General Discussion

Getting rid of a time share.

Apr 03, 2012

lancec13 wrote:
Remember, there are way more sellers than buyers right now so look at it this way. If I were in the market to buy a timeshare like yours and I saw half a dozen other ads for a similar timeshare, what would you offer to make me choose yours over the others? If others are offering to pay the costs while you insist that the buyer for your timeshare pay the closing costs, which do you think I would choose?

In your ad, it would be best if you made it clear who will be responsible for the closing costs as well as resort transfer fee (if there is one).

I have to agree 100% with lancec13.

In this market, where as lance said there are 10 sellers for every cash buyer, you have to do something to make yours the one that is picked. And you goal is freedom from the recurring costs of ownership = the annual fees.

There are a number of things which can attract a buyer to your timeshare.

Paying all or part of the closing costs. I see a lot of adds where the closing is paid by the seller, and transfer is paid by the buyer. That means the buyer will usually only pay about $125 or less.

Offer the timeshare for only $1.00. In most states, the actual selling price has to be at least $1 or the sale may not go through. Has to do with minimum value that can be recorded at the sale or something.

Offer to transfer banked or current usage that you paid the fees for as an incentive.

NEVER expect to make money on the deal. Just get out of the obligation to the time share company. Remember - you are asking the new owner to take on the very expenses that you are working so hard to get out from under.

NEVER PAY A FEE UP FRONT. The only fees you should ever pay up front as a seller is to the closing company that YOU secure, or to the site you are listing on, such a Red Week or eBay. Both have small fees to list or belong.

As a buyer, NEVER pay monies directly to a seller. You might as well just set the cash on fire. If they secured the closing company, check it out on the web, and through the Better Business BBB. Search for info about them on posting sites like RW, to make sure they are legit. Then send payment to the escrow account, when you are sure you know they are honest.

Make sure that monies are not actually released to the seller until the unit is both recorded in your name AND transferred at the resort. Until the resort acknowledges you as the new owner, you have nothing.

Good Luck.

Steve M.
Apr 19, 2012

I have tried for three years to get out of my timeshare, paid listing fees several time. We all know how that goes!! I did it and just got notified today the deed is now out of my name. THANK GOD!!

Roy O.
Apr 20, 2012

royo11 wrote:
I have tried for three years to get out of my timeshare, paid listing fees several time. We all know how that goes!! I did it and just got notified today the deed is now out of my name. THANK GOD!!

I just got off a travelrci.com webinar and it sounded pretty good but they did want money (not a lot) up front which is the first clue of a scam. HOw long did it take for your deal to close? Is there more to your story that would be helpful to me?

Thanks, TJ

Thomas J.
Apr 21, 2012

Is travelrci.com actually affiliated with RCI? The site looks like a vacation club of some sort .... it doesn't look like they take timeshares. If they are not officially affiliated with RCI then they can be arrested for piracy for using the RCI name.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 21, 2012 09:28 AM

Apr 21, 2012

I would research this company backwards and forwards before I would hand over1red cent to it for anything .... new scams pop up everyday concerning timesharing .... I've been reading and posting on timeshare forums for over 12 years and I've never heard of this company ..... via researching it looks to be some kind of MLM (Multiple Level Marketing) scheme.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 21, 2012 09:34 AM

May 01, 2012

TJ, I had a timeshare with Orange Lake in Orlando FL. It took a little over two months from the day that I signed up before the timeshare was completely out of my name. I was updated throughout the transfer process. I didnt have to pay for any of the closing fees for the transfer of my timeshare. I did pay money to purchase their travel service, however, I love the program for I can travel for two weeks of vacation for what I was paying in maintenance costs and taxes for one week with the timeshare. Hope this helps you.

Roy O.
May 02, 2012

royo11 wrote:
TJ, I had a timeshare with Orange Lake in Orlando FL. It took a little over two months from the day that I signed up before the timeshare was completely out of my name. I was updated throughout the transfer process. I didnt have to pay for any of the closing fees for the transfer of my timeshare. I did pay money to purchase their travel service, however, I love the program for I can travel for two weeks of vacation for what I was paying in maintenance costs and taxes for one week with the timeshare. Hope this helps you.

I smell a shill !!!!

R P.
May 03, 2012

Redweek doesn't allow ads in their forums ..... you're posting an ad above, plain and simple.

R P.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 04, 2012 02:09 PM

May 04, 2012

That is not true. You just deleted a direct contact i was trying to make with a member about accepting his unwanted timeshare. I am a 15 year timeshare owner and veteran. REDWEEK is a website company that has its roots in school social networking sites. Its a real shame that you wield so much power and deliver so little benefit to MY INDUSTRY. Redweek is the scam people....

