Kaanapali Beach Club

Ka'anapali Beach Owners Check Here

Mar 31, 2017

We arrived at KBC Tuesday and our "update" guy said we would be crazy to give up our deeds. We purchased in 2001 under Embassy then again in 2003 under Sunterra, which got us into points without giving up deeds.

They told us we had a $3.90 "lock" to buy more at a time when they are selling at $10.22...if they want to get rid of deeded owners, why not buy them out at their lock and be done? We paid just under $2 a point back in the day. No way we would buy more and pay that much more maintenance.

Kristen K.
Mar 31, 2017

Kristen, if you are still here at KBC give me a call on my cell (805)368-1500. I talked with Owner Services yesterday. Let's trade info.

Dan Roth

kristenk15 wrote:
We arrived at KBC Tuesday and our "update" guy said we would be crazy to give up our deeds. We purchased in 2001 under Embassy then again in 2003 under Sunterra, which got us into points without giving up deeds.

They told us we had a $3.90 "lock" to buy more at a time when they are selling at $10.22...if they want to get rid of deeded owners, why not buy them out at their lock and be done? We paid just under $2 a point back in the day. No way we would buy more and pay that much more maintenance.

Dan R.
Apr 03, 2017

I too purchased in 2001 under Embassy-1 deeded deluxe ocean view floating week annually. I haven't personally been to KBC since about 2013. It is very unfortunate that the beautiful beach is eroding. Please keep us all posted as to other changes to the property-good or bad- as well as projected projects/expenses.

I would be interested in a class action suit and any tips on the best route to sell my deed. I do not think I care to continue ownership or affiliation with Diamond.

Ann B.
Apr 06, 2017

Ann b If you would like updates on the class action filed against DRI and advice on relinquishment, please join our member sponsored advocacy Facebook group. We have helped about 40 owners with seven positive outcomes and most of the time an attorney is not needed unless a negative outcome occurs. We are members helping other members.

We seek to provide Diamond Resort members a way to proactively address membership concerns; to advocate for timeshare reform; to obtain greater disclosure from the company; to advocate for a viable secondary market; and to educate prospective buyers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DiamondResortsOwnersAdvocacy/

Irene P.
Apr 06, 2017

Dan, I am still here. Whale watching today, kids leaving tomorrow. Saturday through Monday are pretty light. Home Tuesday. Are you still here?

Kristen K.
Apr 06, 2017

The election result is expected. DRI has 5% of the vote but I think their votes weighted more. There is hundreds of candidates listed in there. I was in Diamond Resort International (not DRI) facebook group trying to see who is running. There are 7.7K members in the facebook group. Most of them may not belong to DRI Hawaii. If randomly voting, each candidate would only gets 1%. If we con focus and combine, we might have a chance. The reason DRI ask people to apply to be candidate, is the more the better for their own people to win.

I converted my Kaanapali Beach Club deed to Sunterra and then to DRI. I regret. It is too late. The points does not worth much and the maintenance fee in Hawaii is higher then DRI other places. They tried to pursued me to switch to DRI US. I refused.

Corinna W.

Last edited by cwu on Apr 07, 2017 01:36 PM

Jan 29, 2018

At the resort now. Looking for answers to who was elected to the Board, and for an accounting of fees and taxes. Homeowners Board of Directors office is gone and do is the owners services office. Something wrong here.

John C.
Jan 30, 2018

Well, its another election year where Diamond will control the vote with their questionably 'weighted' votes from the trust. In case you were interested here are last years results (cut and pasted below). The first number next to the name are the number of real votes, the 2nd number are the so-called weighted votes. I am on the ballot again in hopes of ending this scam and providing a real voice for the owners...but im sad to say I am certain we will be steamrolled once again.

