Kaanapali Beach Club

Ka'anapali Beach Owners Check Here

Mar 07, 2017

I figured it must be a sore point with them. However my points do not show up in my US collection the manager that I just got off the phone with claimed it was due to licensing. He claimed that if contacted Ka'anapali they would see my points however to the rest of DRI they don't seem to exist. I pay money like they exist. Not sure how to proceed or even what questions to ask.

Steve B.
Mar 08, 2017

Get cash or keep your deed. That is the only leverage we have left... Won't be long and I won't be able to get my semi-ocean room anymore. That won't go smooth!

James M.
Mar 15, 2017

I am also a deeded owner from 2000 and am very concerned about the potential for special assessments or a drastic increase in maintenance fees, due to the beach eroision. Am considering selling, at a reduced cost, because of this. Would appreciate hearing from other owners in similar situations. Diamond keeps trying to get me to convert from weeks to points, but I don't plan on doing so.

Tim N.
Mar 15, 2017

I thought all KBC Owner's Associations were affiliated with Diamond? Does anyone have contact information for the KBC Owners Association?

Tim N.
Mar 16, 2017

First, Diamond Resorts International (DRI) went public which said to me that they no longer were going to see after the best interest of their owners rather that of their shareholders.

Then I saw this beach erosion coming; higher & higher outrageous maintenance fees; unnecessary movement of buildings & equipment and other issues on the horizon.

I had 3 contracts; one for 46,000 points and two for 3,500 points. I could not get rid of what I had for the $300 per contract. I relinquished my points back to Diamond Resorts International (DRI).

timn122 wrote:
I am also a deeded owner from 2000 and am very concerned about the potential for special assessments or a drastic increase in maintenance fees, due to the beach eroision. Am considering selling, at a reduced cost, because of this. Would appreciate hearing from other owners in similar situations. Diamond keeps trying to get me to convert from weeks to points, but I don't plan on doing so.

Kathleen F.

Last edited by kathleenf57 on Mar 16, 2017 09:28 PM

Mar 17, 2017

I am a deeded owner looking into selling my annual floating week for a deluxe ocean view unit. I understand there is a first right of refusal. Any one know the best route to sell/negotiate and what that might go for?

Ann B.
Mar 17, 2017

They will offer to take in your floating week and, for a price, convert it to points at the deluxe level. Then you also have to join The Club (about $500 per year on top of maintenance fees.) The advantage is that you might be able to get more time because you are in the points system if you are at Silver or above in your points plus you can book earlier, the disadvantage is you get what is available. Sunterra introduced The Club and allowed you in (for a price) but you kept your deed - that's what we are. Kind of the best of both worlds, but a world DRI cannot stand.

Kristen K.
Mar 17, 2017

When there was significant damage at Poipu a couple years ago all owners in the Hawaii Collection were assessed. As a deeded owner/Silver member we were not assessed. The only assessment we've had was for remodeling all the units a few years ago. If I were in the Hawaii Collection I would be very worried right now about the erosion.

Shamefully our Board of Directors does not communicate with us AT ALL about the erosion. I found out about the first round when we were there in July and shocked to see the beach closed. Last week friends sent us pictures of even more damage. What good is a Board of Directors that operates internally, with no outward communication?

Kristen K.
Mar 17, 2017

I smell a Class action in the future. Anyone want to investigate a lawyer who will take this on on a contingency basis?

Jerry U.
Mar 18, 2017

I am a deeded owner from 2000 and am interested in initiating a class action lawsuit. I know a local attorney (Maui), who might be interested in taking it, on a contingency fee basis. The basis for the lawsuit would be deceptive sales practices, as well as being non-responsive to owners concerning maintenance fee/special assessment issues. Any others interested?

Tim N.
Mar 18, 2017

We have posted many news stories and columns about the many changes at Diamond. Please see our BLOG on this site.

To clear up some owner perceptions, here are some facts:

1. Diamond is no longer a public company. It was acquired by Apollo Global Management last year and is now private, which means no quarterly reports for investors. 2. Diamond just introduced a relinquishment program for owners who want to get out and cannot sell their units. It is a selective program, meaning that Diamond will take back properties it wants to put into its trust program. It is a huge win for Diamond, because it can rebuild and expand inventory by taking back units, from desperate owners, without having to pay for the units. 3. Upshot of this program is that it enables Diamond to continue selling new points packages at retail ($20K per week avg. pricing) without having to buy or build new resorts. 4. Diamond agreed to an $800,000 settlement with the Arizona Attorney General around Thanksgiving where it agreed to take back units from owners who bought between 2011 and 2017. If you bought a Diamond timeshare in Arizona during that time, you may be eligible for some restitution. Contact the Arizona AG's office for more information. 5. One month after the Arizona settlement, Diamond introduced Clarity, a new program to train sales people in ethical business practices. If you have gone to a Diamond presentation recently, please tell other owners, on this site, about what the sales team told you about Clarity. 6. Diamond just announced a new CEO, Michael Flaskey, the third CEO in four months. He used to run sales at Diamond from 2010 on.

