Timeshare reviews at Club Casa Dorada Beach & Golf Resort (Dreams)

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

By barbaram586 Mar 8, 2011

My family and I love it. My nine year old daughter thinks the explorer's club is the best. We've been going here for years. Usually at Easter time. The Easter Bunny flies in on a small plane which lands on the beach. Then he hops on an ATV and distributes prizes to all of the kids. The entertainment staff is amazing. When was time you saw the Easter Bunny fly in on a plane? The staff is also great with keeping the adults laughing with their evening shows. Every night there is a different themed show. I personally like the Pirate show.(Arrrrh!)

The inclusive package includes all drinks, snacks and room service 24/7. I especially love their Japanese restaurant. My husband likes the Italian restaurant. My daughter likes the breakfast buffet, she can feed her banana's to the resident iguana's. Because the prices are so reasonable we actually don't mind going out to dinner in town a couple nights.

The location is great, it's not far from either downtown Cabo or San Jose. The rooms are huge and clean. The beach on the premise is not swimable but the whales and seals don't listen, they're out there all of the time. One morning I was actually awoken by the sounds of fish jumping in and out of the water.

By clintp5 Updated Nov 18, 2010

Update November 2010...still lots to like here, but i am lowering my star rating. We used the newer pool by the newer wing this year, a calm and relaxed atmosphere versus the frenetic main pool with pounding music, constant activities, party atmosphere, etc. The entire older area looking a little shopworn and could use some work, especially the driveway entry stone pavement and much of the stone flooring in the halls. Virtually all the nice "freebies" are gone: no more afternoon tea, cookies or apples, or morning coffee. We did not use all inclusive, but heard comments from several couples that the best stuff they had was guacamole and chips and club sandwich, not exactly a ringing endorsement for the food. we did enjoy a nice breakfast buffet, about $17 per person, pretty normal for resort pricing in cabo.

still one of the best locations, directly between the cities and easy drive to the Sheraton Golf Club which has a great breakfast and lunch along with a spectacular view...or to Cabo Real golf course snack bar, probably one of the best places around to watch the sunset , a real hidden gem (can't see the arch, however), and downtown San Jose with lots of great restaurants. The timeless architecture stands this place in much better stead than some places in the area which have gone modern. Lobby bar still has a great view and nice breeze. Last year they had the firepit lighted every night, this year not a single time, probably a money saving effort.

Some lack of attention to detail a little distracting, there was no corkscrew or kitchen knife in our room, and icemakers were inoperative on all floors in our wing, thus had to use room service for ice and to open wine. the ice makers did not work the entire week. Preferred Hotels needs to put some cash into maintenance here, considering what they are charging per room...guests don't expect to pay top dollar and then experience inoperative convenience items.

By jackg81 Apr 18, 2010

My wife and two children stayed there March of 2010. Food was very good for an AI and accommodations were very nice, large rooms, very nice (Soft Beds) and very clean. I was recovering from a broken ankle and appreciated the room service, service at the pool and " service laying on the beach" first place I have stayed with stayed where they would bring you lunch, drinks, towels or blankets to you on the beach.

I liked the fact that you did not have to make restaurant reservations, just show up and if if you could not walk right in, they gave you a a pager to wait at the bar with. We enjoyed the adult atmosphere unlike downtown Cabo spring break environment.

We will definitely be back and out of the 7 resorts we have stayed at in mexico would rate this the best so far for food, accommodations and value. The beach is beautiful but not swimable, there are rouge waves that hit every so often that will wash you away.

By greggc17 Oct 26, 2008

My wife and I have owned our unit here for 10-yrs. The place has become our Thanksgiving Week get away for 8-yrs. We have never purchased the AI package, because we shop in town and prepare our own meals. We love the resort, its location is close enough and far enough from the action to make it a totally romantic week for us. Occasionally we wil bring family members who have children and they love the resort because it is family friendly.

All-in-all, we have always had a wonderful time staying at the resort.

We own other timeshares, but this one we keep on returning to over and over--it's our favorite.

By quaker_ttd2 Sep 12, 2008

We stayed at this place in March of 2006. Food is very good for an AI and they provided top-self drinks if you asked for it by brand. Good entertainment and excellent tennis program. My 6 years old daughter loved the explorer's club. Getting to the town was a breeze either by bus or by the free shuttle available from the resort.

