests only, and can not be used by hotel guests. The cabanas are free and the pool and hot tub is open 24 hours. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

There are a number of great restaurants within a few miles of the Westin. I think the food at the resort was good but way overpriced.

The resort pushed us to go on the timeshare presentation. I don’t think it’s worth the $125 dollars you get for attending unless you’re really good at saying "NO". They aren’t looking for people that have a lot of knowledge of timeshares.

We really enjoyed the timeshare and will inevitably go back to this resort. We give it a 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

By jennifer107 Updated Jan 24, 2004

Villas are exceptional. Very kid friendly facility. While service is not as good as 4 seasons quality (our other timeshare) kid friendliness and the awesome unit designs make it still highly recommended. The master suite is to die for. I can't wait to go back there.

By rhalcomb Updated Jan 13, 2004

My family stayed here for 4 nights in early January 2004, and we had a large one bedroom unit. Overall a very nice and charming resort. This was probably our best time share exchange experience in 5 or so years of being time-sharers. It was exactly what we were looking for: a nice place to take our two toddlers to relax in the warm weather with none of the worries of home and work for a few days.

Our one bedroom was very large, with plenty of space. The unit was virtually brand new, clean and well-stocked with towels and cooking gear. Also was a DVD player—good for the kids videos that we brought. Relaxing patio (with a gas grill) overlooking the stream. Very comfortable bed (unusual in a time share). TV and fireplace in the bedroom, but we didn’t use either. Jacuzzi in the unit, big enough for the whole family! Huge bathroom. We had excellent service when we asked for a towel exchange and room cleaning mid-way through our stay, even though it was not on our designated day. The cleaning staff worked accomodated our kids’ nap schedules. The front desk staff were helpful and courteous. Provided a high chair, bed rails, and a crib for the kids. Also had strollers available, but we had our own. The amenities at the resort were very good. Surprisingly nice fitness center (with a better one available at the adjoining hotel). The heated pools (3) are really nice, especially the kids pool which is one foot deep—our two-and-a-half year old daughter loved it. Ice water and juice at the pools was also a nice touch. The grounds were immaculately groomed, and there are nice walking paths with scenic views of the golf course and the mountains. There is a landscaped stream running down the middle of the complex, which gives a soothing running water sound. Our daughter enjoyed feeding the ducks that hang out here. Two restaurants on site are a nice convenience, especially the Seasons (by the pool) for lunch, which was pretty good and inexpensive, and about 20 steps from our unit. Had dinner at the main restaurant in the hotel area one night—a little fancier, the food was very good and reasonably priced, with kid-friendly service.

This resort gets 4 stars from us, but we are very stingy with the fifth star and you gotta be perfect to get it. Only negatives of the resort are that it is a little remote from the main tourist sites, e.g. the living desert zoo and main part of Palm Springs. The parking lot is not planned very well, but still only a short walk. The washing machine was a little hard to figure out. The kids park was shut down (temporarily, it seemed)—our daughter really wanted to play on the slide. Also, some new construction blocked some of the walking paths, but I’m sure this is short term since the resort is not fully built yet. Anyway, the resort was very quiet, even with the construction—unless you were out walking, you wouldn’t know it was taking place. Lots of little service cars (used by cleaning crews, etc) at times zooming along the main path by the golf course—had to keep a close eye on the kids when out walking.

Overall, a wonderful resort. If we travel to the Palm Springs area again, we will definitely try to get into this place. Would love to be an owner of a unit since its one of the best I’ve seen.