Island Seas Resort

Freeport, Bahamas

Reviews of Island Seas Resort

Freeport, Bahamas

3.7

Have you been to Island Seas Resort lately?

By dorism54 Nov 2, 2014

Spent a week here in February 2014. The staff was wonderful. My flights got cancelled and I was able to get another night at a very reduced rate. We return every couple of years in February or March and are never disappointed. The resort could use an update but the staff and surroundings make up for it. The resort was almost full but never feels crowded. A great place to relax.

By michelles553 Updated Sep 8, 2014

Just returned from a vacation at Island Seas Resort, 8/23/2014. The resort is going downhill. Horrible beds, screws in door falling out, sliding doors don't open, blinds won't close, guess managment does not want to pour money into the resort. Kicked the Conch Man out, guess he was making too much money and the restaurant resort was not. Horrible service at Coconuts. More aggravation than relaxtion at this resort. It was not a vacation. Will never go back.

By ajdru Feb 22, 2012

Since first staying at the Island Seas in 1998, I have simply loved the resort, the people who make you feel so welcome, the ocean breezes and white sandy beaches, the yummy umbrella drinks and so much more! Island Seas Resort is an ideal location for a relaxing tropical get-away. Put it on your "must do" list!

By pdm228 Apr 28, 2008

Just got back from my week at Island Seas (4/18-4/25). The resort is very nice, the daily maid service is rare for timeshare. The units were clean and nicely furnished. The resort was great with the beach and ocean right there. We snorkeled right from the beach. Parasailing, jet skiing right at the resort (many other activities that we did not participate in). Lots of families so my kids had others to play with. Happy Hour; Daily 2 for 1 from 4 to 6. Daily bus to Port Lucaya was a bonus. Would definately reccommend.

By ray85 Oct 10, 2006

The resort is beautiful. However, ocean front rooms are definitely in the miinority. There is only 1 building out of the complex that is beach-front. Some of the other buildings have a beach view, and some of the buildings have a courtyard/pool area view.

There will be construction going on during the 2006-2007 time frame. They try and minimize construction noise, roped off areas, and obvious construction issues as much as possible, but it is there. Not necessarily unpleasant, but it's difficult to enjoy a peaceful margarita when there is a backhoe working 60-70 yards away. Note again - more construction is planned for future expansion, so this may be an issue for several more years.

Do be aware of buying there. There is a cancellation clause hidden in the middle of a 'fact sheet'. Basically, even if you cancel within the allowable time frame, it is still going to cost you about $1200-$1400 minimum (if you stay only 2 nights). The sales people do not go over this in any detail, and the contract does not list prices for the items you will be charged for. So basically, it's like giving them a blank check. Be forewarned.

I realize the need to review items closely before signing, so I've paid my money and learned a lesson. But they do a good job of glossing over the downside of a cancellation and never provide the costs of doing that.

Also, note the contract expires - it is NOT permanently deeded like many time shares.

The personnel are nice. Sales folks are kinda pushy, but that's the norm for most sales folks on commission.

Grounds are well-kept, beach is groomed daily, the on-site restaurant/bar is pricey.

By sparktrician Updated Mar 4, 2005

Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They forced us into buying here we were at another place this place was nicer and they told us to come and stay that the other place was a sister resort so when we finally said yes and checked out of the other place they told us we had to pay or buy so we had no choice. We bought and when we got back to the states we informed the state attorney's office becuase they are located out of FloriDA. We were able to desolve our contract and they were put on a list. Very pushy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By sandie1379 Jun 25, 2004

This resort is located on the beach, which our

HUGE timeshare( that is for sale) happens to

be facing. Beautiful night air/ and a lovely

balcony to enjoy it on! The Resort crew of the

Island Seas will ensure your understanding of their property that includes Jacuzzi' and

swimming pools. You really dont have to leave

the resort to enjoy your trip as everything you

need is pretty much there!

Island Seas performs an incredible overview of

your week, makes suggesstions as to what

trips are a "must", the 1st time vacationing in

Mexico. My Husband and I were never so

welcomed and included in so many events-it

was outstanding! As there are so many other

properties attathed, there is no way to miss

ANYTHING from home.

THANKS ALOT FOR THE EXPERIANCE!

