Report Abuse

Re: Kauia Beach Club vs Waiohai Beach Club

We just returned from a stay at the Kauai Beach Club. We went on a Timeshare invite, that was a referral of a friend that purchased at the Waiohai Beach Club. We THOUGHT we were staying at the Waiohai...our bad (our invite stated they were going to give the presentation on the Waiohai, but when we went for our 90 minute meeting...they never mentioned it! They are trying to sell out remaining rooms that they have "re-aquired" back at the Kauai Beach Club in order to refurbish the Hotel. That wont begin until Sept 2009). We were not happy with our stay and ended up spending a crap-load more money on food than we had thought we would, had we stayed at the Waiohai. Kauai Beach Club is a Hotel made into a timeshare resort. Yes, you get all the conveniences of a Hotel...but you pay for it. Our room, although upgraded to an ocean view, was very small. The "kitchenette" consisted of a mini frig that barely kept things cold and a coffee pot. They said they could bring a microwave up to our room, but after viewing the size of it, we decided not too as it would take 4 hours to cook something in it since it was so small. Now the bathroom?? That was a joke. Talk about claustrophobia! The ceilings in the rooms and all hallways are VERY low... The grounds are beautiful, and it seemed there was many activities at the Hotel for children. The pool is beautiful and very LARGE...but to me, if you got to a tropical place...why on earth would you want to spend time at the pool??? Go to the beach!!! Anyway, anytime you want food, it will cost you, it doesn't matter if Costco is up the street 5-10 minutes or not...where will you store the food, and how will you cook it? We are simple people and like simple meals, so even eating a simple meal at one of the several restaurants on site...it still cost us at least $40-$50 per meal. Except of course if you eat at Dukes Barefoot Bar. You can get a burger/sandwhich etc all for around $10.00...but if you want fries...those will cost extra. We enjoy relaxing on a beach and having food drinks brought to us...which the two times we were able to sit out and enjoy the beach (because of the weather)...there isn't much to look at. To the left you have houses on a cliff, and to the right you have a lovely factory of some sort to look at. Not quite my idea of beauty. Of course, if weather doesn't agree with you hanging out on this "lovely" beach...your up a creek without a paddle. Either in the room or driving around looking at the sights...OR chasing the sun South as the locals say. Waiohai is on South beach. Most likely it will be sunny there even if its rainy or cloudy elsewhere on the island. We did make the trip twice to Waiohai just to use their facilities and drink in the views...nothing can beat the views you have at the Waiohai...pure open ocean. Plenty of children at both locations and they all seemed to be having fun (the beach at Poipu is one of the top ten most beautiful beaches. Its possible to see the rare monk seals crawl up on the beach to snooze...we did!). Along with just playing onthe beach and swimming in the water, there is great snorkeling RIGHT THERE! What a cool thing for kids and families to do together. We did also have a meal or two sitting at the "local" restaurant/bar...there you get a burger WITH fries...for the same price! =) Also, should you choose to stay at Waiohai...you do get two full bedrooms with a kitchen and a nook/dining area. Eating breakfast and lunch in will save you much of your hard earned money. As for the pool...or pools...yes there are several and they are lagoon style and beautiful, many kids playing in them... Also, a quick response about being isolated on Poipu...you can get to Costco and Kauai's "Mall" (yes, there is a Macy's) within about 15 mintues. Prior to leaving on our trip, I did extend our stay with Marriott. Now, the booking agent with the timeshare sales told me they had no openings in the timeshare resort, but that they had openings at the Hotel "right next door." Whats funny is that...ITS THE SAME RESORT!...just a different room across the pool. Although the first room was on the small side, I do have to say our Hotel room was a bit larger...they actually fit a love seat in there...we were happier with that room (and the bathroom) than the original room we were in. I know this is long...but if I learned anything with my stay on the lovely island of Kauai...dont settle. Be happy where you stay or it really takes away from your vacation...for the first four days of our stay we actually had thought we'd never go back to Kauai...but after visiting Waiohai, we will be back...but we will never go back to the Kauai Beach Club. Hope this helps in your vacation planning. Everyone has different thoughts on what is wonderful...Kauai Beach Club might be what you are looking for...who knows. It wasn't for us though. Good luck and have fun!