Reviews of Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas

Princeville, Hawaii

4.2

Have you been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas lately?

By sudhira5 Nov 30, 2016

We stayed at the resort in May 2016. We were fortunate to get an ocean front two bedroom unit. The ocean views from our rooms and the resort in general are outstanding. Overall the place is a gem. The restaurant has further improved since we last visited it in 2014. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful.

By donaldb55 Updated May 28, 2014

One of the finest timeshare resorts in the world. The location is spectacular, built on a jetty above the Pacific, with great views to the west of Bali Hai. The grounds are immaculate and the resort offers plenty of activities and diversions for families and couples alike.

The staff are professional and friendly. One nice surprise is that the sales tactics are lowkey, and there is no pressure if you just want to skip the sales pitch altogether. Be sure to consult with the concierge desk. The ladies there are very knowledgeable, courteous, and helpful in steering you to great activities on the island.

Sleep comfort is second to none, as all of the units are equipped with Westin's Heavenly Beds, which are aptly named.

The onsite restaurant is very good and has improved markedly since the resort first opened about five years ago.

Finally, be sure to take advantage of the free shuttle bus with beach access at the nearby St. Regis Princeville Hotel.

By bobb718 Updated Apr 19, 2012

This is the finest resort I've experienced. Wonderful bluff top location allowing for great whale watching, exemplary service and cleanliness. With the same comfortable beds as in all the Westin resorts we slept soundly. Somehow this resort maintains an uncrowded feel even when fully booked. Great pools, including a quiet pool (parents, take the hint) and of course the Ne Ne wandering all over adds to the experience. This was our second visit here (2 weeks) and we are planning our third.

By jazz516 Dec 6, 2010

The most accommodating and friendliest staff I have ever experienced in the timeshare industry. They even moved us into another room after the first night because i was unhappy my room was facing the parking lot. A lot of space to enjoy the resort. Convenient to nice restaurants and shopping. The access to St. Regis is a treat.

By raymonds65 Mar 26, 2010

I can't say anything but GOOD about this place.... the grounds, pools, hot tubs and poolside bar were all excellent.

I used the outdoor grills to cook tuna steaks purchased in Hanalei -- fresh from the ocean to the grill ... totally awesome experience.

I stayed in a studio condo --- on the smallish side - but perfect for a couple -- very nice bed and bath ---- loved the whirlpool tub and double headed shower.

The cliff top view of the ocean was perfect!

I did not buy --- but I sure hope to be able to return to this property someday.

I'm an average golfer (18+ hdcp) and i really struggled on the Prince golf course.

I was not overly impressed with the Spa service at the golf course complex --- but it was a good escape from a rainy day where our golf game got cancelled.

I did not use the spa services at the Westin Princeville property -- but an ocean view massage did look inviting.

By guybusy Jan 16, 2010

Cockadoodle doo! The local roosters abound at the Westin property as they do all over Kauai. Our 2 br lockoff had lots of privacy for each couple, a full size kitchen in the larger unit and a decent burner/fridge in the smaller unit. spotlessly clean and comfortably furnished. Staff was helpful.

The on- premises restauranant was excellent. The small restaurant had cooking starter kits for salt/pepper oil/vinegar etc. The on-site gas grills worked well.

By rcrev Updated Nov 29, 2009

It seems a bit self serving to give this resort a five star review when I have it for rent, but having disclosed that I feel just fine rating it!

We have traveled the world with Westin, and I believe this property is a gem. The pool, restaurant, main building are all far nicer than most. We particularly love the rental "huts" at the pool, with seating for four comfortably, in big fluffy chairs.

The rooms are very tasteful and upscale; marble, sleek dark wood, pale colors; extraordinary bathrooms and the Westin bed, as you'd expect.

The fact that the St. Regis is now open, and that this property shares facilities with the St. Regis, puts it over the top. To pop down the road and use their beach for snorkeling, and of course dine and spa, is icing on the cake.

We went last year, and will go next year. When we were there last year with friends, we had one of the plunge pools to ourself - with the small bar area adjacent, complete with bartender. He made us Blue Hawaiians, one after the next. It was as though we owned the place! Our daughter learned to surf, made leis, learned to hula...all complimentary.

The restaurant is very, very nice - not your typical poolside fare (though they do offer poolside service.) Grills are scattered throughout the property. We stocked up on groceries - yogurt, bagels, water, pop, etc. when we got there, as we like the convenience of breakfast and snacks to grab.

The views are spectacular - there is no beach on the property, but again you can use the St. Regis beach. This property is truly one of Westin's finest; we're very happy with our decision to purchase - even though we knew we wouldn't go every year as we like exploring!

All in all a lush, smaller timeshare; very unlike typical Hilton/Marriott monstrously large properties. Friendly, smiling staff makes a point to get to know you during the week.

Five stars from me! :)

(PS -the reviewer below who gives the property two stars clearly has issues with Westin's sales program, and is an unfair reflection on the resort itself!)