Candidate/Issue Total Votes Total Weighted AOAO Directors:

Brian Arnold 67 131 Glen Viste 12 20 Jason Toste 346 12844.17 Jay Flake 57 123 Jerome Schmehl 22 39 Kristen Kirkpatrick 166 308 Laurie Kurilla 76 139 Mo Chaudry 22 33 Richard Friedman 29 56 Steve Carrozzo 377 758 W.F. "Terry" Newgreen 238 448 WriteIn 7 17 VOA Directors: Brian Arnold 141 252 Glen Viste 16 26 Jay Flake 107 230 Jerome Schmehl 30 55 Kathy Wheeler 546 13204.5 Kristen Kirkpatrick 360 715 Laurie Kurilla 113 211 Mo Chaudry 30 52 Richard Friedman 50 95 Ron Wade 537 13199.5 Steve Carrozzo 669 1299 W.F. "Terry" Newgreen 459 903 WriteIn 7 12

- Steve Carrozzo

Steve C.
Feb 16, 2018

Thanks for posting the list. Are you indicating that "your" 669 votes translated to 1,299 weighted votes and 346 votes for another candidate translates to 12,844? How can that be? First of all I was told that there are only ~ 225 rooms and even at a full use 52 weeks a year is only 11,700 possible votes? What is the methodology for weighting? Do the those with KBR points (home resort) give up their vote to the trust?

How many of the list below are true owners? How many board members from the list were actually elected?

Second related question when requesting a particular week, What is the membership population you are competing against. If I am a deeded Dlx ocean view owner am I completing only against other deeded owners with the same view category or am I competing against some inflated trust population?

Real Weighted Brian Arnold 67 131 Glen Viste 12 20 Jason Toste 346 12,844 Jay Flake 57 123 Jerome Schmehl 22 39 Kristen Kirkpatrick 166 308 Laurie Kurilla 76 139 Mo Chaudry 22 33 Richard Friedman 29 56 Steve Carrozzo 377 758 W.F. "Terry" Newgreen 238 448 WriteIn 7 17 1,419 14,916

Roger W.
Feb 17, 2018

As of December, 2017, DRI no longer has the first right of refusal for Ka'anapali Beach Club deeds.

danr356 wrote:
annb255 wrote:
I am a deeded owner looking into selling my annual floating week for a deluxe ocean view unit. I understand there is a first right of refusal. Any one know the best route to sell/negotiate and what that might go for?

Hi Ann, I am checking into the same thing. Did you find out any info? We got to KBC yesterday and they had us do a "VIP check-in" which just meant it was a high pressure sales pitch for us to convert our deeded week to the points system which I have no intention of doing so. I have done research today and found that there are probably a LOT of other KBC owners who are not happy either. Here is my contact info - let's compare notes. Dan Roth, Simi Valley, CA, cell: (805)368-1500, DanRoth911@aol.com

Gary B.
Aug 20, 2018

I have some close friends who want to take over by deeded timeshare at Ka'anapali Beach club resorts, I am a widow now and can't afford to pay the maintenance fees every year. I am having a heck of a time trying to find out who I have to talk to. Diamond Resorts says it isn't them. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Darlynn F.
Aug 20, 2018

I just gifted two of my deeded weeks to two separate parties. I used California attorney, Mark Bidwell. The process is simple if it is a gift. He charges around $250 and works quickly. Once the deed is recorded in the new owners’ name, you send a copy of the recorded deed (write the contract no. On the deed) with a check for $250 to Diamond Resorts for them to change their records. Diamond Resorts Inventory Recovery 10600 W Charleston Blvd Las Vegas, NV 89135 Contact the attorney, Mark Bidwell, at Mark@deedandrecord.com This was so easy! Best, Denise

Denise D.
Aug 20, 2018

denise105, Thank you so much for the information. I have been trying to get this done for a couple of years.

Darlynn F.
Aug 21, 2018

Diamond's First right of refusal expired Dec. 2017.

