preview the new redweek.com!

Ocean Beach Club Reviews

Reviews of Ocean Beach Club in Virginia Beach, Virginia, posted by RedWeek members.

Member Reviews
  • User: davidk409
  • Updated: Aug 14, 2011

The earlier reviews are mistaken. The barclay towers or beach quarters is not equal to or above ocean beach club. I have stayed at all three over the years. OBC is in another class above them.

• Overall Rating: 4 out of 5
  • User: joanrc

Nice units but small. Oceanfront and corner units have nice views. However, if you don't get an ocean view unit, you overlook Atlantic Avenue--no good view. Be prepared to pay for parking ($7.00/day), safe ($1.00/day), internet access ($29.95/week). Towel exchange once during week and they count EVERYTHING. They were reluctant to even provide another trash bag (only one was provided for the week). Great location on beach and looks like a boutique hotel. Checkin was a little hectic, but otherwise staff was very accommodating. Don't plan on easy upgrade. We exchanged our Marriott Hilton Head unit. We did get an ocean view, but the desk clerk said she was surprised. Date of visit: Mar 21-28, 2010

• User: mc121

This is a beautiful building- definately one of the nicest and newest on VA Beach, and it's the nicest Interval Resort we've stayed at. The building has changed a lot in the past 2 years, as a new wing, new indoor pool, and gym have been added. The older (3 years old) half of the building has private balconies, while the newer half (north side) has some balconies that look into other units' bedrooms- definately a weird feature, but the units themselves are a little bigger so I guess it evens out. The location is right on the beach and can't be beat.

• User: dand178

me and my family just vacationed at the Ocean Beach Club for the first time and we loved it. We vacation in VA Beach manily every year but this place will have us returning more often. The pools are great especially for young children because both sides of the one pool statr at 1' and go down to 4' from there. The tiki bar was great and the food there was good as well. Perfect for a mid day snack or lunch. We hardly had to drive anywhere from this location because you are surrounded by good resturants everywhere for any meal of the day. The excersize room was one of the best I have seen for a hotel like setting and I travel a good bit for work. The staff was more than accomodating with any of our requests. ONE THING I CAUTION IS HOW SOME RENTERS LIST THEIR PROPERTIES! We rented what was listed as OCEANFRONT ROOM until we arrived at the resort. It was listed OCEANFRONT but for the entire week we looked out at Atlantic avenue and there was nothing the resort could do because we rented from an owner. We paid the top price for an oceanfront room but did not get what we paid for when we arrived. Be certian who ever you rent from is being honest with you so you do not get let down like we did.

• User: maryb752
  • Updated: May 6, 2009

We just stayed at the beautiful Ocean Beach Club wk of April 10, 2009. We stayed in unit 1805, on the 18th floor (fortunately, the 4 elevators are very fast--I think the one review that complains about having only 2 may be talking about another similarly-named resort? She also complained about lack of exercise rm etc--she's GOT to have the wrong resort). From the time we pulled up & were thoroughly spoiled by the attendants (who worked smilingly with everyone we saw, with or without a tip & none of that awful obvious expectation some have--just seemed glad to help), through a welcoming and quick check-in, to the surprise of our gorgeous top-floor 2br/2ba unit, we were absolutely delighted. I've never been enamored by exercise rooms, but this one is top-notch & the view just takes your breath away--extensive glass walls on 3 sides give you a view of the ocean & beach that goes on & on.

There's a plasma TV & lots of seating in the living room. Each of the two bedrooms has its own TV & DVD player (which I discovered to my delight also played my music CDs!). Two full baths + jacuzzi tub/shower. Double sinks! All marble countertops in bathrms & kitchen. The main unit has a long table in eating area, full kitchen with all dishes/pans & full-size appliances (I do recommend bringing a non-stick frying pan as theirs are all stainless steel), toaster, coffee pot, towels, drainer, dishwasher, disposal, stove/oven, full size refrigerator w/ice maker, even a blender! The lockoff also has a full bath (plus minifridge, sink, dishes etc for 2). Everything was clean, even to this germ-freak who brings bleach with her to every hotel. :) We enjoyed the lovely view; even tho it was a view of the city, from the top floor it was still beautiful. :) We enjoyed the ocean view for free from the exercise room, & walking out the front or side door of the resort deposits you in the middle of palm trees & ocean views. The hotel is RIGHT on the beach. They thought ahead to leave just enough space between beach & hotel for a lovely heated outdoor pool with tiki bar & seating among lovely greenery & bushes (even a fire ring). Some of our days that week were cool & windy, so the fire ring was fun & we met new people even before the gorgeous sunshine later. There are stunning views everywhere. It just brings rest to the soul. :)

The beach is wide, clean, and lovely. Seating, boardwalk, and all the food we tried was great (we cooked in, too, to economize). We highly recommend both the elegant (but pricey) "Catch 31" restaurant, as well as the ordinary-looking "Pelon's Baja Grill" Mexican restaurant on Pacific/37th Sts, 2 very short blocks from the hotel. From the fresh, tasty salsa to the guacamole it seems to be all home made & was especially delicious.