Mr. & Mrs. Dallaire

By m241 May 27, 2004

We stayed for 12 days. Using a members timeshare has many advantages including discounts on snorkling, drinks and tours. It also allows you to take the 'member' bus to the grocery store (otherwise you have to rent a car or take a taxi - both likely cost about $50). Members (or their guest) do not have to pay the state tax of $15 per day per person. Staff is extremly friendly. The one bedroom unit we had was clean - it was upstairs which means it has an open ceiling plan - so the bathroom is the only 'room' that has a ceiling, this can be problematic if you want to use the hide-a-bed or if you get up/go to sleep at differnt times than your spouse. If you are going to be there for a week and want to cook most of your meals, I'd suggest going to Solomon's rather than the WinDixie - Solomons is like a Costco/Sam's Club but there is no membership fee. Also, the Travelers Rest - a local bar, has great meals and friendly staff and is a great deal - I highly suggest the snapper with the head-on, its great!

By evonne4 Apr 25, 2004

I give this resort 4 stars only because it was somewhat secluded and I didn't have an ocean front room. I loved the 2nd floor room. It was beautiful, spacious, and had a nice view. I would love to stay there again.

By fhunkeler Apr 2, 2004

Quiet & relaxing, Friendly Staff, Snorkeling from the beach on flat reef. Long beach great for walking. outdoor restaurnat on site, pool with waterfall and swim up bar, 2 for 1 happy hour.

By clint8 Updated Feb 24, 2004

I liked my stay at the Island Seas. The unit had a full kitchen and was decorated nicely. The 2 & 3rd floor units all have a nice sized balcony. The staff was friendly, but SLOW. A 40 minute wait after being seated before the waiter/waitress comes to your table is SLOW. The maid service was every other day was good. I really enjoyed partying in the hotpool in the evening. I think that other resorts could look at the way they did their pools. The hotpool overflows as a waterfall into the central of 3 lower pools. This allows for pools of varying temps, very nice. The beach was excellent. There were several persons that had been "upgraded" from a downtown Freeport (sister) hotel that were just livid because they hadn't been informed about all the extra charges. Very high presssure by the condo sharks. Just a couple things if you are thinking about staying here. 1: Try to get a second or third floor unit, since the walk goes directly next to the bottom units and the views are better. 2: You will be a LONG way from town, so be plan on a couple $100 for taxis. 3: Everything, except rum on Grand Bahama is expensive, ie $40 a case for beer.

By larry124 Feb 2, 2004

We were at Island Seas resort for new year 2004 (Dec 28 - Jan 4 ) Had a wonderful time. The beach was clean the rooms were kept up daily with fresh towels and trash dumped. The staff was almost friendly to a fault, couldn't ask for more. So we bought there and I only had 2 things to report that dissapointed me, they told me about them renting the condo for me and I don't like the "pool rental system" I think it should be first person to put in then first room to rent all the money should go to that person, But its pooled and if they only rent 3 units they split the money with "?" number of people... and the other thing was the bed we had was very soft. But all in all the experince was wonderful. Things were expensive, yes, but that is the cost of everything, not just for the vacationers but even for the locals too. Go, have fun, be nice to the locals and you'll get it back by two.. :-)

By davidreazor Apr 11, 2003

Island Seas Resort is new (started 1997) and the grounds are kept very well. The two bedroom condos have two baths, full kitchen and are roomy. The one bedroom is the same size, execpt one bedroom and bath. They are on the beach and have a pool which is mostly for cooling off versus swiming. Owners are not charged for beach towels or chairs (same goes if you rent from an owner). There is a bar/restarant which is good, but not exeptional. The resort is quiet and between Freeport and Port Lucaya. They have a small exercise room and store on location. There also is a free laundry which the guest may use. We enjoyed our stay there and there are two dive operators close by. Once a week they provide a free shuttle to/from Winn-Dixie for grocery shopping and free shuttle to/from Freeport during the day. They are reworking some of there setups as they learn from their guests what does and doesn't work. We found the staff very friendly and helpful

By wdemba Updated Dec 18, 2002

I stayed in the Island Seas Resort from December 6 - 12, 2002 on a RCI timeshare exchange. Although somewhat secluded, it was still easily accessible to Port Lucaya by taxi or city bus. The one-bedroom unit on the beach was reasonably spacious and had the expected equippage for a timeshare exchange resort. The ocean water was nice (approx. 75 degrees F.) and the scuba diving was great. A great "laid-back" place to get away from it all and relax.

Conversely, I was somewhat dismayed with the costs associated with absolutely everything that you want to do at the resort. They had charges for extra packets of sugar for the coffee in your own room, a fee for cashing travelers checks at the front desk, high telephone usage fees, etc. Also, prior to my arrival, I sent two e-mails attempting to confirm my reservations. Both were ignored. I had to place an international telephone call to get verbal confirmation. Basically, everything in the Bahamas is high and the locals are generally rude!