General Discussion

Getting rid of a time share.

Feb 14, 2011

Thanks JayJay...I have read these forums for years now and like your postings. So, we would list our timeshare for sale on redweek, get a buyer, then go to timesharetransfer.com to complete the deal?

Candice and John M.
Feb 14, 2011

You can sell your timeshare to Timesharesbegone, maybe. They don't do business in every state. Again, I say, I paid 985.00 My timeshare was in the state they do a lot of business in. Ken intimated he was going to check out to see if my story was true. I posted the info the co. clerk in Cumberland Co has on record. Haven't heard from him whether he followed up or not. If he does, he will find I no longer own that timeshare!!!!! Not everyone who buys timeshares is a crook. Not every business spends a fortune on Google and other advertisers. That is why they don't charge 3500.00. You do have a right in the USA to sell to whomever you want to. No questions have to be answered by you. The resort MUST accept the owner of record as the owner. I cannot imagine why some people on this forum try to act like you can't sell to whomever will buy it, even if you pay them for the service.

Colvin D.
Feb 14, 2011

@ clovind: there is NO WAY I would sell my timeshare at this "timesharesbegone" place. After reading the forums I would not trust this site with ONE dollar of my money. I hope it all turns out well for you in the end, but no thanks...not for me. Yikes!

Candice and John M.
Feb 14, 2011

I must have missed the post where they took someone's money and did not do what they said. Oh, yea, not on here. Only insecure speculation. I got a great deal. I talked to others who also were very pleased with the service. Paying around $1000. one time and not paying tens of thousands over time makes so much sense. There are people who like to spend money for something they don't want or need, I'm just not one of those. Talk about looking a "gifthorse" in the mouth.

Colvin D.
Feb 14, 2011

colvind wrote:
Talk about looking a "gifthorse" in the mouth.
This really isn't at all about how much money was paid out.

As stated already, a LLC established for the sole purpose of avoiding legal or financial responsibility (or for assisting others to do so) constitutes fraud --- plain and simple. Fraud (fyi) is a criminal offense in ANY state. Accordingly, deed transfers associated with a fraudulent enterprise can be voided and deemed legally invalid.

As also stated already, time will tell whether or not your transfer actually is the "done deal" you seem to believe that it is. I realize that's what you want to believe (and I don't blame you for wanting to believe that) but the fact of the matter is that you may be in for a rude awakening if the LLC is a fraudulent enterprise and is later exposed as such and all associated deeds are vacated and voided.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 14, 2011 05:33 PM

Feb 14, 2011

amen.....

Ken, I have read your posts on here for years like jayjay...ya'll helped me get info for setting up a rental agreement a few years back. You seem to know what you are talking about and I am grateful for your knowledge base when it comes to this timeshare industry we are involved in. Thank you....

Candice and John M.

Last edited by mccabin on Feb 14, 2011 05:40 PM

Feb 14, 2011

Ken, Please give facts about deeds set aside that were sold to another person or entity that you personally know of. Fact or Fiction? Please give deed books and pages and then I will believe you know of what your speak. Until then, seems like your credibility may be in question.

Colvin D.
Feb 14, 2011

You can also use the "Redweek approved" agent to get this done. Go to: http://www.redweek.com/resources/sale_process/escrow/

Bottom line, if you've got somebody who wants your timeshare, you don't have to pay exorbitant fees and risk getting ripped off.

Gerry M.
Feb 14, 2011

Colvin,

I agree that generally one can "sell to whomever you want" in this country. But, there are many exceptions established by both state and Federal statutes and regulations to prevent fraud. For example, the SEC forbids the sell of "restricted stock" by a corporate officer who has knowledge of some pending event that could adversely affect the value of the stock. That is, the right to sell in this country is not absolute as you suggest.

I also question whether you actually "sold" anything. The seller (that would be you) must receive "good and valuable consideration" for a valid sale. Typically consideration is monetary but it can be "love and affection" but in this transaction you received nothing. You actually paid consideration. Your transaction would not pass the smell test for a valid sale set out in Blacks Law Dictionary and many volumes of case law. Sure the county clerk will take your fee and record the deed but that does not make it a valid deed.

Google does accept advertisements but its purpose for being is to provide links to web sites to those searching the internet for information. Your "buyer" does not have a web site. That fact raises red flags in my mind.

You say "the resort MUST accept the owner of record as the owner". Not necessarily. Frequently the declaration filed by the developer in the deed records sets restrictions on who they will accept as an owner. That declaration is binding whether you read it or not.

There are many homeless folks in my city who sleep in public provided shelters at night. Most of these individuals would gladly accept the price of a warm meal for the deed to a timeshare. That would be cheaper than paying a LLC $1,000 to accept the deed. Maybe you have hit upon something. If a "resort MUST accept the owner" then maybe readers of this thread can seek out the homeless and transfer their worthless timeshare to them. It would be a win/win for both parties. The homeless person gets a warm meal and the owner of a worthless timeshare rids himself of future maintenance fees.