We found we could relax or play, find action or peace--whatever we wanted--and always with beautiful views. We've had to put our unit up for sale to pay for college expenses, but actually staying there instead of trading it on II almost changed our minds. We would keep it if we could.

• User: kimberlym179

This is the second time my husband and I have been there and we've loved every minute. The staff are very friendly and efficient. They have a great bar and pool area right on the beach. The view is fantastic. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The best part is the paved boardwalk that runs the entire length of the beach. There are stores, restaurants, and sites all along this path that you can walk, run, or bike on. It's a great place to stay while you do the multitude of activites in the Virginia Beach area.

• Overall Rating: 2 out of 5
  • User: lanitap

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Well where to begin. We made reservations with Interval International (our first experience with them) for a room at this resort that sleeps 2 private and 4 maximum. We called while on the way and no one picked up the phone. We showed up to check in on Friday at 12am after a 4 hour drive and working all day. We were checked in by a front desk attendant named Gabriel, and when we saw a room we were stunned as it was a hotel room (actually smaller) with a nice balcony and ONLY a king sized bed, and by the way … THE COMFORTER ON THE BED HAD A BLOOD STAIN ON IT! (oh, I got the pictures to prove it too!) Ok, we looked at our reservations and said, “No Way does this accommodate 4 people). We were at least expecting 2 double beds. So we go to the front desk, show our paperwork and tell Gabriel that there must be a mistake. He stated “I don’t believe that your room only has a king sized bed, all of the C rooms have doubles”. I asked him “Are you calling me a Liar?!” He said, “Well no, its just that I know all the C rooms have doubles, I am going to have to go see this for myself.”

I was in shocked disbelief, as I have traveled extensively, in Timeshares and hotels and in all of my 39 years have never been called an outright liar, and never had someone have to physically verify I was telling them the truth. So he follows me and my husband up the elevator to room 1806C, and I told him “You better give me one heck of an apology when you VERIFY that I am not a liar!”. When he gets in and checks he say’s “Oh I am so sorry. I just knew that this had double beds”. Oh but now it gets even worse. He tells me he has to call the night manager to see what to do about our room. He then tells us that the night manager said he can put us in another room, but WE MAY HAVE TO PAY $149 for the night. I told him that “Her answer is not satisfactory as it is now 1:30am in the morning, my kids are awake, we can’t go to sleep and I have been called a Liar, then told that I may have to pay for my room. You need to get on the phone with her and come up with a solution to get me a FREE room tonight and we will figure the rest out on Sat. when I wake up!” He then called her and assured me that I would not be charged for my room.

Ok, the Good, the next morning the day manager gave us a $75 dinner certificated for Catch 21, and upgraded our room to a 1 bedroom suite. I must admit that all though they rectified the mishap of Friday, it put a sour taste in our mouth for the rest of the trip.

Pros: The resort upon first inspection is definitely one of the best looking compared to others, with a comfy lobby with a flat screen TV. The 1 bedrooms sleep 5 comfortably and the ocean views are fantastic. Our first room appeared clean, until we pulled back the comforter to see a blood stain, and I smelled it and it didn’t smell clean. However, our 2nd room was in tip top shape. The kitchen was fully equipped . The outdoor pool over looks the beach and is heated. The 1 bedroom had a huge flat screen. Its directly on the boardwalk and a short walk to the beach. You also have use of all the amenities at the Hilton, which was a nice surprise (you can use the gym and the business center at the Hilton). They also have 2 floor penthouse suites.

Cons: Customer service is hit or miss. Its like a hotel, but they are trying to sell it as a Timeshare. None of the amenities onsite that you would expect (like gym, computer center, etc). They are still in construction so parts of the building are roped off, and its noisy. However, when its done they will have an indoor pool (which they don’t have know) and a kiddie pool.

VA Beach: I love the boardwalk!!! We rented a family bike and rode up and down it and it was so fun. We also went to the movie theatre there which was new and modern. There are tons of activities, live bands on the boardwalk. There is a playground on the boardwalk, water sports, an aquarium, and great restaurants.

I would say before you go verify the room you are going to get, check the comforter to see if its clean, and enjoy VA Beach.