Gary B.
Aug 22, 2018

To those who just want out, you can also request that Diamond Resorts take back your timeshare via their transitions program. Cost $250 to process the request. The following conditions must be met in order to be approved for the Transitions program: · You must have no existing loan balance or other lien encumbering the vacation ownership · You must be current on the payment of all maintenance fees up to the year for which you are relinquishing · You must have a clear and free title to the vacation ownership · All future reservations must be cancelled or traveled on prior to submitting a request Transitions® | Diamond Resorts International® Email: Transitions@diamondresorts.com | Phone: 855-342-3689 Email LossMitigation@diamondresorts.com

Ann B.
Dec 04, 2018

Has anyone heard of an upcoming assessment to repair the beach erosion? I recently attended an update meeting and was encouraged to get out of the Hawaiian collection. I was told that in 2020 owners will be charged an assessment to repair the beach erosion. My assessment was estimated to be around $6,000,

Nancy H.
Dec 05, 2018

We call this switch from one Collection to another for reasons that do not exist the Ping Pong up-sell. Our member sponsored Facebook has heard complaints from 543 Diamond members. One Virginia Diamond sales agent was showing a member pictures of decaying air-conditioners in Hawaii, as the reason they needed to switch to the US Collection from the Hawaii Collection. A retired letter carrier, forced into insolvency because he was switched back and forth, up-sold to $2,700 a month in Diamond loan payments, was told in Florida he should not have purchased the Hawaii collection because Hawaii has hurricanes! This is a link about the 2012 Kauai assessment.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60625-i1817-k5926954-Settlement_Reached_Between_Diamond_Point_at_Poipu_Owners-Poipu_Kauai_Hawaii.html

One US Collection member checked and reported to us that he was told the state was going to pay for recent beach erosion. After the programs presented (that do not exist), about the ability to eliminate maintenance fees or be able to sell points, the Ping Pong up-sell is the most common complaint.

One Diamond member is an ocean engineer. He said, first, 2020 is too far out to predict with any sort of fidelity. In other words, concrete financial planning numbers at this stage are unlikely. He said the member should ask for documentation to support the $6,000 estimate. There is an effort to have cost sharing between stakeholders and the federal entities. He has not heard of a federal project in Hawaii. It could be state, but most major beach nourishment projects are underwritten in part by the federal government. He has not heard of a state paying for damages from a flood. The member needs to know what specifically the $6,000 assessment is for, in more detail than just beach erosion. Is it for protection or for damage that has already occurred? One is flood damage expense, the other is flood protection afforded by beach nourishment projects.

Irene P.

Last edited by irenep59 on Dec 05, 2018 06:13 AM

Dec 05, 2018

I appreciate your quick response. We are cancelling our contract to move to the US collection. It's a shame that they are allowed to take advantage of clients through deceit.

Nancy H.
Dec 06, 2018

Thank you - I was writing an article about special assessments and with the brilliant response from the Ocean Engineer, I will use your question (not your name), since your question was so generic and asked so often, and his answer as part of the article, so thank you. By posting your question, you may have kept others from getting duped.

Irene P.
Feb 16, 2019

Kristen, I am a owner of a one week Deluxe Ocean Front unit - got it when it was the Embassy, in the past I have communicated with Bill Burns . Now I see that you are running for Director again as well as Steve Carrozzo. In the past you have gotten more votes than Steve so I would like to cast all my votes for you hoping we can get more owners on the board. What do you think ? Are any of the Incumbents on our side ? What is the best way to contact you as I see that Dan Roth has posted his phone number also.

kristenk15 wrote:
I am in. What we have is far different than what we bought in 2001. If I could get the room I want and not have to plan my life a year in advance, I would be happy. We intetionally bought here because we did not want to trade...and now we are lucky to get what we request. DRI erred in treating all owners the same. First rule of sales? Know your audience. DRI hasn't bothered to know us. Hell, I run for the Board annually on the basis of better communications. They don't even bother to tell me I didn't win.

David L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.