By perditab2 Updated Aug 6, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Dreams Casa Dorado during the week of July 21, 2008. The resort has been fully renovated and was an excellent choice for celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary. The service was excellent and the resort staff sent us a fruit basket for our anniversary.

Our unit was a one bedroom sleeps 4 and was on the top floor with a spectacular ocean view. The suite was beyond our expectations. We ordered room service every morning for breakfast and the food was hot and tasty.

The food and service was very good and our waiter by the pool, Jose, even remembered my drink and food orders from the previous days. The drinks are watered down a little but ask for an extra shot of liquior and they will accomodate. Try the mango majioto, yummy...yummy! We ate at all four of the restaurants and were were not disappointed.

The resorts offered a lot of activities during the day water aerobics, kids club, games etc. and at night movies by the pool, bar hopping tours lots of other activities. You can either be very active or lazy,it is your choice.

My husband and I have owned our timeshare for over thirty years and this by far is the best timeshare we have stayed in. What we liked is that the timeshare is part of an hotel and we had all the ammenities of the hotel. I also had a massage in the spa which was wonderful.

The only thing I did not like is that Casa Dorada's beach is not swimmable.The undertow is very strong but you can take a 20 minute walk to the Hilton where you can swim in the ocean.

We liked the resport so much that I will be booking a trip there for my 31st Anniversary.

By frank848 Aug 14, 2007

We have stayed here 4 times -- the staff is excellent and the concierge always has great recommendations for dinner in Cabo or San Jose. The resort accomodations are excellent, always in great shape. An excellent, quiet place to relax.

Golf is excellent - although a bit steep in season.

A rental car is very helpful - but have it delivered to the hotel - airport taxes are not worth it.

Santa Maria beach is best swimming beach.

By normr4 May 13, 2007

Nice quaint resort perfect for relaxing and sun bathing. Very friendly staff will keep you fed and full of liquids while you spend the day on the beach. Excellent restaurants for evening fare.

By kippandbill Jan 19, 2007

very clean resort. very friendly staff. not one time share pitch in 5 days. chose the all inclusive and really enjoyed the 4 star food. ate at the italian restaurant 3 nights. beautiful setting. fished half day and caught a 50 lb dorado, plus other fish. resort is isolated but that is what we were looking for. stayed between xmas and new years

By brooke133 Mar 10, 2006

THIS IS DREAMS! Do not be confused by the name. Confusing to find info on internet, you never get a straight answer.

Completely average resort. Pales in comparison to surrounding resorts as far as grounds. Expect large convention groups to take over hotel. Most staff is very friendly, some have an attitude if you do not tip if you are AI. Staff is very loud at night removing all the items from these nightly group parties--very late. Food is good, not a large selection. Drinks are watered down.

By graceber Dec 7, 2005

We stayed here in a one bedroom Thanksgiving week. I would not rate this as a Gold Crown.The unit was large but no kitchen to speak of - just a micro, mini fridge and 2 malfunctioning burners. The grounds were lovely, but the pool was not heated and the jacuzzi was dirty. Food was poor quality, poor selection, terrrible slow service and outrageously expensive. C'mon $15 for a six pack of bottled water, $20 for a plain burger? We would not go back, would not recommend.

By m137 Feb 16, 2005

We stayed in the new section in November 2003. WE love the hotel and the location. The food at the restuarant left a lot to be desired... which is our only complaint. Breakfasts were good and lunch too... but the buffet dinners were balnd and over priced. The time share sales pressure was not heavy handed nor very long. (There is a large secondary market which offers better prices). We made an low offer on a luxury room with a floating week and it was rejected. Upon returning home I found a popular fixed week on a presidential suite for a much lower price. Of course, it was only for 24 years, not 28... but that is more than enough for me!

By drjamiebarney Updated Apr 14, 2004

Our family of five stayed in a two bedroom unit the week of April 5th, 2004. This is a great resort in a beautiful part of the world. We liked Cabo better than Cancun or Puerto Vallarta. The beach is gorgeous but the undertow makes it un-safe for swimming. However, there are two nice pools. The staff was friendly and hard working. We were able to reject the time share presentation with little discussion.

Rooms were spacious with a master bedroom (king bed), a central living area with a sofa bed and a lock-off bedroom with two full size beds. The kitchen is very small. We did minimal cooking in the room but hit Costco for breakfast and lunch items as well as beverages. The food at the two restaraurants is good but expect U.S. resort prices there and in Cabo.