By robertbm Mar 28, 2009

This resort would be rated much higher except for the fact that Westin decided to offer "fixing" weeks/units for Preferred View Villas without notifying owners of record of this decision in a timely manner. This shows that Westin dosen't adequately value its existing owners. Available information suggests Westin intends to "fix" up to 50% of total resort villa weeks. If "fixing" is implemented to this extent, any owner who is either unable or unwilling to "fix" his or her weeks will be assigned a relatively unattractive unit at checkin. Anyone considering purchasing at this Resort should seriously consider the implications of this dramatic departure from Westin's traditional "floating" regimen!

By kentonl Feb 19, 2009

My wife and 7-year old stayed here for the first time the week after Thanksgiving. It was truly a magnificent experience. The Villas are incredible - top quality in appearance, layout, bathroom, beds (Westin's Heavenly bed lives up to its name), and views. And my son had a blast at the Kid's pool, the Westin Kids' Club (they have a Wii...and take nature hikes to balance that out), and playing on the beach of nearby Hanalei Bay .

One thing that was great was the large market just a few minutes down the road. We dropped $250, and it lasted us almost 9 days (with a few nights eating out, of course). On our first night, I grilled some T-Bone steaks on one of the many BBQ's near the pool. A bottle of wine, a tasty meal, and a breathtakingly serene atmosphere in the most beautiful place on earth was the PERFECT way to start a holiday.

The grounds are impeccable, the staff helpful and friendly, and there's plenty to do to keep you occupied and interested. I'd list things to do, but the Concierge will help you with that...

Kauai is different from Maui. I love them both, as they offer different types of experience. You'll get a bit more activity from Maui, and if you're looking to find moments of extreme solitude and beauty, Kauai is the place to go. We were never bored here...not even close.

My one regret is that I didn't have a chance to play at the golf course next to the Villas. Next time.

By hoytc Updated Jan 29, 2009

We own a 2 bed room lock out and stayed in late January 2009- using only the premium one bed room half. Having bought, sight unseen, we were totally impressed by the layout, and the quality. The villas are absolute top quality where you don't hear anyone else, unless through an open window. We stayed in an end unit overlooking the ocean, and the unit has everything, including the most comfortable bed you've ever slept on and flat screens etc. The kitchen is well equipped and countered with granite marble surfaces -again very high quality. The pull out couch for sleeping is fine for one or kids, but two adults would spend some time meeting in the middle.

The restaurant serves very good food; the onsite store has most basics with a major plus being the full array from Starbucks; and the staff looks to help you in every way. Among the most impressive things are the pool/hot tub complexes, including the kids pool area. They are absolutely first class - frankly the best I have ever seen.

Another nice characteristic is the peaceful atmosphere. There are no jet skis or para- sales out front...simply ambling surf seen off the cliffs and frequently seen breaching whales. I am not sure that kids ages 5 to 16 would be very entertained here. Westin Princeville is IMHO the polar opposite of the Westin Maui resorts, which are absolutely packed with people and activities.The concierges do make every effort to match your activity requirements.

I played the Prince golf course which is adjacent and it is a very challenging course and among the highest ranked in Hawaii. As a 2 handicap, I absolutely had my hands full, yet the up tees keep the challenge fair. The Princeville Resort, just down the road is scheduled to reopen in late Summer where westin guests have full priledges, and the Makai Golf course is currently under renovation.

Negatives are few: The first is that there is no real beach access from the property although some attempt to represent that there is.. When the Princeville Resort reopens then there will be a nice beach complex, and Anini State Park below does require a drive. Yes, if you have climbed Mt. Everest you can walk down a very steep path fromthe Westin Princeville, but I promise you that you will stress test your heart for the journey back up. On the return journey up the hill, my heart rate tracked as if I were in a full sprint, and I'm in decent shape. The other negative is that Kauai is the rainiest place at its center on earth with over 450 inches of rain per year. The north shore at Princeville gets 85 inches of rain, so you are likely to get rain at some point in your stay. For us, it was mostly squalls although we had fun timing cooking steaks on the outside grills while there was a lot of rain; they came out perfectly, and fyi, the grills are fabulous...again first class. For January 2009 they have had 10 inches of rain in Princeville.

All in all, we'll be looking forward to returning even though we travel from the east coast.

By barbaraf Sep 28, 2008

We stayed here for one week the last week of August 2008. This resort is excellent in design, quality, service and location. Furnishing are superior to any I've seen in any timeshare. Appliances, plumbing fixtures, overall engineering and design are all high quality. One aspect that we thoroughly appreciated was the quietness inside the villa. Obviously sound-proofing was considered when constructing these buildings. We enjoyed every aspect of this resort. As long-time Marriott owners with time in Maui and Palm Desert, we are very loyal to Marriott but Westin has created a product that Marriott could learn from.

We will return to the Westin at Princeville.

Service and front desk were exceptional.

By markf64 Updated Jun 2, 2008

I'm here right now. These villas are awesome.

> Outside cooking areas close to at least three different pools > Wonderful view of the ocean from grounds and many rooms > Friendly staff > Willingness of staff to learn what their customers want in the resort while its being built and becoming fully operational > 5+ star rooms > Great food and beverage on-site