Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar

Hacienda del Mar

Feb 24, 2009

we also own a timeshare there and refuse to go back until things have improved. With 4 teen-age children, the lack of facilities, is a nightmare. We also feel extremely deceived by Hyatt Vacation Club. I have felt for sometime thata class action suit should be explored. I am also amazed that this hasn't been the subject of any articles in travel magazines or travel sections of major newspapers. From what I read, it will be several years before a new hotel is up and running. The on going construction will make the site less than enjoyable. Does anyone remember what it was like the week the staff at Cerromar went on strike in August of 2000?

Margaret D.
Mar 11, 2009

Hi Has anyone had a problem exchanging their owned week for another week for last Dec.-Jan. 2010? I have never had a problem in the past exchanging my week for another! I needed a 4 night stay at the end of the year and then was adding a 7 night stay. I was put on a request list as they told me they had nothing available! They would get back to me in Jun for the wk stay and 60 days before the Dec stay. My owned week is the second week in Jan. I called the staff and they were not able to bring up any reservations after Jun. 2009! Are they planning to close the timeshare for that period of time when the demolition is being done? I was told it would take 6-7 months and probably start in June. If you know of anyone I can contact for info I would appreciate it.

Gayle M.
Mar 12, 2009

Hi, Are you talking about making a reservation at the Del Mar or one of the other properties? I haven't tried making one at the Del Mar for quite a while. I wouldn't be suprised if they closed it, but I wonder where that leaves the owners? If you hear anything, please post it as soon as you do and I will do the same.

Roland S.
Mar 12, 2009

I purchased a timeshare at Hacienda del Mar from a private party and I thought that I was going to be able to use the Hotels too, I now found out that I am not able to do so because I purchased this privately. The person whom I had purchased this from said they were unaware of this when they sold it to me. Does everyone know this? This only reduces the resale of your units. I am still finding other obstacles with Hyatt and wish I never purchased this. Also many of the new place they seem to be building are out of the trading points with Hacienda del Mar and you have to purchase 4 weeks to get into some of their properties.I feel sorry for the workers there,I hope they can resolve this demolition and give some incentive bonus to the construction company to finish this project quickly.

Tom S.
Apr 04, 2009

Hi, I am also an owner at Hacienda Del Mar for the past 10 years. We were there in Nov. 08. It is now only good for a restful vacation. I also feel we have been cheated. If we wanted to sell our timeshares now who would buy them. One of the reasons we purchased was because of all of the amenities, one really did not have to leave the compound if they chose not to. I did see some upgrades in the units, but it is quite outdated. Upon speaking to the staff, they seem to be as much in the dark as we are. Upon calling to find out why our maintenance went up so much, I was told that it had to do with the electric and water which was before part of the Hotel. Now that we are alone, the Hotel is now charging us these enormous rates for electric and water. It was said that they are looking into now separating ourselves from the hotel so that we can be self sufficient. It is still a rip off as far as I am concerned. If a class action suit was started perhaps we could either get our monies back, or trade for another property in Hyatt. Most of their properties are beautiful and well worth it. What a sour taste this has left for me. I used to love the Hacienda and raved about it until everything started to close little by little. If there is a suit started count me in. Thanks for your time. We are in this together. Joyce

Joyce C.
Apr 04, 2009

People are procrastinators and no one will do anything and they know it ,if and when you want to sell your timeshare in the Hacienda del Mar you'll find out that there are very high legal cost that are to be paid by the seller in Puerto Rico.

The only way to really have power is to have a board of directors for this timeshare if there isn't any now,many timeshares have them and they have many owners on the board along with some management. I just saw the CEO of Hyatt on TV and they are hurting from the poor economy because food and drink dollars are not as high as they used to be and are affecting their budget and causing lower salaries for their employees. The last thing they need now is negative publicity about their product

Tom S.

Last edited by scally on Apr 04, 2009 03:46 PM

Apr 06, 2009

If you're really interested in pursing a class action suit. Head over to www.hyatthaciendadelmar.info and register and leave a comment on one of the posting please. I'm trying to put a list together of interested owners, but it's very slow going.

Roland S.
Apr 14, 2009

Any class action suit for Hacienda Del Mar? I'm interested, please contact me.

Solangel C.
Apr 14, 2009

I tried and was unsuccessful,anyone else have a problem

Tom S.
Apr 15, 2009

What happens when you try?

Roland S.
Apr 15, 2009

I tried, too, and thought everything was OK, but I never got a password.

N C.
Apr 17, 2009

I don't think it sends you a password. I think you assign it when you register.