Olivia B.
May 04, 2012

oliviab17 wrote:
That is not true. You just deleted a direct contact i was trying to make with a member about accepting his unwanted timeshare. I am a 15 year timeshare owner and veteran. REDWEEK is a website company that has its roots in school social networking sites. Its a real shame that you wield so much power and deliver so little benefit to MY INDUSTRY. Redweek is the scam people....

It's a good thing email addresses are not posted on Redweek's forums or members would get inundated with junk mail from people like you. BTW, Redweek is definitely not a scam .... I have no idea what you're referring to accusing Redweek having it's roots in school social networking sites.

I am in no way affiliated with Redweek except as a poster on it's forums that tries to educate readers on all scams regarding timesharing .... new ones pop up everyday.

It's blatantly obvious what bogus charity you belong to .... you've been trying to advertise on Redweek's forms for months, however due to the education found here and on other timeshare forum sites that you're not getting much business .... are you?

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on May 04, 2012 08:00 AM

May 16, 2012

Red flag #1: Time pressure pitch. "We only have assessors here for 4 days and they're only looking for a limited number of units at each resort. You have to move NOW to get that timeshare sold." Red flag #2: Email address is a gmail account. If this were a legitimate long-term company, why is their email address an internet condom? Red flag #3: Whois query returns: Domain Name: TRAVELRCI.COM Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com Name Server: NS1.MINDLOCKDESIGN.COM Name Server: NS2.MINDLOCKDESIGN.COM Status: clientDeleteProhibited Status: clientRenewProhibited Status: clientTransferProhibited Status: clientUpdateProhibited Updated Date: 26-jan-2012 Creation Date: 07-nov-2011 Expiration Date: 07-nov-2012 If they are a long term legitimate company, why is it a one year domain name registration from GoDaddy? Red flag #4: Payment requirement is immediate and uses PayPal. Red flag #5: Old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true, it is."

After high pressure pitch from their "Accounting Department" and my wife, I declined to bite.

Tom B.
May 16, 2012

Kudos to you for using your gut instinct and for researching this scam company.

R P.
May 29, 2012

We want to get rid of our timeshare,. Just talked to Travelrci.com. They gave us 24 hours to get back to them. They want $3000 in escrow until papers are signed to get rid of our timeshare, then into their travel club which does sound too good to be true. Can you tell me if It is a scam? Is there ANY way to get rid of the timeshare without a scam??

Barbara G.
May 29, 2012

After everything you have read on this site and probably other sites you shouldn't even have to ask! Say no and stop talking to these rip-off artist. Just keep your fee's up to date and use it until you find a way to sell or give it away. Even giving it away and paying all cost would be cheaper than dealing with these people.Even if you did all this and gave new owners cash for next years maintenance fee would still be cheaper.

PHIL

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on May 29, 2012 06:27 PM

May 30, 2012

If they want up front money run as fast as you can. There is no garantee that they will not just take your money and you will still own the unit. Some people feel it's worth the cost to pay a fee to get rid of the obligation but how do you know they won't take your money and run. Try listing your property for $ 1.00 and offer to pay all the closing costs. Use this site or another one. I had one person tell me that they listed their timeshare for sale in a local paper where the timeshare is located and it sold very quickly. Sometimes people who have family near there might want to buy it to visit relatives every year.

Don P.
May 30, 2012

barbarag416 wrote:
We want to get rid of our timeshare,. Just talked to Travelrci.com. They gave us 24 hours to get back to them. They want $3000 in escrow until papers are signed to get rid of our timeshare, then into their travel club which does sound too good to be true. Can you tell me if It is a scam? Is there ANY way to get rid of the timeshare without a scam??

The fact that this scam company is using RCI's name is piracy. You should contact RCI with this information.

R P.
May 30, 2012

I've been on the phone with this co. toady and was also told they would buy my timeshare and all I had to do was pay them 3000. to get their membership. When I told Them I didn't have that much money they brought in the big guns and told me I could have it for 1000. I'm not selling to them because of the theory "if it sounds too good to be true.....

Charlotte R.
May 30, 2012

Hi there me and my husband has been looking into wanting ti have a timeshare so that we can travel with our children with the high fee that come with hotels. Where is the rental and how does it work.

Nefertiti B.
May 30, 2012

nefertitib wrote:
Hi there me and my husband has been looking into wanting ti have a timeshare so that we can travel with our children with the high fee that come with hotels. Where is the rental and how does it work.

In the green bar at the top of the page, click on "Find a Timeshare". Then there will be a map along with a list of countries and areas where timeshares are located. It should be easy to navigate to where you want to find a timeshare.

Keep in mind that if you want to get in contact with timeshare owners, you have to purchase the $15 RedWeek membership.

Lance C.
May 30, 2012

ALL THIS JUST TO GET RID OF SOMETHING. The more I read, and try to figure out what to do with a timeshare, I have not used and still owe on, and want to get rid of. Makes me think ever more what a racket the whole thing is. $ to buy .$ to keep for life. $ to get rid of. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ wish I had not been talked into it.

Cynthia H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.