Carvan A.
Feb 15, 2011

I love the homeless person scenario. Let's look at it this way. Drug addiction has made this person homeless. One day he decides he's sick and tired of messing up not only his life, but the people in his life that love him. He goes to the salvation army and starts getting clean.

Move forward 30 days. He is at the library and sees on e-bay where he can buy timeshares for $1. He has saved $5.00 from picking up cans, and he bids on the timeshares and wins. He is excited. So exuberant that he calls his brother who is a very successful doctor. He hasn't talked to him in 10 years. The Dr. is so filled with love for his brother, he wants to see him.

The Dr. goes to the brother and the reunion is breathtaking. He is so thrilled that his "drug-addict" brother is making changes. In conversation, the brother tells about buying the timeshares. He needs money for transfer fees and maintenance fees. The Dr. has a surplus of cash. $10,000 to him is like the $5.00 the "homeless" man used to buy the timeshares from ebay. The Dr. decides to pay all the fees on the timeshares. Not only that, but agrees (with his brother if he stays sober) to pay the fees for the next five years.

At what point did the person who originally listed the timeshares on ebay stop being the owner? If the "homeless" person relapsed after 3 years and the Dr. stopped paying the fees, would the timeshares revert back to the original owner? No, the "homeless" man is responsible.

Again, one buyer of timeshares boast they have bought 40,000 deeds. Must be a way out if a person wants to go that way.

Colvin D.
Feb 15, 2011

I found no such website as timesharesbegone.com ..... the thing I did find was a domain with that name that was for sale .... evidently they are no longer in business.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 15, 2011 08:27 AM

Feb 15, 2011

mccabin wrote:
Thanks JayJay...I have read these forums for years now and like your postings. So, we would list our timeshare for sale on redweek, get a buyer, then go to timesharetransfer.com to complete the deal?

Yes, there are other timeshare closing services but I always dealt with timesharetransfer.com and was satisfied with their service. JRA Services is also a reputable closing service.

R P.
Feb 15, 2011

gerrymanning wrote:
You can also use the "Redweek approved" agent to get this done. Go to: http://www.redweek.com/resources/sale_process/escrow/

Bottom line, if you've got somebody who wants your timeshare, you don't have to pay exorbitant fees and risk getting ripped off.

You are correct .... I took ownership of a free timeshare week via a quit claim deed from the previous owner, however there was no money involved.

R P.
Feb 15, 2011

colvind wrote:
At what point did the person who originally listed the timeshares on ebay stop being the owner?

When the deed is successfully transferred from the seller's name to the new owner's name at both the county and the resort .... the previous owner is no longer responsible for the timeshare in any shape, form or fashion.

R P.
Feb 15, 2011

Thanks again jayjay.

Candice and John M.
Feb 15, 2011

Colvin,

Jayjay, made a good point, The transfer is either valid or invalid at the time of its execution. Subsequent events do not affect its validity. You probably are home free because the resort will just foreclose to avoid the legal expense of having the deed set aside as void. The foreclosure may or may not adversely impact your credit depending on who the resort names as the owner in the foreclosure documents. The other owners will have to pick up the slack through higher maintenance fees.

Your facebook picture and profile suggests you are a bright man and you probably have a good business sense but I do think it might be well for you to have your attorney review the transaction for your own peace of mind.

I re

Carvan A.
Feb 15, 2011

As an alternative to a "homeless person", if you happened to know either a person or a business entity that was about to declare Chapter 7 (but not 11 or 13 ) bankruptcy, you could sell the timeshare to them - $1 would be fine, I should think. Now, they declare the asset (the timeshare unit) and the liability (the maintenance fee) in their filing. The bankruptcy erases their obligation. Yours is already gone because you sold it to them. Everybody's happy except the resort. Now they have to sell the darn thing again, if they can, but it's not your problem. Obviously, you should verify this approach with competent legal counsel, like the lawyer handling the bankrutpcy - see above. However, I think you'll find it's pretty bulletproof. Good luck!

Gerry M.
Feb 17, 2011

I donated mine to Florida Veterans and paid the fees to close was less than the maintence fees and no longer have it its been 2 yrs now.

Ellen P.
Feb 17, 2011

ellensue wrote:
I donated mine to Florida Veterans and paid the fees to close was less than the maintence fees and no longer have it its been 2 yrs now.

2 years ago, it was a little easier and cheaper to donate timeshares to charities. Now, it's a much more costly process.

Lance C.
Mar 12, 2011

joel382 wrote:
ellensue wrote:
I see . I guess maybe we are all not as smart as u an so forgive me on that. I was only trying to help others on getting rid of their timeshare I didnt try to offend you or anyone else. Now those that have timeshares this is what I did as of last aug. or so and it worked for me.

Ellensue, pleeze don't apoligize. Peeple liike Carvana are Edumacated Idiots!! Ha Ha! Have NUTTIN' Bedder two du than corekt sumones spellin'. !!!

Bernier M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.