• User: davidb455

Stayed at this resort about 1 month ago. Enjoyed it very much. Room was nice and well kept. Could have used more dishes/silverware, but it wasn't a big issue. Location is great! Staff were friendly and very helpful. Resort needs more elevators as two is not efficient for a buiding this size. They said they are adding more. We exchanged through II to get this resort and would do so again. All in all a very good vacation.

• User: bradleyq

Just returned from a week at this resort. We appreciated the staff. They were very helpful, but the facilities were disappointing. We stayed in a one bedroom unit and it was very small. The living room carpet was frayed. The bed was small. The DVD was hooked into the bedroom TV, not the living room TV. We never used the DVD all week. The pool is extremely small. There are only 2 elevators for the entire facility. There were long lines at the elevators. We were surprised at being hit with a daily safe fee, a safe we never used. There were no chairs on our balcony. We've been to many timeshare resorts and this was probably the worst. They could do better at such a beautiful location.

• User: farono

I own as well at this resort and have been very pleased with it. This is owned by Gold Key Resorts and I have owned at three other of their resorts over the years. I do not know of anyone that might not have a small glitch or concern while staying at a 5 star resort throughout a week, but each and every concern that I have had over the years has usually been adressed and corrected almost immediately. I recently stayed here with my adult children and their spouses and had a great time. I like the fact that the second bedroom is separated and has a seperate entrance. I did have a concern about the construction noise and they quickly addressed my concerns and had the workers start later in the day near our unit while we were out at the beach. This resort is at the northern end of the beach that is quieter and nicer. Do your homework on timeshares and resorts and you can not go wrong with this resort. The time to purchase here is now as they are adding two more phases and the equity will only raise as well as the value and ammenities of this resort.

• Overall Rating: 2 out of 5
  • User: deborahh111

Just returned 7/29/07. Very disappointed. First time at VA Beach and in this Condo. Room wasn't ready on time and had us confused with another couple at registration. No DVD hook-up in the main living area (an absolute necessity with teens) Had to watch DVD in bedrooms only (try craming 10 of your closest friends and family members in your bed to watch a movie! Manager and engineer tried to make me look like an idiot telling me the flat screen wasn't equiped for a DVD player and I'm standing there looking at the connections on the side of the TV. Absolutely refused to try and accommodate us in this area. Only 2 elevators for about 100 rooms-might as well have a drink in the bar and wait! No internet use after 10 pm and hard getting connected and keeping a connection-don't know why. Automatic safe fee-(that's a first) of $1.00 per day-we didn't even use ours. Only 1 parking permit per room-even though they have a huge garage at their disposal. All other cars get hit with a $5.00 per day valet fee and they park your car in the garage anyway. They do check for parking violators. You have to pay for everything-room cleaning, towels, linen and replacements of used items - dish soap etc. Unit only equiped with a place setting for 4- we were constantly washing dishes. There is an envelope for you to leave a tip for housekeeping-which we never saw during our whole 7 day stay. Construction noise starting at 7 am. for a duplicate unit. Units not as describe or pictured on internet. A double bed unit with mini kitchen and bath is divided by a wall and separate entrance from the Master bedroom unit with living area and sleep sofa and kitchen. Doesn't work real well if you're trying to monitor small children. Have to go thru the bathroom and bedroom to get to the balcony. Partial view of ocean from living area. Tiny balcony in the adjacent bedroom, but no chairs. Would not stay here again for the money I paid ($2200 for the week)First time I ever filled out a comment card!!!!!!

• User: williaml55

You would think a place this new and supposedly nice would not have roaches. Think again.

• User: cheriel2

Some may say we're biased, but we honestly LOVE OUR RESORT!

This resort is geared towards having fun, pleasing it's clients, should a problem arise. There are numerous activites and events going on just within steps of the resort! We own 2 weeks here and unfortunately cannot use our week 16 here next year, (due to other plans), but we cannot phathom anyone NOT having a GREAT TIME!

We just got back from our 2nd week that we own here, and the kids and hubby had a blast! There is something here for EVERYONE AND EVERY BUDGET!!!!

• User: annc72

My family and I visit Virginia beach every year. This is a beautiful resort with many upgrades. There were 9 of us and we had plenty of room. Our suite has a full eat in kitchen and a full size washer and dryer. There is a TV in each bed room as well as a Plasma TV in the living room.

• User: jackie667

I stayed at this resort in 2006. I go to VA Beach every year and I have been to all of the GoldKey Resorts in VA Beach. This was one of my favorites. It is located at the North end of the beach and they had live entertainment a block down from the resort every night. I ended up buying a 2 bedroom timeshare at this resort. My son loved playing his playstation on the large plazma TV.

• User: jerryr52