Timeshare reviews at Cabo Azul Resort & Spa (Monarch Grand Vacations)

San Jose del Cabo, Mexico

By kathyl486 Sep 12, 2016
    By marys1452 Updated Apr 23, 2016

We have stayed at Cabo Azul several times these last few years, including over Thanksgiving holiday. This is a 5 star resort in every way. The resort is only a few years old. The rehab that followed the hurricane couldn't be better. The units are well appointed and generous in space. The grounds are gorgeous and the resort buildings are right on the Sea of Cortez beach. Most of the units have kitchens. The views are either of the sea, the pool, or gardens. There are elevators, too. The virtual pools and hot tubs are wonderful. They offer spa services, too. We've eaten in the resort restaurant, and the food was good. We found the prices to be comparable to other West Coast restaurants in the states. There is a shopping center and two grocery stores within a mile of the resort. You can take a taxi for a few dollars. Chileno Beach is a public beach for swimming and snorkeling a few miles down the main road towards Cabo San Lucas. San Jose has quaint shops, an old Catholic church, and wonderful art museums. Their Thursday night open studio art festival is great! There are no extra fees to owners and their guests, when booked with owner points! We highly recommend CABO AZUL!!

By komalb May 13, 2013

I go here every year with my husband and it is even more magical every time! The resort is breathtaking and decor is nothing like you have ever seen before. It is done by a famous interior designer and you see the lavish taste reflected in everything from the rooms to the restaurants. This place is perfect for couples and we have seen families there too. If you are looking for an upscale place to stay without compromising cleanliness and customer service, Cabo Azul is the place and will not disappoint!

By canrightc Mar 7, 2010

This is an absolutely stunning resort. The pools are the most beautiful I have ever seen anywhere. The rooms are also beautiful. The staff is great and the location on the water and in Town is also good.

There is a daily convenience fee of about $12.00 per day for towels and service.

Some people have complained about the food prices, but each room has a full kitchen so that was not a problem for us.

By brindab3 Updated Jul 1, 2009

I do own here and there is a resort fee for ME daily

By davidk209 Updated Jun 30, 2009

This resort is gorgeous and tranquil. The staff is wonderful!!! Top notch all the way. I have no complaints only Caveats. For couples or families with older children who want a first class resort Cabo Azul is a wonderful choice. For families with younger children who are not good swimmers or demand things like water slides, water falls, and a swimmable beach you may want to keep in mind that the ocean here has a strong undertow and rip current. It's OK for adults to go in about waist deep but beyond that it gets risky. The pools are crystal clear clean. However the average depth is about 55". I am 5' 11" and the water come up to top of my chest. My wife who is 5' 2" the water is up to the bottom of her mouth. My average height 9 yr old could not stand without being under water. So, small kids who don't wear life jackets, water wings or can't swim well will demand your constant attention. For me this is not a problem, for those who want to sit and read a book while the kids play, good luck. There are some platforms that are good for infants and toddlers.

I loved the lighting which some have complained about. Almost every switch has a dimmer so one can create many moods of lighting. The main problem seems to be n the bathrooms for women who want to apply make up and I admit it is a problem. Bring an illuminated make up mirror and you will be fine. Guys, it can make getting a good shave a little trying.

As far as the bedroom without a window. It's true. But, 95% of the time I spent in that room my eyes were closed. I never would have thought of it as an issue if a previous review did not mention it.

Food and drinks are a little on the high side when ordered poolside or when dining in the restaraunts but not unusual for a high end resort. I think they may be artificially high because they give out so many resort credits to those who do the timeshare presentation. Also, it's a time share so it's not like you are held hostage to what they have to offer. There is a market on site which sells bottles beer, wine and spirits as well as food items at resonable prices. A soft drink can in the market is a third of the price as one ordered from the bar. Pastries in the coffee shop are two for one when purchased after 6pm so you can buy for the following morning. Also, there is a store "Mega" similar to a super WalMart that is a 20 min walk or 3 minute 5 dollar cab ride away. STOCK UP!!. It's also a great place to exchange dollars for peso's. No fees and good exchange rate.

Tip to save on cabs. Get the price in dollars and then ask in pesos. For simplicity reasons the Cabbies use a 10:1 ratio however we are getting about 13:1 at this time. So you will save by paying pesos verses dollars.

Bottom line. I would go again in a heart beat. It's so beautiful and the staff is so nice and accomadating. It's like the Ritz Carlton. No charge daily maid service as well. Very unusual for a timeshare. I only mention the things above as caveats because they can be real issues for some people. We loved it.

If I did not have young children this is a Five Star Resort all the way.

P.S. I don't own here or anywhere for that matter so my review is not tainted by ownership.

By ira10 Updated Aug 10, 2008

The resort itself is just beautiful and we have absolutely no complaints there at all. But there are alot of absolutely gorgeous resorts throughout the Los Cabos area.

The area of San Jose Del Cabo is a much more laid back and arsty town than Cabo San Lucas. We preferred it much more to the hustle and bustle and crazy night life and lights of Cabos San Lucas and would stay in the San Jose area only when we return.

What we were very disappointed about is the fact that we went with another couple. And although the room was fine, not great by any, not an ocean view but a pool view, not that large for a 2 BR and kind of dark...But...ONLY ONE of the 2 bedrooms had a window in it.

Can you imagine that? The second bedroom had NO WINDOW. That is unheard of as far as I am concerned. We have stayed at wonderful resorts all over the world and we have NEVER stayed somewhere that has only one of the 2 bedrooms with a window. Why would they ever design a supposedly 5* resort like this?

I suppose it's one thing if you travel with young kids...but why should they be in a dark room either with NO VIEW? And my older/adult kids would absolutely hate it!

Okay. I'm done! For that reason alone I would NEVER GO BACK and stay at this resort.

There must be 2 BR units that don't have this problem, but unless you can get a guarantee in writing, I definitely wouldn't chance it! Not when there are other beautiful 5* resorts in the area to stay at with some of them having larger airy and lighter units and ALL with ocean views!

You choose...

By jasont76 Apr 29, 2008

Beautiful building and pools. Food was crazy expensive. The ocean out front was too dangerous due to crashing waves and rip tides. I didn't see one person swimming in the ocean over the week we stayed there.

By nazclk Mar 20, 2008

The resort is wonderful however the food prices in the restaurants are way out wack. $18 for a burger and fries is a little much even in Cabo.