Dec 17, 2012

We go to the "owner's meeting" every year to hear the pitch and get the free stuff. No interest in spending another dime. The pitch has gotten to be a real hard sell and the sales people get really nasty when they figure out why we are there. They really don't like our "thanks for the free stuff, bye bye attitude."

Robert H.
Dec 17, 2012

Yes, we were given the same "deal" after already "invested" $60,000 for two ocean front units. So for another $11,000 we bought a garden for every other year. Strictly for the reason you listed. Boy. Were we ever dumb.

Jim H.
Dec 17, 2012

Keep that up Bob, its the only way you can get anything out of them..

Michael D.
Mar 07, 2013

Can someone tell me the current status of this resort ?

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Richard L.

Last edited by phyl21 on Mar 07, 2013 07:39 PM

Mar 07, 2013

Water intrusion at Building 4 was completed on Saturday Feb 23rd, just as I was leaving the site. It is very nice. Complete new tile roof, new exterior finishes, all new doors, windows and screens (some door frames were left in-place if still in good condition). Jamie, the manager, said that the indoor carpets were scheduled for replacement, so they were done too. Hallways received new 12" floor tiles. Top floor received an exterior batten wood finish. All exterior walls were stripped and new stucco? applied including hallways on all floors repainted. On Feb 23rd construction work moved to and was setting up to start on Building 6. You should be pleased with what you see.

Robert M.
Mar 07, 2013

Please take a very careful look at what DRI is offering before you turn in your deeded property for their points system. Not only will you be paying more for the resort where you already own, you will be loosing the little bit of control you now have. The owners of the points own nothing but points, not property. The actual deeds are held by the "trust" and the points are shares of that trust. DRI can do anything they want to the trust. They have already taken their "Hawaii" trust and added properties that have nothing to do with Hawaii, thus diluting the value, but giving them more stuff to sell. I too make sure to attend the "update", take the offered goodies and give them a solid "no way!"

Robert H.
Mar 08, 2013

To clarify your comment about turn in your deeded timeshare for DRI points, my understanding is that you retain your fee simple timeshare and signing up for points is a service allowing you to trade into other DRI resorts(nothing more). However, signing up for DRI points has a sinister clause in it that you forfeit all of your voting rights to DRI. The more people who sign up for DRI points, the stronger DRI controls the Board at the resort where you own. Maybe DRI should become a home developer, where they stuff the board of the homeowners association with their employees and simply tell the homeowners what they get for services and how much to pay DRI for the services. Wouldn't that be great that the homeowners have no say, just legally bound to pay as demanded by the service manger. People need to wake up, cancel their DRI points agreement and join www.poipuowners.org. I know it hurts to walk away from the paid for DRI points system, but it is better to retain your deed, enjoy your home resort and work toward gaining control of the Board. Even if you don't own DRI points and don't have any complaints, you should strongly consider joining www.poipuowners.org just to be able to vote as a collective group of timeshare owners.

Robert M.
Mar 08, 2013

Yes, But the COPP sold out to DRI in settling the class action lawsuit... You cannot have it both ways, DRI should have been taken to trial, the discovery process would have shown DRI's ( in my opinion ) their fraudulent business practice of selling air as a dream... The Maintenance fee's are over $ 100,000 a year per unit from the membership.. The number of member weeks which is greater than the number of units multiplied by the weeks in the year... On top of that they then sell non members vacation time at a rate of 1/3 the members maintenance fee rate per day if they will sit through a 'sales presentation' so they can add more members... Its like selling AIR

Michael D.
Mar 09, 2013

I believe my annual maintenance fee is about $1600/yr so 52 weeks of rental equals $83,200 per unit; not "over $100,000" as you claim. This is pretty much in line with the industry in Hawaii. I don't do DRI points, which I've heard has an additional annual fee. However, that is a "service", like RCI and Interval International. I don't happen to believe DRI is remotely worth the fees charged. DRI may be selling "air", like the airlines oversell seats. However, I don't care what they do with the weeks they own. The good news is that they can't rent my fee simple week, because I own it.

Robert M.
Mar 09, 2013

To robert3451: Check it out next time. It isn't just a service like II or RCI. DRI ends up controlling the deed. That is why they now have enough votes to control the resort.

Robert H.
Mar 10, 2013

I totally agree with you. Guess I didn't make myself clear in referencing RCI and II.

Robert M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.