Jeffrey W.
Mar 19, 2017

I would join you but I purchased my interest on the secondary market. I am a lawyer but dont practice in Hawaii. I think the framework is there. Once you get a group together you will get Appolos attention

Jerry U.
Mar 28, 2017

I tried to go the link kaanapalibeachresortowners.com/dnn bit it no longer exists. Is this an active site? I am an owner of one deeded week at Ka'anapali Beach Club and am really concerned about the increase in maintenance fees. I don't want to leave my email address in this post. If anybody is monitoring this site please send a text to Dan at (805) 368-1500.

Dan R.
Mar 28, 2017

Yes, I am interested in a class action lawsuit. You can text Dan at (805) 368-1500. We bought around 1999-2000 timeframe.

timn122 wrote:
I am a deeded owner from 2000 and am interested in initiating a class action lawsuit. I know a local attorney (Maui), who might be interested in taking it, on a contingency fee basis. The basis for the lawsuit would be deceptive sales practices, as well as being non-responsive to owners concerning maintenance fee/special assessment issues. Any others interested?

Dan R.
Mar 28, 2017

vacationo wrote:
My wife and I purchased back when it was Ebassy Suites in 2000 and have enjoyed several vacations on the Island. Now with DRI at the management helm I can't afford to get to Hawaii and stay at KBC which is upsetting as we do enjoy our time there.

DRI Hiked the fees charged for KBC resort management from 950,000 in 2008 to 2.5 million in 2009 explaining that management fees were not inline withindustry standards, DRI being the industry standard of which they speak I'm sure (sounds alot like wool being pulled, if you ask me).

How does DRI say "SCREW YOU"? "TRUST" me... I did not join their "TRUST" program, but still I'm stuck funding thier corporate beast. Do these guy really have this much power over the owners? I have read nothing but bad new about DRI and thier underhanded tactics. How do we unravel these guys?

Cocerned Vacation Owner

Hello concerned owner, I saw your really old post from 2010. I also bought in 2000-2001 and really not happy about the huge increase in maintenance fees. Do you still own here? Dan Roth, cell: (805)368-1500, DanRoth911@aol.com

Dan R.
Mar 28, 2017

timn122 wrote:

Hi Tim, we also bought one deeded week of a one bedroom ocean view about 2000-2001 timeframe and I am really unhappy about the increase in maintenance fees, particularly over the last several years. We got to KBC yesterday and they had us to a "VIP check-in" which just meant it was a high pressure sales pitch for us to convert our deeded week to the points system which I have no intention of doing so. I have done research today and found that there are probably a LOT of other KBC owners who are not happy either. Here is my contact info - let's compare notes. Dan Roth, cell: (805)368-1500, DanRoth911@aol.com

Dan R.
Mar 28, 2017

I am in. What we have is far different than what we bought in 2001. If I could get the room I want and not have to plan my life a year in advance, I would be happy. We intetionally bought here because we did not want to trade...and now we are lucky to get what we request. DRI erred in treating all owners the same. First rule of sales? Know your audience. DRI hasn't bothered to know us. Hell, I run for the Board annually on the basis of better communications. They don't even bother to tell me I didn't win.

Kristen K.
Mar 28, 2017

annb255 wrote:
I am a deeded owner looking into selling my annual floating week for a deluxe ocean view unit. I understand there is a first right of refusal. Any one know the best route to sell/negotiate and what that might go for?

Hi Ann, I am checking into the same thing. Did you find out any info? We got to KBC yesterday and they had us do a "VIP check-in" which just meant it was a high pressure sales pitch for us to convert our deeded week to the points system which I have no intention of doing so. I have done research today and found that there are probably a LOT of other KBC owners who are not happy either. Here is my contact info - let's compare notes. Dan Roth, Simi Valley, CA, cell: (805)368-1500, DanRoth911@aol.com

Dan R.
Mar 28, 2017

kristenk15 wrote:
I am in. What we have is far different than what we bought in 2001. If I could get the room I want and not have to plan my life a year in advance, I would be happy. We intetionally bought here because we did not want to trade...and now we are lucky to get what we request. DRI erred in treating all owners the same. First rule of sales? Know your audience. DRI hasn't bothered to know us. Hell, I run for the Board annually on the basis of better communications. They don't even bother to tell me I didn't win.

Kristen, it sounds like we are in the same boat - I feel the same way as we bought in the 2000-2001 timeframe. Here is my contact info - email, text or call me and let's compare notes. Dan Roth, cell: (805)368-1500, DanRoth911@aol.com

Dan R.
Mar 29, 2017

And I thought I was the only one! ;-) Isnt it funny you have to call them for the election results!?!? I asked for an owners update without the sales pitch when we were there a couple weeks ago- they refused! Through the rumor mill I found out they are repainting the interior of the towers a tan color instead of the pink, and also tearing out the green tile and replacing it with ??? If you havnt done so, ask for the election vote count- you'll be shocked...or not. Diamond uses ~11,000 votes from 'the collection' to elect whomever they choose! This seems to violate the spirit if not the letter of the bylaws...but those are another scam as well- there is language in there that says the Diamond appointed board can remove the owner-elected board member if they choose... I'll keep running every year as well in hopes we can make a change. -Steve Carrozzo

Steve C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.