We opted not to rent a car ( a mini-van for the week would have been $700!) which worked out well. The resort has a free shuttle (limited times per day). The bus was actually a good option (for $1/person) and cabs were always available for $10-$30 one way. The resort is located mid-way between Cabo and San Jose in a more quiet resort area. Cabo is only 20 minutes away.

The golf was out of this world! But it is very pricey. My advice is to book twilight rates.

We booked our week through Gracie Egan on RedWeek. She was very helpful and easy to work with.

I would highly recommend this resort and the Cabo area in general. We can't wait to go back.

By carole65 Apr 7, 2004

We adored this place! The lobby has no ceiling--just palm trees reaching up to the sky-- and you look straight through the lobby out to the ocean. It has one of those "infinity" pools and a stretch of beach to walk that is quiet and unpopulated. Big waves. The bus into town is free and runs every hour. The decore of this hotel is stunnung and very mexican with big antique mexican furniture everywhere. I had a massage out on the beach and that reminds me---you should see the hammocks stretched out on the beach. There is a fantastic spa right on property. Go into nearby Cabo de Jose for dinner to find mexican restaurants with fabulas atmosphere & good prices. Can't wait to go back!!!

By steven112 Feb 14, 2004

We stayed here in October of 2002. It is a beautiful resort with wonderful restaraunts and an elegant spa. The health club is well equipped and has a beautiful view. Though we were asked to sit through a presentaiton for ownership, they were gracious with no high-pressure tactics. At the time we stayed here, they were building another wing onto the property and it was a bit noisy and dusty. That being completed, I definitely would stay here again.

By expresso Jan 5, 2004

Beautiful and luxurious if isolated resort on El Corridor. Need a car to enjoy the area or take their shuttle to Cabos San Lucas to their Melia Hotel. Beach is beautiful but not swimable. recommend you drive to Bahia Chileno for swimming or snorkeling. Infinity pool is wonderful. On-site restaurants are very pricey (average $35 per person) and I do not believe their Mexican Fiesta is worth the high price. Sometimes tap water runs out (desalinization source) in afternoon, but not too much of a problem. Marble floors, ocean views, satellite TV. Gym and spa on site. Horseback riding and golf nearby.

By chistuc Jul 14, 2003

This resort is part of the Melia Los Cabos, the other Club Casa Dorada Spa & Golf Resort at the Hilton. I had a studio unit with a wonderful view of the pool and Sea of Cortez. The restaurants are extremely expensive, as are the taxis to town. The resort is very clean and the staff helpful. I spent most my time laying by the pool with frequent trips into the beautiful pool. Took the local bus to Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, alot cheaper (90 cents). Resort is a 5 Star with the area a 5 Star.

By assetback Jun 25, 2003

Wonderful new resort on the "hotel strip" outside of Cabo. Affiliated with the Hilton property attached, great restaurants, beautiful swimming cove and wonderful pools. A short trip to town and golf.

On our last day, watched whales from the restaurant over breakfast. A real relaxing resort. Very happy to have bought here. Looking forward to going back this year.

By donandlisam Jun 3, 2003

We loved this place! RCI would not recommend it for some unknown reason, but we traded into it anyway.

The location (for us) was perfect...just far enough out of town not to be bothered by the constant assault of beach vendors, but close enough to go in for dinner, activities whenever we liked (we had a rental car, but they also have a free shuttle). There are water sports, etc. just down the beach and there is an awesome ATV Park just across the street.

It is a very laid back atmosphere with a fantastic pool and beach. The hammocks on the beach were the best! The staff was unbelievably friendly and responsive.

We had a 1BR (king + pull out sofa, #606) that was very large, had two balconies, and was really quite beautiful! It was on the top floor so it had vaulted ceilings, etc.

They do ask you to sit through a presentation, but they are very generous...we got: $100 in rental car credit (cash), $50 at a restaraunt of our choice, and a sunset significant discounts on practically any activity in cabo...On top of that, they were very accepting of "No" in the presentation...although it might not be a bad place to pick up on the secondary market!

By hytran Jan 23, 2003

Luxurious amenities; great pools; nice beach; great kids program.

By beaver98333 Nov 16, 2002

Excellent pool and poolside service is great.

All of the golf courses are in great shape and

very challenging. The hotel restaurants are

good and because it is out of town a little bit it

felt a little more relaxing to us.