General Discussion

Getting rid of a time share.

Sep 22, 2012

If you cannot afford your timeshare any more, as opposed to simply not wanting it anymore, try contacting your company. I was able to free myself without having to pay any third company or the timeshare any more money. I cannot guarantee this will work with all companies, but its worth a shot.

Charles A.
Sep 23, 2012

koolray wrote:
Has anyone used the site Donate For A Cause? If so, please enlighten me on your thoughts? Thank you. ----Ray

If you don't own a timeshare that DFAC thinks they can't resale then they won't take it .... and they charge you thousands if they do take it and think they can resale.

R P.
Nov 05, 2012

I am told by the Federal Trade Commission if they have enough complaints they Will file a class action suit I say we just call the media in our states and have them go after these thieves.

Glenda Y.
Nov 06, 2012

glenday2 wrote:
I am told by the Federal Trade Commission if they have enough complaints they Will file a class action suit I say we just call the media in our states and have them go after these thieves.

Which thieves are you talking about?

Lance C.
Nov 09, 2012

Thieves?? They're ALL thieves - the lying TS salesmen and then the "sell your TS scams"

DON"T EVER PAY AN UPFRONT FEE TO ANYONE to sell/take your TS - it's a scam.

If you REALLY (??) want a TS then buy on the secondary market - NEVER buy from the developer - they'll rip you off for a fortune!!

Dave K.
Mar 08, 2013

I received an offer to proceed with a deed in lieu of foreclosure as a result of not paying MF...I researched the deed, as I never had a copy, only to find out that it lists on the deed the name of my son who was a minor when I purchased it. He never signed a P & S agreement, so this was a recording error.

I want to sign the deed in lieu and give it back, but he does not want to sign it because he was never liable for any MF.

There is no mortgage only past due MF. If I sign this will I be liable for the prior MF? If they do not have his SS# and if he signs will make him personally liable? Will it affect my credit or both of our credit reports? Also they want to give us $125.00 for the recording fee.

Susan E.

Last edited by susane252 on Mar 08, 2013 12:35 AM

Mar 08, 2013

It's really sad that years ago timeshare companies hooked us into buying a week , weeks etc for hefty amounts $12,000 to $40,000 and now they have converted to points to make more money!! When is someone going to complain to a higher level......maybe, the government needs to step in! We can't sell our timeshares, they are worth nothing?? Your timeshare might be worth 6000 in points, well you can't go any where with that amount...........so you have to BUY POINTS!! Something needs to be done!!

Pamela T.
Mar 08, 2013

susane252 wrote:
I received an offer to proceed with a deed in lieu of foreclosure as a result of not paying MF...I researched the deed, as I never had a copy, only to find out that it lists on the deed the name of my son who was a minor when I purchased it. He never signed a P & S agreement, so this was a recording error.

I want to sign the deed in lieu and give it back, but he does not want to sign it because he was never liable for any MF.

There is no mortgage only past due MF. If I sign this will I be liable for the prior MF? If they do not have his SS# and if he signs will make him personally liable? Will it affect my credit or both of our credit reports? Also they want to give us $125.00 for the recording fee.

If the deed is in your son's name (only) then you are not responsible for the maintenance fees (UNLESS your name is also on the deed).

If he (and you if you name is also on the deed) wish to be rid of this debt then $125 is a small fee for recording.

As far as your credit score (if your name is also on the deed) it would have already been dinged for non payment of maintenance fees in the past.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Mar 08, 2013 07:02 AM

Mar 08, 2013

I was reading your postings and the question came to my mind, is the original sale legal and enforceable if the deed was not properly executed. In most states you can not legally sell a property to a minor, nor sign the required contract for maintenance fees with a minor.

It would be interesting to find out if you can simply tell them the sale was fraudulent, and walk away. May or may not be possible, but I would check with legal resources in Florida to find out. You may actually be putting yourself in a worse position by signing and returning the deed.

jayjay wrote:
susane252 wrote:

If the deed is in your son's name (only) then you are not responsible for the maintenance fees (UNLESS your name is also on the deed).

If he (and you if you name is also on the deed) wish to be rid of this debt then $125 is a small fee for recording.