Roland S.
May 13, 2009

I am also an owner at Hacienda del Mar, and also have very personal connection to the staff there...my daughter used to work at the Beach Bohio (Jersey girl), until she was layed off due to all the facilities being closed down, and vacationers going elsewhere...The facility is, as some have said, only good now for rest and relaxation...I also think many falsehoods went along with this original purchase...I was even told that you were going to get 5 passport points for every dollar spent...then told later, after purchase, that only applied to Hyatt's regular hotels, not timeshares! We were lucky to see the resort when Cerromar and Dorado Beach were up and at their best...now it is still peaceful and beautiful, but inconvenient for those looking for more amenities such as FOOD, transportation, sundries, etc...I, myself was looking to sell, being as now I have many friends local to stay with, but after reading some of these issues, I have a feeling I am stuck as well...the maintenence fees are totally unacceptable right now! Most of the ads for resales I have read recently, show the Hyatt to have all the old amenities, has anyone tried to sell their property as it is now???

Becky C.
May 13, 2009

Do not forget to tell your prospective buyer that they are not eligible to use the Hyatt Hotels every other year, this is only for people that purchase a Hyatt timeshare directly from Hyatt chain and is not passed along to subsequent owners.If I would have known this I would have either not purchased this unit or asked for a reduction in the purchase cost.

Tom S.

Last edited by scally on May 13, 2009 01:14 PM

May 14, 2009

I don't see us selling...what would we possibly get for it...Do you know that my own daughter, aforementioned, who WORKED there, had to pay a fee to stay there, because she was NOT on my deed...too many fees, NO exceptions to ANY rules...BUT, I know that freebies ARE given to certain people...also, you are not allowed to use the beach chairs or access the property through the front, if you are not a registered guest...I would think that if you OWNED a week, and paid the exorbitant fees that we do, that you could sit on their beach...We have been there many times, and I had to sneek in to say hi to my daughter at work! Once I actually got thrown off the property!!! I am personally not done with the "management" there...my heart goes out to the staff, because they have to put up with alot of crap, and they are extremely good, hard working people...

Becky C.
May 19, 2009

If I were to buy a Hacienda del Mar timeshare, could I still use the 1300 points for example, in other Hyatt timeshares? (I just can not use the hotels..right?)

Do you think there would be a value of buying PR and using the points in Key West for example. There is a PR for sale for only $150. I think the owner just wants to get out from under the maintenance fee. Do you think this would be a good buy just to use the other Hyatt properties? I love Aspen and Carmel and Key West.

Thanks

Brad S.
May 19, 2009

First the Hyatt Management company has the right of first refusal and they will buy the unit because of such a low price. The owners also have a much larger cost in selling property in P.R. to you, and I doubt they are going to take a double beating.In regards to the points you may not have enough points to go to the Key West Hyatt. Also you may only be allowed a 4 day stay there because of lack of points to get into certain seasons at different resorts.As far as Aspen goes you'll have better luck at lotto.And yes you are out on all Hotels that are owned by Hyatt.With your maintenance fees you are enrolled by Hyatt in Interval International and can trade your unit and go to other non Hyatt timeshares.

Tom S.
May 19, 2009

Thanks for the response. I just got word that Hyatt is not buying the unit back and is allowing the sale. I am paying the closing costs - which are high, 1,200.. so the owner has no cost to sale and are not going to take a double beating. 1300 points will get me to key west in any season in a studio or 1 bedroom for a week, and will get me a 2 bedroom / week, in the bronze season which is most of the year in key west. As far as Aspen, if you make your reservations far in advance and give many dates, your chances are good for getting it. (the reason I know is because I have a friend that has Hyatt and has traded to Aspen a few time.. he has to put in the request early.) And if we stayed midweek.. 1300 points is plenty for whatever size you want. My main consern is that 1300 points for $1350 including closing cost... was to good to be true, but I don't think your response was accurate. Thanks anyway.

Brad S.
May 20, 2009

The forgoing messages are extremely bad news for all of us who are timeshare owners. If Hyatt Vacation Club is truly allowing a sale for $150 then all I can conclude is that they see no viable interest in the property to protect their interest. I would say by all means if one can purchase a week for $1500 or even $2000 that is a great deal. We also have traded our 1300 points for Key West and Vail by being flexible, it was easy. If I had known I didn't need to pay my $15000 several years ago and could get this deal, I would have been ecstatic. Instead I am terrified by what it seems is Hyatts abandonment of their responsibility for the property. Is there any way to get a response from Hyatt as to why they didn't protect owner's interests by right of refusal? This now becomes the "comparable sale" value

Margaret D.
May 20, 2009

You may be paying the closing cost for the owner as part of your deal, a lawyer that they reccomend did a closing for me and i'm pretty sure that the closing cost are the responsibility of the seller. Are you doing this with an attorney?

Tom S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.