As far as your credit score (if your name is also on the deed) it would have already been dinged for non payment of maintenance fees in the past.

Steve M.
Mar 16, 2013

I just got out of my timeshare after trying, without success. on my own. It was a very difficult property to work with -- The Manhattan Club in New York. The attorney I found was great, and I am out forever! If anyone would like my attorney's contact information, feel free to contact me: jockwood@hotmail.com

I'd be happy to supply it.

John A.
Mar 17, 2013

johna916 wrote:
I just got out of my timeshare after trying, without success. on my own. It was a very difficult property to work with -- The Manhattan Club in New York. The attorney I found was great, and I am out forever! If anyone would like my attorney's contact information, feel free to contact me: jockwood@hotmail.com

Please explain how an attorney magically got you out of your timeshare ownership at the Manhattan Club unless fraud was involved ?????

R P.
Mar 22, 2013

Timeshare sales-people have become the biggest problem.They bother you walking down the street.Going into your hotel,having dinner with your family,shopping, every public place someone whats to take you for a taxi ride to the Villa del Palmar Puerto Vallarta timeshare, and give you $200.00 or even $250.00. They make your vacation terrible.

Natasha P.

Last edited by phyl21 on Mar 22, 2013 04:53 PM

Mar 23, 2013

natashap36 wrote:
Timeshare sales-people have become the biggest problem.They bother you walking down the street.Going into your hotel,having dinner with your family,shopping, every public place someone whats to take you for a taxi ride to the Villa del Palmar Puerto Vallarta timeshare, and give you $200.00 or even $250.00. They make your vacation terrible.

That's why it's so important to just ignore them or say, "no thanks" and walk away.

R P.
Mar 23, 2013

johna916,

I would be interrested. I am soooooo ready to step away from a timeshare.

Thanks in advance,

thomasj276

johna916 wrote:

Thomas J.
Mar 24, 2013

thomasj276 wrote:
I would be interrested. I am soooooo ready to step away from a timeshare.

Thanks in advance,

thomasj276

Unless some type of fraud took place then there's no way any attorney can get you out of a legally binding contract that you signed .... there's no easy fix for you to 'step away from your timeshare'.

R P.
Apr 20, 2013

It's simple. I am the owner. I have a right to sell. The Manhattan Club said they would "put me on a waiting list." That was their way of postponing my sale for -- who knows how long. I was so disgusted I contacted an attorney. I am not sure what my attorney said, or on what basis the buy-back was done. But, all I can tell you is that in a matter of four weeks, my attorney got me out, much to my relief. If you want my attorney's name, feel free to e-mail me at masterjock2000@yahoo.com

jayjay wrote:
johna916 wrote:

Please explain how an attorney magically got you out of your timeshare ownership at the Manhattan Club unless fraud was involved ?????

John A.
Apr 20, 2013

Fraud does not to have to be the basis for a sale. A sale is a sale! As an owner of anything, you have a right to sell it when ever you want.

John A.
Apr 21, 2013

johna916 wrote:
Fraud does not to have to be the basis for a sale. A sale is a sale! As an owner of anything, you have a right to sell it when ever you want.

You said above that you 'got out of your timeshare' ..... I don't see that you've sold anything unless the attorney bought it from you .... if you signed a legally binding contract for the timeshare then no attorney on earth can get you out of that unless the attorney BOUGHT IT FROM YOU or unless he/she can prove fraud.

R P.
Apr 21, 2013

jayjay wrote:
johna916 wrote:

You said above that you 'got out of your timeshare' ..... I don't see that you've sold anything unless the attorney bought it from you .... if you signed a legally binding contract for the timeshare then no attorney on earth can get you out of that unless the attorney BOUGHT IT FROM YOU or unless he/she can prove fraud.

Once again, Jayjay is right on the money. I doubt he has a recorded warranty deed showing that he made a legal transfer to another "legal" buyer and that the deed has been recorded, it "smacks" of fraud in every direction!!!!

Tam M.
Apr 21, 2013

No, the attorney did not buy it. The timeshare company bought it back, with intervention by my attorney.

John A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.